U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-04-2009, 02:02 PM

4,222 posts, read 6,710,745 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
SIGH.

Has anyone ever pointed out to you that the majority of great American writers have come from the South? Ever wondered why a large % of actors are Southern? Or Presidents?

It is b/c we are STORY TELLERS. And we laugh at ourselves! No one was talking about their friends behind their friends' backs! These are tales that probably have been told over and over - in the presence of the people who were the subjects of the story!

Things do become legend. Stories of kindness, idiocy, compassion, horror - you name it. We have stories about it. Good for a laugh, a cry or instruction.

You need to lighten up! If people were treating you w/ that type of familiarity - they obviously LIKED YOU and were enjoying seeing your reaction to the stuff they were telling you. Geeeezzz. Include people and they get offended. Exclude people and they get offended.

As far as "you all come on back" - that is indeed sincere. But for God's sake, anyone with manners knows you at least call your friend on your way over to their house. Showing up unannounced is just not good manners - unless it is an emergency.

Ani, as you know, I moved back to the area (Cornelius) about a year ago. The night before I moved into my house, my wife and I were staying at a local motel. I received a phone call from my buddy that lives in Matthews. It was about 10:00 pm. I asked him where he was. He said, sitting outside your motel room. I went with him for a beer or two. I hadn't experienced this sort of thing in years. About a week after I moved in, I hear raping on the door. I opened it and there was my very talkative old friend from years ago. He showed up unannounced. He stayes and updated me on everything for the next five hours. My point is that this is the way many of us middle aged people do things around here. I love and I don't care if people show up unannounced just so it isn't really late. I look at it as these people consider me family and don't feel that they need to make an announcement. Personally, I would prefer one, but I'll get by. The main thing is that my wife, from Minnesota, thanks it is fine or at least funny.

One final note. My dad lived most of his life in Boston after immigrating from Russia. He lived in Charlotte since WWII. As long as I remember, he belittled southerners, made fun of accents, and accused them of presenting "false hospitality". He had no friends and whenever anyone came over he would go into the den and watch his ballgame or whatever was the sport of the moment. Any time neighbors or people from work would invite my mother and him over, he wouldn't go as he thought that they didn't really want to invite them. My mother was the complete opposite. The significant thing was that my dad confessed to me before dying. He told me that he was sorry that he was so unhospitable and unaccepting to others. He said that he now realized that he had missed opportunities to have wonderful friends and that he was wrong about his prejudices towards southerners. It is sad to see that his attitude exist in the hearts of so many today.

Last edited by vindaloo; 05-04-2009 at 02:15 PM..

Old 05-04-2009, 02:02 PM

35,885 posts, read 67,023,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragonchaser View Post
mmmm....peach cobbler with some coffee creamer sounds gross, but I assure it's where it's at
Hey, I'm game! But you do mean the liquid stuff, right? You don't just sprinkle Coffee Mate on top (the dried stuff??? )

Old 05-04-2009, 02:03 PM

1,087 posts, read 2,394,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InfectedX View Post
I'm from NYC and I have some experiences in SC that I did not like at all. People were all fake-nice and would back-stab anyone and then pretend to be nice again. Southern hospitality is skin-deep and as I started - fake. Any kind of argument is seen as disrespectful (which is BS...its not disrespectful to argue!) I will be moving to Charlotte, where I heard people are AS fake and are more straight-forward. I understand it won't be as straight-forward as NYC but are people at least somewhat direct in comparison to southerners in SC and rural areas? I don't mind politeness and manners (I like it actually) but I want to be with people who can say "No" when needed, instead of saying "Sure" and not doing it.
Oh my, you open a can of worms, and Pandora's box at the same time. I learned a while ago not to go there. Either you like here or you can start thinking about purchasing a one way ticket back to nyc on jetBlue. Bless your heart.

(I never knew that NYC was such an utopia)

Last edited by CLTKing; 05-04-2009 at 02:46 PM..

Old 05-04-2009, 02:04 PM

60 posts, read 139,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thefinalsay View Post
I am not sure what your experience will be in charlotte considering 90% of the city is ex NY'ers that moved south to get away from rude people. if you run into rude people in charlotte, it's cause they are from NY. don't get me started on NY drivers.
Hey, I take offense at that NY driver comment. You might consider that when we crash into you on Independence Blvd to be a sign of bad driving, but back in NY we just say, "guess who I bumped into today?"

Old 05-04-2009, 02:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vindaloo View Post
Ani, as you know, I moved back to the area (Cornelius) about a year ago. The night before I moved into my house, my wife and I were staying at a local motel. I received a phone call from my buddy that lives in Matthews. It was about 10:00 pm. I asked him where he was. He said, sitting outside your motel room. I went with him for a beer or two. I hadn't experienced this sort of thing in years. About a week after I moved in, I hear raping on the door. I opened it and there was my very talkative old friend from years ago. He showed up unannounced. He stayes and updated me on everything for the next five hours. My point is that this is the way many of us middle aged people do things around here. I love and I don't care if people show up unannounced just so it isn't really late. I look at it as these people consider me family and don't feel that they need to make an announcement. Personally, I would prefer one, but I'll get by. The main thing is that my wife, from Minnesota, thanks it is fine or at least funny.
Well, old friends, of course . . . but I was always told that one should never stop by b/c people might be . . . ya know . . . engaged in things that you would not want to interrupt. (YOU KNOW!!!!)

Old 05-04-2009, 02:06 PM

45,270 posts, read 88,319,180 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragonchaser View Post
Ok...I don't think I have seen a thread blow up like this before I just have to say in defense that NYC doesn't represent all of NY. They are in a world unto themselves, and honestly us NYers not in NYC would like them to secede from the state . To throw them in the same ring as the rest of us would be to say Charlotte is an accurate representative of NC...it's not. As about 100 people have said before me on this thread...people are people wherever you go. You get the good with the bad. And I would like to appologize on behave of the rest of us "yankees" for the disrespect this d-bag has caused
Hey, no apology necessary - we know there are many nice folks here from NY and NYC

Old 05-04-2009, 02:07 PM

1,304 posts, read 3,867,947 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by REMINGTIN7 View Post
Hey, I take offense at that NY driver comment. You might consider that when we crash into you on Independence Blvd to be a sign of bad driving, but back in NY we just say, "guess who I bumped into today?"
It's all good...try the whirled peas with a side of peach.

Old 05-04-2009, 02:07 PM

197 posts, read 430,874 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CLTKing View Post
Oh my, you open a can of worms, and Pandora's box at the same time. I learned a while ago not to go there. Either you like here or you can start thinking about purchasing a one way ticket back to nyc on jetBlue.

And yet here you are again, CLTKing. How the heck have you been? I've missed your particular brand of "wit". It costs me almost $8 a bag at Lowe's. So nice you're speading it for free...and so willingly too! Can't fault your logic though. Why stay where you're miserable?

Old 05-04-2009, 02:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by REMINGTIN7 View Post
Here in the South it all depends on who we "bump into." If it is another Southerner, while we are standing around waiting for law enforcement, we figure out we are related . . . so then we compare schedules, set play dates for our kids to get together and see when we can meet up for tennis.

Old 05-04-2009, 02:16 PM

4,222 posts, read 6,710,745 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
Well, old friends, of course . . . but I was always told that one should never stop by b/c people might be . . . ya know . . . engaged in things that you would not want to interrupt. (YOU KNOW!!!!)
OMG, I guess they figure I am too old for that thesed days.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or