U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-04-2007, 07:55 AM

5 posts, read 14,255 times

Advertisements

I have plan to spend one day 4/7/07 in charlotte. What can you recommend to do?
Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-04-2007, 09:30 AM

1,384 posts, read 1,423,595 times
Depends on what you like to do.
Theater? Hockey game? Outdoors activities? Shopping?

Old 04-04-2007, 10:35 AM

45,270 posts, read 88,346,253 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tatyana View Post
I have plan to spend one day 4/7/07 in charlotte. What can you recommend to do?
Thanks!
I would start by heading over the the Southend area for lunch and a great milkshake at Pike's Old Fashioned Soda Shop. This is an original Charlotte institution - not a chain! It is located on Camden near Tremont. Here is a link with a review for you: http://search.cityguide.aol.com/charlotte/restaurants/pikes-old-fashioned-soda-shop/v-109772343 (broken link)

When you have finished eating take a leisurely stroll down Camden toward uptown for a few blocks. This is like a little old timey neighborhood next to the new light rail tracks where many people are out and about walking their dogs on the weekends.

Next, I would suggest you drive down S. Tryon back toward uptown and stop to park once you have gone over I277. Walk up the street to St. Peter's Catholic Church and stop in to admire this historical landmark, and maybe even say a prayer or two Next door to the church is a beautiful new little park with some fun statues and areas to enjoy. I would suggest you walk the length of S. Tryon in uptown, at least a block or two past it's intersection with Trade, to enjoy the fountains, shops and restaurants. Nearby is also the Levine Museum of the New South, which is always a worthwhile stop. On your way back toward your car, walk on the opposite side of the street to see what you might have missed the first time you walked it. If you are so inclined I can recommend stopping at Ri Ra for a nice pint of Guiness to make your afternoon even more enjoyable There are many nice places to eat in the uptown area, so maybe you will decide on one during your afternoon stroll.

With at least an hour or more of daylight, say around 6 o'clock, I would recommend retrieving your car and heading east on Trade St, which becomes Elizabeth Ave. It deadends in a few blocks (after you ride thru the uptown campus of Central Piedmont Community College) at the entrance to Presbyterian Hospital. Take a right at the light here and an immediate left at the next light. That is 4th Steet, which becomes Randolph Road as you move away from uptown. Look for Colville in about a mile and take a right. This will bring you thru one of Charlotte's oldest and most beautiful neighborhoods, Eastover. You can even ride by and see the old Duke mansion. I would work my way over to Providence Rd and then up to Queens Road to continue the car tour of another of Charlotte's majestic old neighborhoods, Myers Park. Work you way toward your dinner destination as it gets dark. After enjoying your dinner, find your way over to Elizabeth Ave again right near Presbyterian Hospital and look for the Visualite Theater to see whatever live music might be playing there that night. This is an EXCELLENT venue to hear any live music - actually Charlotte's best. Tickets to get in are usually affordable - under $10.00. Most shows start at 9 or 10.

Hope this gives you some ideas and you thoroughly enjoy your day here!

Last edited by lovesMountains; 04-04-2007 at 11:51 AM..

Old 04-04-2007, 11:22 AM

Default charlotte

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
I would start by heading over the the Southend area for lunch and a great milkshake at Pike's Old Fashioned Soda Shop. This is an original Charlotte institution - not a chain! It is located on Camden near Tremont. Here is a link with a review for you: http://search.cityguide.aol.com/charlotte/restaurants/pikes-old-fashioned-soda-shop/v-109772343 (broken link)

When you have finished eating take a leisurely stroll down Camden toward uptown for a few blocks. This is like a little old timey neighborhood next to the new light rail tracks where many people are out and about walking their dogs on the weekends.

Next, I would suggest you drive down S. Tryon back toward uptown and stop to park once you have gone over I277. Walk up the street to St. Peter's Catholic Church and stop in to admire this historical landmark, and maybe even say a prayer or two Next door to the church is a beautiful new little park with some fun statues and areas to enjoy. I would suggest you walk the length of S. Tryon in uptown, at least a block or two past it's intersection with Trade, to enjoy the fountains, shops and restaurants. Nearby is also the Levine Museum of the New South, which is always a worthwhile stop. On your way back toward your car, walk on the opposite side of the street to see what you might have missed the first time you walked it. If you are so inclined I can recommend stopping at Ri Ra for a nice pint of Guiness to make your afternoon even more enjoyable There are many nice places to eat in the uptown area, so many you will decide on one during your afternoon stroll.

With at least an hour or more of daylight, say around 6 o'clock, I would recommend retrieving your car and heading east on Trade St, which becomes Elizabeth Ave. It deadends in a few blocks (after you ride thru the uptown campus of Central Piedmont Community College) at the entrance to Presbyterian Hospital. Take a right at the light here and an immediate left at the next light. That is 4th Steet, which becomes Randolph Road as you move away from uptown. Look for Colville in about a mile and take a right. This will bring you thru one of Charlotte's oldest and most beautiful neighborhoods, Eastover. You can even ride by and see the old Duke mansion. I would work my way over to Providence Rd and then up to Queens Road to continue the car tour of another of Charlotte's majestic old neighborhoods, Myers Park. Work you way toward your dinner destination as it gets dark. After enjoying your dinner, find your way over to Elizabeth Ave again right near Presbyterian Hospital and look for the Visualite Theater to see whatever live music might be playing there that night. This is an EXCELLENT venue to hear any live music - actually Charlotte's best. Tickets to get in are usually affordable - under $10.00. Most shows start at 9 or 10.

Thanks! Tatyana

Old 04-04-2007, 11:25 AM

Default Charlotte

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmway View Post
Depends on what you like to do.
Theater? Hockey game? Outdoors activities? Shopping?
We want to get sense of Charlotte, Looking for moving.

Tatyana

Old 04-04-2007, 01:59 PM

Well, (as always) lovesmountains gave a great tour schedule! There's a hockey game that night at the arena, you can get tix for cheap at the box office that night. You could hit Blue afterward for some live music and cocktails in a nice environment.

Old 04-04-2007, 02:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmway View Post
Well, (as always) lovesmountains gave a great tour schedule! There's a hockey game that night at the arena, you can get tix for cheap at the box office that night. You could hit Blue afterward for some live music and cocktails in a nice environment.
Man, I meant to suggest Blue too but forgot!!! Good catch

Old 04-04-2007, 04:22 PM

297 posts, read 1,043,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post

Next, I would suggest you drive down S. Tryon back toward uptown and stop to park once you have gone over I277. Walk up the street to St. Peter's Catholic Church and stop in to admire this historical landmark, and maybe even say a prayer or two Next door to the church is a beautiful new little park with some fun statues and areas to enjoy. I would suggest you walk the length of S. Tryon in uptown, at least a block or two past it's intersection with Trade, to enjoy the fountains, shops and restaurants. Nearby is also the Levine Museum of the New South, which is always a worthwhile stop. On your way back toward your car, walk on the opposite side of the street to see what you might have missed the first time you walked it. If you are so inclined I can recommend stopping at Ri Ra for a nice pint of Guiness to make your afternoon even more enjoyable There are many nice places to eat in the uptown area, so maybe you will decide on one during your afternoon stroll.

Now thats a laugh. Whats wrong does downtown Charlotte only have one street with anything to do on it. Like I have said in other posts there is not much downtown, a few bars, couple of mediocre resturants, Boobcats area. Where are the real attractions. What does this city really have that others do not? What makes Charlotte a world class attraction or is only PR.

Old 04-04-2007, 04:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DUKE1989 View Post
Now thats a laugh. Whats wrong does downtown Charlotte only have one street with anything to do on it. Like I have said in other posts there is not much downtown, a few bars, couple of mediocre resturants, Boobcats area. Where are the real attractions. What does this city really have that others do not? What makes Charlotte a world class attraction or is only PR.
The original poster only has 1 day in Charlotte so I gave her just a few ideas of SOME things she could consider. I have every confidence she is intelligent enough to realize there is more than one street in uptown and to actually do some exploring on her own.

Duke, I am truly concerned about you. All this negativity must be sucking the life right out of you. Would you like to talk about it? PM me if so, I am a great listener

Old 04-04-2007, 04:45 PM

To the OP (original poster) I want to share a website: http://www.visitcharlotte.com/defaul...actions&page=1

Personally, if the weather is warm, it will be a great weekend for renting a jetski or going out on my friend's boat, heading to Jetton Park to rent a bike and bike around the lake after a picnic, going to the Carolina Raptor Center to check out the exhibits, going to the Checker's Game followed by cocktails at music at Blue or Zink, Sunday brunch at Pewter Rose, and some shopping at Birkdale Village while my friends' children run through the fountains. Go home and relax while making plans for tailgating at Steeplechase and checking the Broadway Lights and PAC Theater schedule to buy tickets for the Lion King and Doubt.

But Duke1989 is right, it sucks to live in Charlotte (note the sarcasm).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or