U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-29-2009, 03:43 PM

169 posts, read 412,023 times

Advertisements

We are planning to move to Union County this year and are looking for information on the Monroe area. Is it safe? How are the schools? We don't have children (are retired) but would like to be in a good school district. Looking for a single family home on over half an acre costing no more than 350K.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2009, 03:58 PM

45,270 posts, read 88,380,615 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dukesmom View Post
We are planning to move to Union County this year and are looking for information on the Monroe area. Is it safe? How are the schools? We don't have children (are retired) but would like to be in a good school district. Looking for a single family home on over half an acre costing no more than 350K.
Union County is very rural. Monroe is the largest town in the county with about 30,000 people. It's a pretty safe area in general.

Western Union County, where it borders Charlotte, is pretty densely populated, making it less appealing to me. The best schools are clustered there, but I would not let that keep you from looking at ALL parts of the county - especially if you are looking for a quiet, peaceful life without too much congestion.

My favorite part of Union County is actually up on the north end - I really like areas like Unionville and Brief, nearer to Mint Hill

Old 04-29-2009, 04:31 PM

2,162 posts, read 2,361,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
Union County is very rural. Monroe is the largest town in the county with about 30,000 people. It's a pretty safe area in general.

Western Union County, where it borders Charlotte, is pretty densely populated, making it less appealing to me. The best schools are clustered there, but I would not let that keep you from looking at ALL parts of the county - especially if you are looking for a quiet, peaceful life without too much congestion.

My favorite part of Union County is actually up on the north end - I really like areas like Unionville and Brief, nearer to Mint Hill
lovesMountains I'd love to argue with you a bit about your comment in bold face above. What facts are you using to come to that conclusion. If you are going to use the higher standardized score argument I would counter with that's an average, and not a true representation of the educational opportunities available at all county schools. I believe if you take a certain student profile and find a few individual students that fit that profile you will find comparable scores regardless of the school assignment.

If you mean the schools in the Western part of the county are predominantly newer, then I would agree. I have talked to architects and they have yet to figure out how to build old schools.

People tend to confuse the overall population base with "good" or "bad" schools. If the population cluster of a certain portion of the county is more affluent than another portion then the affluent portion will have "better" schools and the less affluent portion will have "worse" schools.
Socio-economics at it's finest. The school system of Union County has no criteria for socio-economic school assignments.

I do agree with you, the northern part of the county is beautiful, but so is the Landsford Rd. area, or out around Prospect, or the area around Cane Creek Park that borders S.C.

Old 04-29-2009, 04:37 PM

540 posts, read 1,520,176 times
Monroe is where all the Union country crime is - you'd want to stay away from the downtown area and the area near icemorlee rd - if you can get just east (or north) of 74, you'd be gold....better Monroe schools are over there...

Old 04-29-2009, 04:40 PM

45,270 posts, read 88,380,615 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by getatag View Post
lovesMountains I'd love to argue with you a bit about your comment in bold face above. What facts are you using to come to that conclusion. If you are going to use the higher standardized score argument I would counter with that's an average, and not a true representation of the educational opportunities available at all county schools. I believe if you take a certain student profile and find a few individual students that fit that profile you will find comparable scores regardless of the school assignment.

If you mean the schools in the Western part of the county are predominantly newer, then I would agree. I have talked to architects and they have yet to figure out how to build old schools.

People tend to confuse the overall population base with "good" or "bad" schools. If the population cluster of a certain portion of the county is more affluent than another portion then the affluent portion will have "better" schools and the less affluent portion will have "worse" schools.
Socio-economics at it's finest. The school system of Union County has no criteria for socio-economic school assignments.

I do agree with you, the northern part of the county is beautiful, but so is the Landsford Rd. area, or out around Prospect, or the area around Cane Creek Park that borders S.C.
Didn't mean to insinuate that good schools can't be found in other parts of the county (they can) - just that you have a real cluster there in western Union where every single school is good.

Old 04-29-2009, 04:57 PM

494 posts, read 1,181,230 times
I have a friend who bought a GORGEOUS old Victorian in Monore. They live in a beautiful neighborhood right in town and love their neighbors. However, she did send her children to private school as she had many concerns about the safety/performance of schools in Monroe. However, if you do not have children this may not be of concern to you. It appears to me that Monroe is working hard to rebuild its reputations as many new things are popping up left and right!

Old 04-29-2009, 05:00 PM

172 posts, read 406,086 times
We live in Monroe out in the Parkwood school district. We love the area. Monroe is about 10-15 minutes from us. We've never had a problem with crime. We have a 1.88 acre lot for sale in Cane Point Subdivision if you're interested.

Old 04-30-2009, 04:53 AM

175 posts, read 360,207 times
You should be able to land a great home for well under $350K in the area north and west of Monroe. I would advise you to look towards Unionville and anything that wraps north and west of there around towards Indian Trail. Very nice area and you can get more for your money. Try to avoid anything in the actual city limits of Monroe because of higher taxes. Look for something in either the town limits of Unionville or Fairview (will still have a Monroe mailing address so dont get confused) any realtor should be able to help you with that. By following that advise you would save somewhere around $1500 a year in taxes....and nowadays every buck matters. Of course I would argue that there is never a good day to just give away our money to government!!

Anyway....there is a great deal of beauty in UC...and the crime is not bad. You can check the daily bulletin from the Sheriff at Union County Sheriff Office P2C - provided by OSSI this will give you details on what is up!

Old 04-30-2009, 05:42 AM

2,560 posts, read 6,069,916 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdaddyd View Post
You should be able to land a great home for well under $350K in the area north and west of Monroe. I would advise you to look towards Unionville and anything that wraps north and west of there around towards Indian Trail. Very nice area and you can get more for your money. Try to avoid anything in the actual city limits of Monroe because of higher taxes. Look for something in either the town limits of Unionville or Fairview (will still have a Monroe mailing address so dont get confused) any realtor should be able to help you with that. By following that advise you would save somewhere around $1500 a year in taxes....and nowadays every buck matters. Of course I would argue that there is never a good day to just give away our money to government!!

Anyway....there is a great deal of beauty in UC...and the crime is not bad. You can check the daily bulletin from the Sheriff at Union County Sheriff Office P2C - provided by OSSI this will give you details on what is up!
Great website Bigdaddy, I'm adding it to my favorites.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte