U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-01-2009, 12:22 PM

36 posts, read 152,928 times

Advertisements

Hello! This is my first post so I apologize if it is in the wrong place.

I have a few questions about Huntersville.

First, is there a charter school/homes schooling community presence? I did look it up but all I really see are religiously themed schools, and though I am religious I would prefer that instruction come from me and my husband and not have it integrated into school curriculum. It could just be my general dislike/mistrust of CA schools but I am losing faith in the public school system. We have 2 young daughters and are exploring options right now.

Second, I am looking to see if there are any local organic or Whole Foods type stores around. We currently live in CA and are spoiled by all of the choices, but I am wondering what the choices are out there? Farmers markets in the spring/summer? What are the major grocery chains? What about drugstores? Target or Walmart, or no bix box stores allowed?

Thanks in advance for any information. Huntersville/Cornelius seems to be a really nice community and everyone is so friendly on here. I hope to learn more and will be taking a visit out there soon so I look forward to any information you can give about the area. Really after a ton of research of places all over the country, this looks like a little slice of heaven!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-01-2009, 12:32 PM

45,270 posts, read 88,319,180 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by victoriaR View Post
Hello! This is my first post so I apologize if it is in the wrong place.

I have a few questions about Huntersville.

First, is there a charter school/homes schooling community presence? I did look it up but all I really see are religiously themed schools, and though I am religious I would prefer that instruction come from me and my husband and not have it integrated into school curriculum. It could just be my general dislike/mistrust of CA schools but I am losing faith in the public school system. We have 2 young daughters and are exploring options right now.

Second, I am looking to see if there are any local organic or Whole Foods type stores around. We currently live in CA and are spoiled by all of the choices, but I am wondering what the choices are out there? Farmers markets in the spring/summer? What are the major grocery chains? What about drugstores? Target or Walmart, or no bix box stores allowed?

Thanks in advance for any information. Huntersville/Cornelius seems to be a really nice community and everyone is so friendly on here. I hope to learn more and will be taking a visit out there soon so I look forward to any information you can give about the area. Really after a ton of research of places all over the country, this looks like a little slice of heaven!

If you haven't read it a few dozen times here by now, let me say, do not plan a move until you have secured a job. It is pretty difficult to find jobs here right now and our umemployment will probably reach 13% before too long.

Huntersville and Cornelius are nice places - a bit overcrowded now for my tastes with all the newcomers, but lots of great neighborhoods. Both are pretty safe areas.

You would find all the regular retail, plus a new Akei store a short drive away in northeast Charlotte. You won't find the emphasis on ogranically grown food here, or HUGE farmers markets, but we do have a few Trader Joe's, the Home Economist and Earth Fare (though down in Charlotte, not in Huntersville) with corner farmers markets sprinkled throughtout the metro area. Plan to visit as soon as you are able, before you get your heart too set on one place on paper - so many times people come to see one part of the metro, but fall in love with another. Best of luck to you!

Old 05-01-2009, 12:32 PM

21,956 posts, read 21,444,561 times
You will be pleasantly suprised----we have all those places you mentioned for shopping. Well, at least within a short drive. The big difference between CA and here is you do have to drive a bit to places here--but it is a scenic drive on country type roads usually.
As far as schools--and believe me I can totally relate with the loss of faith in the school systems in CA..we moved here 2 years ago from CA. The schools here, even the public schools are leaps and bounds ahead of the schools in CA. I have a grandaughter that just started school here in Huntersville and we are amazed at her progress. She is happy and very well adjusted in just one year. Her maners have improved so much also. This is the Bible Belt so many of the schools are religious type schools. I am sure someone else with children in the schools here can tell you more I just wanted to let you know that everything you mentioned is here and that the schools are so much better then what you are leaving---believe me!! I will also add the home schooling presence is pretty big here too. Lots of involvement!

Old 05-01-2009, 12:45 PM

36 posts, read 152,928 times
Thank you

Yes, to the pp (sorry I forgot your sn) but we will be securing a job before moving. I am also willing to wait for the right employment op if it's an area I can see myself living in for many many more years.
AFA overpopulation, I am familiar with it as we are from an area that was mainly fields until about 5 years ago and then BOOM! Now theres a mall, hundreds of thousands of people and a mecca for new developers and sprawl-o-rama. I do like the charm of older homes/stores better than the manufactured ones, but I know the new constructions aren't easy to avoid. I like people though, and I'm really chatty (probably will come out in my posts) so I think I will probably do okay.

And thank you, yes, the schools here are....horrible. I am glad to know there is a home-schooling community. That makes me happy!

Old 05-01-2009, 01:29 PM

35,885 posts, read 67,016,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by victoriaR View Post
Thank you

Yes, to the pp (sorry I forgot your sn) but we will be securing a job before moving. I am also willing to wait for the right employment op if it's an area I can see myself living in for many many more years.
AFA overpopulation, I am familiar with it as we are from an area that was mainly fields until about 5 years ago and then BOOM! Now theres a mall, hundreds of thousands of people and a mecca for new developers and sprawl-o-rama. I do like the charm of older homes/stores better than the manufactured ones, but I know the new constructions aren't easy to avoid. I like people though, and I'm really chatty (probably will come out in my posts) so I think I will probably do okay.

And thank you, yes, the schools here are....horrible. I am glad to know there is a home-schooling community. That makes me happy!
I have met several people from various areas of CA who are quite pleased w/ their move here (if that helps any, LOL!!!)

You can find a nice community to settle in w/ all the things you are looking for. You may have to travel a bit for some of them, but we are only talking a matter of miles - not like an hour's trek. Things are booming in the areas you mentioned, but there are still outlying areas if you prefer something less dense.

Lots of different pharmacy chains and the usual other chains you see all over the country and the major chain restaurants, too - and locally owned restaurants of all types. Good healthcare in this area, too. When I go to CA, honestly - I can be in a shopping center or mall there and it is about like here - most of the same stores. The only really big difference (to me) as far as shopping is that you have so many more fresh veggies and fruits at better prices in many areas of CA. However, we have large produce sections in grocery stores and organic items in some sections, as well as Fresh Market and Earth Fare . . . I find organic along w/ the regular produce at a lot of places. Just depends on location of store, what the manager chooses to stock, etc. Lots of people have gardens here, so you can always grow some of your own fresh veggies (tomatoes, peppers, lettuce, herbs) if you would like to do that in the summer.

I think you would have some adjustments, of course, but once you found your favorite stores and created your "path" to different areas - I think you would be very comfortable here.

Old 05-01-2009, 02:02 PM

409 posts, read 988,301 times
The public schools in Huntersville (especially elementary and middle schoole) are pretty well regarded. Right now, the neighborhoods on the west side of I-77 are zoned for Hopewell High School, while those on the east are zoned for North Mecklenburg High school. From what I can tell, North Meck is somewhat better regarded than Hopewell, but again the elementary and middle schools on either side are good.

Lake Norman Charter School LNCS - LNCS Homepage serves middle and high schools, and is located in Huntersville. I have heard a lot of good things about this school. I don't believe it is associated with any religious group.

Old 05-01-2009, 04:48 PM

19,815 posts, read 55,781,243 times
You can check out any school in the country on www.GreatSchools.net (http://www.GreatSchools.net - broken link). It compares schools within a state to one another but not across state lines. It also lists the private schools although they are not rated, but you can get names and contact info.

Old 05-01-2009, 10:40 PM

380 posts, read 1,614,336 times
I know several people who have children going to Lake Norman Charter and love it. We would have put our daughter there if they had a 10th grade when we moved here. They didn't yet but they do now. We sent our daughter to Lincoln Charter which is only a 20 min drive from Huntersville. Also there are a lot of children who are home schooled here.

Old 05-03-2009, 05:03 PM

509 posts, read 1,642,593 times
There are a lot of homeschoolers in the Huntersville area. There are a couple of charter schools - Lake Norman Charter for middle and soon high, and Children's Community in Davidson. The lottery system is tough though and at least Children's Community is very hard to get into.

Huntersville Elementary is considered very good. Torrence Creek is also considered good, though crowded it is well run. Davidson Elementary is even better, if you are interested in Davidson. It's a great community.

The Home Economist is in Davidson. Davidson also has a great farmers market in the summers. There is a farmers market in downtown Huntersville too.

There is a Fresh Market, but it is not the same as a Whole Foods or Earthfare. Trader Joes is about a 20 minute drive over in the University area.

If I had to do it all over again, I would more seriously have considered Davidson, but I really like Huntersville too.

Old 05-03-2009, 08:46 PM

50 posts, read 121,665 times
I only lived there for a year, but I don't think Huntersville fits the lifestyle you are looking for.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or