Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-04-2009, 01:46 PM

4,222 posts, read 7,895,215 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChelleC View Post
Wasn't it Dolly Parton in "Steel Magnolias" that said, "If you don't have anything nice to say come sit next to me." ??

That's pretty much my motto. If I lived by "If you don't have anything nice to say, don't say anything at all" I'd never speak again.

When you two are off having DD coffee with Brian I am going to start a whole chat thread about the three of you.
All the women in the neighborhood come outside when they see me walking around. They want to catch up with the latest gossip. For that, I am proud.

Old 05-04-2009, 01:48 PM

35,879 posts, read 77,469,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruru View Post
This comment reminded me of my visit to the state of Virginia. It was such a beautiful place and then I was getting introduced around town and this is the way people were talking about each other. Just like this part of this quote. It was legendary stuff and I thought a little freaky deaky frankly. Was there no better sport than gossiping about friends. After shooting animals on your neighbors property I guess.

Or going to the races they have a race track down there in Charlotte is that what your getting ready for to go to the races and want to take your vim and vinegar before you get thar. Can't be as good a racetrack as we have down here in Bithlo though. Nothing beats the Bithlo races.

I was also once surprised when a friend explained me the "come on by" hospitality in the south that they gotta say it but don't really like people just dropping by. Imagine the culture shock if they lived in a community were people barely knock on doors before coming into your house like so many in NY used to live.

Who waves their hands around when they talk? And some of the loudest hollerers I've met are southern.
SIGH.

Has anyone ever pointed out to you that the majority of great American writers have come from the South? Ever wondered why a large % of actors are Southern? Or Presidents?

It is b/c we are STORY TELLERS. And we laugh at ourselves! No one was talking about their friends behind their friends' backs! These are tales that probably have been told over and over - in the presence of the people who were the subjects of the story!

Things do become legend. Stories of kindness, idiocy, compassion, horror - you name it. We have stories about it. Good for a laugh, a cry or instruction.

You need to lighten up! If people were treating you w/ that type of familiarity - they obviously LIKED YOU and were enjoying seeing your reaction to the stuff they were telling you. Geeeezzz. Include people and they get offended. Exclude people and they get offended.

As far as "you all come on back" - that is indeed sincere. But for God's sake, anyone with manners knows you at least call your friend on your way over to their house. Showing up unannounced is just not good manners - unless it is an emergency.

Old 05-04-2009, 01:52 PM

1,350 posts, read 3,782,531 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gkleoni1 View Post
Holy Moses another one for my top 10 Favorite all-time posts! In all sincerity though. So glad you found the kind of Southern Hospitality that makes me proud to call myself a Southerner. Whatever help & support was given you I have a feeling you earned and deserved through being kind and open. Bless your heart (for real)!
Thanks gkleoni, I'm glad you like it. All I do is try to treat people the way I like to be treated and in return have made some good friends.

Old 05-04-2009, 01:53 PM

4,222 posts, read 7,895,215 times
[quote=Mom2jacknjess;8647196]

From the OP to everyone who has responded, this is why there will never truly be peach on Earth.

-- "peach on Earth". LOL!!

--Surprise Mom2, peace was never really in the cards. Have you heard, Venezuela, N.Korea, Iran, and a few other places want to go to war with us?

Old 05-04-2009, 01:53 PM

Location: I currently exist only in a state of mind. one too complex for geographic location.
4,196 posts, read 5,842,493 times
I am not sure what your experience will be in charlotte considering 90% of the city is ex NY'ers that moved south to get away from rude people. if you run into rude people in charlotte, it's cause they are from NY. don't get me started on NY drivers.

Old 05-04-2009, 01:54 PM

197 posts, read 485,480 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
Showing up unannounced is just not good manners - unless it is an emergency.
Would dire need of a good lunch be classified as an emergency? If so, "ding dong"...

Old 05-04-2009, 01:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragonchaser View Post
dont you mean "peach" on earth
Y'all know all the Peaches are down in Gaffney. Short trip. We can get enuff down there to definitely have Peach on Earth. I prefer peaches on shortcake, tho.

Old 05-04-2009, 01:57 PM

1,039 posts, read 3,004,624 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
Y'all know all the Peaches are down in Gaffney. Short trip. We can get enuff down there to definitely have Peach on Earth. I prefer peaches on shortcake, tho.
Um, hello??? peach cobbler is the best! With some homemade vanilla icecream.

Old 05-04-2009, 02:00 PM

94 posts, read 460,407 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gkleoni1 View Post
Um, hello??? peach cobbler is the best! With some homemade vanilla icecream.
mmmm....peach cobbler with some coffee creamer sounds gross, but I assure it's where it's at

Old 05-04-2009, 02:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChelleC View Post
Would dire need of a good lunch be classified as an emergency? If so, "ding dong"...
If you will clean up the kitchen, come on.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte