Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-03-2009, 01:49 PM

6 posts, read 16,917 times

Advertisements

I'm from NYC and I have some experiences in SC that I did not like at all. People were all fake-nice and would back-stab anyone and then pretend to be nice again. Southern hospitality is skin-deep and as I started - fake. Any kind of argument is seen as disrespectful (which is BS...its not disrespectful to argue!) I will be moving to Charlotte, where I heard people are AS fake and are more straight-forward. I understand it won't be as straight-forward as NYC but are people at least somewhat direct in comparison to southerners in SC and rural areas? I don't mind politeness and manners (I like it actually) but I want to be with people who can say "No" when needed, instead of saying "Sure" and not doing it.

Old 05-03-2009, 01:55 PM

45,218 posts, read 100,681,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InfectedX View Post
I'm from NYC and I have some experiences in SC that I did not like at all. People were all fake-nice and would back-stab anyone and then pretend to be nice again. Southern hospitality is skin-deep and as I started - fake. Any kind of argument is seen as disrespectful (which is BS...its not disrespectful to argue!) I will be moving to Charlotte, where I heard people are AS fake and are more straight-forward. I understand it won't be as straight-forward as NYC but are people at least somewhat direct in comparison to southerners in SC and rural areas? I don't mind politeness and manners (I like it actually) but I want to be with people who can say "No" when needed, instead of saying "Sure" and not doing it.
I don't even know where to begin - oh, I know, Are all people from NYC so rude, condesending and prejudice?

Old 05-03-2009, 01:56 PM

9,196 posts, read 24,927,777 times
Bless your little NYC heart.

Old 05-03-2009, 01:57 PM

19,855 posts, read 65,802,767 times
Well, bless your heart! With that attitude, I am sure people will be pleasant to your face -after all, we are raised to be polite - and then say things about you behind your back. Like, wow is he/she rude, or, who is he/she to be so demanding, or no, I won't have anything to do with them again. People do value manners and while I am nbot saying that you lack manners, most people from NYC have a different set of manners. You need to adjust, when in Rome, etc.

Old 05-03-2009, 02:02 PM

348 posts, read 846,351 times
I've been in Charlotte 8 years and most people will do what they say they'll do, but sometimes you may have to ask more than once. I've only met 4 pure natives and 3 of them tell you anything you want to hear and then leave you hanging and never do nothing, but in my experience most people don't seem fake. When I lived up in DC area--now there was some back-stabbing. It's not as bad as the DC area. People seem to care more about other people down here.

Old 05-03-2009, 02:02 PM

6 posts, read 16,917 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernBelleInUtah View Post
Well, bless your heart! With that attitude, I am sure people will be pleasant to your face -after all, we are raised to be polite - and then say things about you behind your back. Like, wow is he/she rude, or, who is he/she to be so demanding, or no, I won't have anything to do with them again. People do value manners and while I am nbot saying that you lack manners, most people from NYC have a different set of manners. You need to adjust, when in Rome, etc.
See, this was a very direct and straight-forward answer. If people in Charlotte are like you and are willing to say that to my face then its all good! But what I am saying - if you talk sh*t behind my back, and want to do nothing with me then why do you agree to do activities/things together, agree to help, and even OFFER to do something just to back-stab me later on purpose??? That is not nice, but fake. It would nice to just avoid or say "No" to that person, but not screw them over!

Old 05-03-2009, 02:10 PM

348 posts, read 846,351 times
"People do value manners and while I am nbot saying that you lack manners, most people from NYC have a different set of manners. You need to adjust, when in Rome, etc."

I agree, I'm not saying you are rude, but like the above poster wrote, in essense the loud yelling and hand waving and rudeness (I'm not saying all Northerns are like that) but that wouldn't go over well down here at all. You may meet a few people like you explained, but in the metropolitan Charlotte most people are not like that (in my experience).

Old 05-03-2009, 02:12 PM

2,742 posts, read 6,748,096 times
Quote:
If your experiences with "everyone" in SC was this way as you say, then perhaps its not "them". People in the South are just like people everywhere. You have good and bad. Perhaps you're throwing off bad vibes with people and its causing you to be involved in these bad experiences. Cause I tell ya, I'm sure picking up a vibe from you right now, and it ain't good. I don't know how the people in SC get down, but trust me, bring that attitude up here and someone will tell you about it

Old 05-03-2009, 02:18 PM

1,177 posts, read 2,238,982 times
Quote:
With an attitude like that, I guarantee that LOTS of people are nice to your face and badmouth you when you leave. "Southern" has nothing to do with it.

Old 05-03-2009, 02:19 PM

3,115 posts, read 7,131,225 times
I'll give you a straight answer. I grew up in Ohio and lived in SC for 7 years before moving to Charlotte 4 years ago. No, people here do not have the "fake" southern hospitality. I know exactly what you are talking about, and we haven't met anyone like that here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte