U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-17-2009, 04:12 PM

469 posts, read 876,082 times

Advertisements

Has anyone mentioned:
http://www.pappadeaux.com (Great Cajun food)

and
PENANG: Malaysian Cuisine: A Taste Above the Rest (Very authentic Malaysian cuisine)

I'd also like to see other exotic cuisines, like Korean, and Cuban, represented in Charlotte metro.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-17-2009, 07:15 PM

9 posts, read 20,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldsmobile View Post
Has anyone mentioned:
Stats about all US cities - real estate, relocation info, house prices, home value estimator, recent sales, cost of living, crime, race, income, photos, education, maps, weather, houses, schools, neighborhoods, and more (Great Cajun food)

and
PENANG: Malaysian Cuisine: A Taste Above the Rest (Very authentic Malaysian cuisine)

I'd also like to see other exotic cuisines, like Korean, and Cuban, represented in Charlotte metro.

I love Pappadeaux. I eat there every time I go home to visit my mom. I'd love to see one here in Charlotte. I believe Atlanta is the closest one, correct?

Old 09-19-2009, 08:27 AM

4,093 posts, read 10,149,475 times
We go to Namaste down in the Ballantyne area. It is still far more expensive than the take away place, but we do like it.....more Southern Indian which is what I grew up on.

Now, this comment about price is on their buffet, so I haven't priced what it would be to order and pick up. Have you done that?

We aren't big buffet folks anyway as none of us are big eaters and prefer more frequent/smaller meals.

Dawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by bs13690 View Post
ME TOO!!! I love CJ!

They wouldn't be nearly as efficient if they did.

Where have you tried? Namaste on Independence is pretty inexpensive. It is about 5 minutes outside downtown.

Old 09-20-2009, 01:41 PM

4,222 posts, read 6,710,745 times
On my many visits to Boston, I have eaten in all resturants with titles of "Best" this and that. I haven't really been overly impressed with these restaurants or the food in general until two nights ago.I went into a restaurant in the town of Beverly. It was called the 1640 Hart House Restaurant and Tavern. I had what was called their eggplant tower (Mediterranean) with eggplant slices, buffalo mozzaella, cherry tomatoes with a basil olive oil drizzle. I dream of this wonderful dish. It was cooked to perfection and a little crispy from being a little burnt in the appropriate spots. The house was actually built a few years after the pilgrams landed. I was impressed. I have thought of building a place that would be an exact replica of this wonderful place and kidnapping the chef. I am not impressed easily but I was with this place. I wish we had it in Charlotte but our oldest building is 150 years newer. Other than that, I am content with Charlotte's growth and my confidence that it is nearing the point that everyone's dietary desires will be generally satisfied in the near future if not already. In summary, Boston has some great places, but the only one that I would classify in my experience as truly"outstanding" as far as my many experiences is this place, 1640 Hart House. Give it a try if you are in Beverly, Mass. A wonderful place.

Old 09-21-2009, 08:58 PM

6,953 posts, read 12,437,937 times
I guess Im easy to please. I just go to Cracker Barrel when visiting NC and the East. We don't have any on the West Coast, CB won't come any closer than Boise. I like the Chicken and Dumplins there and the sugar free pies.

Charlotte seems to have alot of chain restaurants, but everywhere does now it seems.

I think the best restaurants are in New England, alot of family owned restaurants. Im sure as more and more people from the Northeast move down, some of these restaurants will eventually show up in Charlotte.

Old 09-21-2009, 09:22 PM

14,693 posts, read 23,075,368 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DawnW View Post
We go to Namaste down in the Ballantyne area. It is still far more expensive than the take away place, but we do like it.....more Southern Indian which is what I grew up on.

Now, this comment about price is on their buffet, so I haven't priced what it would be to order and pick up. Have you done that?

We aren't big buffet folks anyway as none of us are big eaters and prefer more frequent/smaller meals.

Dawn
I only go during lunch and it is much more economical to get the buffet. That way, I can try lots of different things.

Another good one to have around here would be Popeye's. One could argue that Bojangles tastes about the same but I think Popeye's is spicier.

Old 09-21-2009, 09:24 PM

14,693 posts, read 23,075,368 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingscotsman View Post
Met the owner of eat here now just after it was remodeled, he asked what I thought off the new menu.

Eat Here Now- Best Burger

They claim Charlottes best burger, never had one we think they do the best philly cheese steak around here.
Do they have cheez whiz? Someone mentioned Rubio's, if you want fish tacos you can go to Cabo's Fish Tacos up in NoDa.

Old 09-21-2009, 10:09 PM
Status: "Charlotte Checkers Calder Cup Champions!" (set 9 days ago)

7,199 posts, read 8,211,365 times
Me? I'd enjoy a Smithfield's Chicken and BBQ here. I know we have Sonny's here, and I like Sonny's, but there are times I just crave Eastern NC BBQ. Closet one to us that I am aware of is all the way in Rockingham.

Old 09-22-2009, 05:54 PM

4,222 posts, read 6,710,745 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimrob1 View Post
I guess Im easy to please. I just go to Cracker Barrel when visiting NC and the East. We don't have any on the West Coast, CB won't come any closer than Boise. I like the Chicken and Dumplins there and the sugar free pies.

Charlotte seems to have alot of chain restaurants, but everywhere does now it seems.

I think the best restaurants are in New England, alot of family owned restaurants. Im sure as more and more people from the Northeast move down, some of these restaurants will eventually show up in Charlotte.
Had lunch at Cracker Barrel this afternoon in Virginia. Always dependable except for the occasional tuna salad that gave my wife food poisoning last year when in Indiana. Anyway, there are some great family owned restaurants in New England. I am speaking of the Boston area. I am sure that when Charlotte reaches the 4 million mark, we will have quite a few more family restaurants. It seems that being next to the ocean has lots to do with it. I love the restaurants in Charleston and Savannah. Again, next to the sea. There used to be a huge fish market on East Trade St. downtown Charlotte years ago. If one ever reappeared, I am sure that more restaurants would offer fresh seafood at more affordable prices. I would like to see some authentic Italian restaurants, not New York Italian second generation receipts. I believe that the thing that gives NE the upper hand is that you find lots of really nice restaurants in houses or pubs that are 200-300 years old that makes for a great atmosphere that isn't available in Charlotte. It isn't that the food is any better, but finding that sort of atmosphere is easier. Most of these places are found outside of the center of Boston though.

Last edited by vindaloo; 09-22-2009 at 06:06 PM..

Old 09-22-2009, 07:03 PM

6,953 posts, read 12,437,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vindaloo View Post
Had lunch at Cracker Barrel this afternoon in Virginia. Always dependable except for the occasional tuna salad that gave my wife food poisoning last year when in Indiana. Anyway, there are some great family owned restaurants in New England. I am speaking of the Boston area. I am sure that when Charlotte reaches the 4 million mark, we will have quite a few more family restaurants. It seems that being next to the ocean has lots to do with it. I love the restaurants in Charleston and Savannah. Again, next to the sea. There used to be a huge fish market on East Trade St. downtown Charlotte years ago. If one ever reappeared, I am sure that more restaurants would offer fresh seafood at more affordable prices. I would like to see some authentic Italian restaurants, not New York Italian second generation receipts. I believe that the thing that gives NE the upper hand is that you find lots of really nice restaurants in houses or pubs that are 200-300 years old that makes for a great atmosphere that isn't available in Charlotte. It isn't that the food is any better, but finding that sort of atmosphere is easier. Most of these places are found outside of the center of Boston though.

Im from Mass originally just north of Providence. If you want really good Italian food stop in that city sometime. There is an entire section of the city that is nothing but family owned Italian Restaurants. Very reflective of the Italian influence on Providence. There are now quite a few people that live in the Boston area, that will take a drive down to Providence for the meal. Then maybe a gondola ride on the rivers that were built thru downtown.

I would think Charlotte would have alot of family style restaurants. If not hopefully at some point. Yes it seems the influence of coastal areas seems to bring out some decent restaurants.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or