U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-03-2009, 06:13 PM

79 posts, read 316,579 times

Advertisements

I have a large grocery bag full of aluminum foil which I would like to recycle. Is there any local town or county recycling center, or company, which takes used foil?

I read conflicting information on this; it appears some municipalities elsewhere do recycle foil yet Alcoa says there is no process to recycle it. I don't understand why it cannot be recycled; any food residue would certainly burn off whne melted down.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-04-2009, 10:32 AM

2,560 posts, read 6,066,620 times
See thread marked "CFL's". I posted the address of full service recycling places in Meck Cty. I don't know why they don't recycle aluminum foil.

I had to laugh last night on the news that Meck Cty for 2010 is getting a new recycling program and you'll have an actual trash can that you can dump all of your recyclables in and they will be picking it up every other week instead of evey week, no more bins. Let's see, that's probably only 20 years behind the city we left in CA. Good Lord.

Old 05-04-2009, 11:19 AM

852 posts, read 2,214,696 times
In Dublin where I am from the trash truck has a weighing scales on there and it weighs what you are dumping and you get charged for it. Recyclables are free so needless to say everyone recycles and their trash bins are almost empty. But glad to see that Charlotte is trying.

Old 05-04-2009, 12:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by smclarke4 View Post
In Dublin where I am from the trash truck has a weighing scales on there and it weighs what you are dumping and you get charged for it. Recyclables are free so needless to say everyone recycles and their trash bins are almost empty. But glad to see that Charlotte is trying.
I worked with guy one time, he was originally from Cork.

Yes I am glad they are improving the system, hoping it carries out in Union Cty too. We recycled so much more in CA. I am the recycle police at home and get DH all the time.

Old 05-04-2009, 12:24 PM

1,877 posts, read 4,303,809 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nascarnancy View Post
See thread marked "CFL's". I posted the address of full service recycling places in Meck Cty. I don't know why they don't recycle aluminum foil.

I had to laugh last night on the news that Meck Cty for 2010 is getting a new recycling program and you'll have an actual trash can that you can dump all of your recyclables in and they will be picking it up every other week instead of evey week, no more bins. Let's see, that's probably only 20 years behind the city we left in CA. Good Lord.
It may be 20 years behind CA, but it's light years ahead of some places I've lived. Some places require recyclables to be sorted. Hell, some places dont even offer recycling. I salute the city for being proactive, and making the process as painless as possible!

Old 05-04-2009, 04:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoagie58 View Post
It may be 20 years behind CA, but it's light years ahead of some places I've lived. Some places require recyclables to be sorted. Hell, some places dont even offer recycling. I salute the city for being proactive, and making the process as painless as possible!
Oh, I think it's great too, believe me. I'll tell ya one thing Charlotte has that So Cal doesn't and never will, a nice blue sky, ahhhh.

Old 05-05-2009, 10:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoagie58 View Post
This is what reall p's me off. I cut up boxes and put them in the recycle bin, just like they say cut into 3x3 squares. Sometimes they take them and sometimes they don't, today they pulled them out and tossed them on the lawn for the "trash" guys! It's like 50/50 with these guys, I don't get it.

Old 05-05-2009, 10:23 PM

11,836 posts, read 25,432,978 times
Well I for one am glad that recycling is not mandatory. I have no desire to wash out bottles & jars & sort paper & cardboard. The nice 90 gallon rolling bin that the city provides is happy to accept everything put in it & the trash truck happily gobbles it all.

Old 05-06-2009, 08:06 AM

Another thing our city did in CA was a brown trash can for yard waste. Of course we had no where near what we have here, but because the city had a great recycling program and yard waste program they saved a ton of money because they weren't putting it in the landfill.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte