U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-01-2009, 08:42 PM

4,570 posts, read 6,531,574 times

Advertisements

What restaurants would you love to see in Charlotte?? It would definitely be nice to see a Mandarin, Singaporean, German or a Brazilian restaurant in Charlotte. In-N-Out Burger would be awesome too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-01-2009, 09:33 PM

3,423 posts, read 9,228,911 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nature's message View Post
It would definitely be nice to see a ... German or a Brazilian restaurant in Charlotte.
Those are already here.

As always, my only request is for there to be more eclectic, local places where there are chefs who are creative and inventive that offer something unique. And that are affordable. These days it's getting really hard to justify spending money to eat out.

Oh, and a BBQ restaurant that would set a new standard for NC BBQ.

Old 05-02-2009, 07:35 AM

7,041 posts, read 13,105,221 times
nature's message, are you planning to move here? and, maybe open a restaurant?

I would just like to see more mom-and-pop type diners and less chain restaurants...

In-and-Out burger is actually owned by McDonalds, FYI

Old 05-02-2009, 07:43 AM

3,774 posts, read 6,990,604 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by superk View Post
Those are already here.

As always, my only request is for there to be more eclectic, local places where there are chefs who are creative and inventive that offer something unique. And that are affordable. These days it's getting really hard to justify spending money to eat out.

you should check out the Common House...

Old 05-02-2009, 08:14 AM

58 posts, read 150,912 times
Since they've started expanding restaurants, I'd kill to see a Pepe's Pizza (from New Haven, CT) here....mmmm I miss that place

Old 05-02-2009, 08:24 AM

494 posts, read 1,180,676 times
Bugaboo Creek Steakhouse!!!!

Old 05-02-2009, 09:33 AM

1,031 posts, read 2,144,048 times
Starting a place form scratch in this economy is really tough. I doubt you'll see any mom and pop place springing up anytime soon. They weren't poping up large scale even in the best of times. You need lots and lots of capital to get a start up on its legs and keep it running until you can build momentum. Zoning issues and rental rates are really unreasonable as well.

It is also extremely difficult to get started from a bureaucratic standpoint. Mecklenburg (as well as Union Co.) has the most convoluted system for getting through the public works/health/building permit process that I have experienced in a long time. Unless you have deep deep pockets or the backing of a big corp, then you are pretty much wasting your time trying to open a place up here. Independents are going to have a hard time making it in Charlotte even in the best of times.

That said, Charlotte does have some great resturants. You just have to go find them, there not on every corner, and they are not specifically in the downtown area (even though there are some fine places there too). But many independents are struggling big time or have folded (Good ol' Days, McIntosh, Press Box etc.), while the chains continue to thrive and do fairly well. They need our support!

I am generally disapointed in the BBQ here though. There are a couple of decent places, but in Charlotte proper there should be and could be much more. It would give Charlotte a real definition from a culinary standpoint and it is something that the city has lacked forever.

Old 05-02-2009, 11:01 AM

4 posts, read 10,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nature's message View Post
What restaurants would you love to see in Charlotte?? It would definitely be nice to see a Mandarin, Singaporean, German or a Brazilian restaurant in Charlotte. In-N-Out Burger would be awesome too.
Brazilian - Brazas do Brazil (Independence Blvd) and Chima (uptown). Chima is a chain, it's supposed to be very good. I bit pricey but I've been told that in Sundays it is half-price

In-N-Out - Don't think they will ever expand from the West coast. The east coast alternative is Five Guys. Same concepts and just as good in my opinion.

German - Waldhorn Restaurant in Pineville. I highly recommend it. Everything is home made. Main owner is a CIA grad and wife does all the bakery, pretzels, breads.

Old 05-02-2009, 11:03 AM

4 posts, read 10,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by superk View Post
Those are already here.

Bill Spoon's BBQ in South Blvd is very worthy of a Eastern NC BBQ award. They cook the whole pig, not just the butts. It's a charlotte tradition from the last 40 years

My only warning is that you will only find vinegar based BBQ here..so if it's not your thing, you will not likely

Old 05-02-2009, 11:13 AM

510 posts, read 1,840,325 times
A good Tex-Mex Restaurant would be awesome . There is a place (think it's still there ), called Bar J in Woodbridge, VA. A total dive from the outside, but inside the food is awesome. They make their own salsa (never have given it out). We really miss this place.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or