Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-29-2009, 09:13 AM

267 posts, read 1,175,674 times

Advertisements

This just upsets me. And enrages me. I just heard on Ch14 news that the bus was hit from behind! Who hits a school bus? More so, it had to be a truck- certainly a bigger vehicle. How could this happen?
I am also angry at whoever is responsible for routing this bus. To the best of my knowledge school buses, including the activity buses do not have seat belts, and for this reason always route themselves through local roads. At least this has always been my experience. I once went along with my son's class to the nature museum, and while I took the interstate, they took forever thru local roads. But they were SAFE!
This is just scary. Doesn't sound like there were major injuries. Thank God! I would really like to know what that bus was doing on the interstate!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2009, 09:27 AM

Bus was from Coxmill and they were heading to Camp Thunderbird. Just heard.

Old 04-29-2009, 09:37 AM

11,839 posts, read 28,937,235 times
Most times problems result because those buses are going too slow.

Old 04-29-2009, 09:45 AM

1,877 posts, read 4,862,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BonVivant View Post
This just upsets me. And enrages me. I just heard on Ch14 news that the bus was hit from behind! Who hits a school bus? More so, it had to be a truck- certainly a bigger vehicle. How could this happen?
I am also angry at whoever is responsible for routing this bus. To the best of my knowledge school buses, including the activity buses do not have seat belts, and for this reason always route themselves through local roads. At least this has always been my experience. I once went along with my son's class to the nature museum, and while I took the interstate, they took forever thru local roads. But they were SAFE!
This is just scary. Doesn't sound like there were major injuries. Thank God! I would really like to know what that bus was doing on the interstate!
How long have you lived here? Buses on the interstate are a DAILY occurance. School buses are governed at 45mph, and activities buses are governed at 55. I completely agree that this is a terribly dangerous situation, but good luck getting the schools to change it!!

Old 04-29-2009, 09:45 AM

45,218 posts, read 100,676,096 times
Quote:
Buses travel the interstates all the time, not sure why you think this one wasn't supposed to be on I77?

Though I do agree I'd prefer not to see them on the interstate either just because they do go slower and the risks to kids seems higher.

Old 04-29-2009, 10:03 AM

2,193 posts, read 5,052,565 times
Quote:
I don't understand your question, who hits a school bus?
I'm sure whoever did was hoping to get into an accident with a bus, it's a lifelong dream of people to do this... lol.

Anyway, this is why it's called an accident, it wasn't done on purpose.

Old 04-29-2009, 10:57 AM

11,839 posts, read 28,937,235 times
Most of the people that hit a large slow moving vehicle aren't paying attention to driving conditions to start with.

Old 04-29-2009, 11:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoagie58 View Post
How long have you lived here? Buses on the interstate are a DAILY occurance. School buses are governed at 45mph, and activities buses are governed at 55. I completely agree that this is a terribly dangerous situation, but good luck getting the schools to change it!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
Buses travel the interstates all the time, not sure why you think this one wasn't supposed to be on I77?

Though I do agree I'd prefer not to see them on the interstate either just because they do go slower and the risks to kids seems higher.

Well, lived here a long time. Though I'm on the interstate constantly, I'll admit I haven't commuted on the interstate on a regular basis. The back roads have always been my shortest route anyway. So perhaps I have not seen school buses during school times on the interstate. I know regular buses use the interstate all the time. But I have never seen a yellow or white school bus on the interstate. Besides I was told (during that nature museum trip I went on) that school buses never take the interstate. I suppose they meant just that school. Good practice anyway.

Old 04-29-2009, 08:44 PM
ASC

50 posts, read 137,398 times
For Clarification...

School Buses are not allowed on the interstate. Yes, you probably see them on the interstate alot, but next time you see one, look inside the bus, I doubt you'll see any kids on it. School buses are not allowed on the interstate when they are transporting kids.

Activity Buses are a different story. Those buses are allowed on the interstate. I assume they are allowed because the risk is supposed to be lower as the average class takes a field trip that requires traveling a good distance once a year, if that.

I agree, buses on the interstate isn't the best thing, but then again, the road is for everyone. We are all supposed to be defensive drivers and paying attention. If we are paying attention, it shouldn't be that difficult (for people with average intelligence) to see the school bus from a good distance (heck, it is a huge yellow bus), adjust speed, and change lanes to pass. School buses are always in the far right line anyways, it's not like they are blocking the passing lanes.

Also, remember this before you place blame on the bus driver, or direct harsh words towards her...

HER CHILD WAS ON THAT BUS TOO...

Old 04-29-2009, 09:00 PM

45,218 posts, read 100,676,096 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ASC View Post
For Clarification...

School Buses are not allowed on the interstate. Yes, you probably see them on the interstate alot, but next time you see one, look inside the bus, I doubt you'll see any kids on it. School buses are not allowed on the interstate when they are transporting kids.

Activity Buses are a different story. Those buses are allowed on the interstate. I assume they are allowed because the risk is supposed to be lower as the average class takes a field trip that requires traveling a good distance once a year, if that.

I agree, buses on the interstate isn't the best thing, but then again, the road is for everyone. We are all supposed to be defensive drivers and paying attention. If we are paying attention, it shouldn't be that difficult (for people with average intelligence) to see the school bus from a good distance (heck, it is a huge yellow bus), adjust speed, and change lanes to pass. School buses are always in the far right line anyways, it's not like they are blocking the passing lanes.

Also, remember this before you place blame on the bus driver, or direct harsh words towards her...

HER CHILD WAS ON THAT BUS TOO...
Well, an activity bus IS a school bus just painted blue instead of yellow But I do get your point.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte