U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-06-2009, 11:26 AM

20 posts, read 39,069 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by vindaloo View Post
What's up with the teeth thing? Are you from England?
Read the post from spyderman that references 'teeth,' or lack thereof. ha. It's a ways back, but he had some funny comments.

I am like your wife, smoke literally makes me nauseous, and ill. We too have asthmatic children, so we don't go anywhere near anyplace that smoking is allowed. We were SO thrilled when our favorite spot here (The Limeport Inn) went to non smoking. Actually, I don't know exactly what legislature mandates here, because there is a little neighborhood tavern (teeth optional) that allows smoking, so that is why I am not sure exactly what the legislation states.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-11-2009, 09:13 AM

Default We're back!

Like the Lake Norman area. If we move we have decided on 'The Pointe,' but I am having major anxiety about moving our 5th grader when we don't have to. That would be her third move in 4 years. I don't know if I have the heart to do it. She loves it here, but my husband and I don't. Maybe we just need to 'suck it up,' and make the best of it where we are. I know she would adjust, but should she have to? That's the question.

Old 05-11-2009, 03:07 PM

45,269 posts, read 88,570,147 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by taxiismygame View Post
Like the Lake Norman area. If we move we have decided on 'The Pointe,' but I am having major anxiety about moving our 5th grader when we don't have to. That would be her third move in 4 years. I don't know if I have the heart to do it. She loves it here, but my husband and I don't. Maybe we just need to 'suck it up,' and make the best of it where we are. I know she would adjust, but should she have to? That's the question.
There's a long way to go from 5th grade to high school graduation - do you think you can stay where you are that long? If not, move now, it would be worse to do it the older she gets.

Old 05-11-2009, 04:15 PM

4,222 posts, read 6,729,234 times
Quote:
You should move. Kids adjust. I was a military officer and had to move every two years. No big deal. Go for it.

Old 05-11-2009, 09:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vindaloo View Post
You should move. Kids adjust. I was a military officer and had to move every two years. No big deal. Go for it.
I swear I don't think I can make her move right now. I think we will let the market rebound here a bit, my husband settle into his new job for awhile (it's only been 4 months) and make the best of where we are. We have a great house and pool, so life is good, why complicate it? I really am trying to convince myself...... it's not working, although it all sounds good.

Found out her soccer could be a half an hour drive each way for me if we move. It's a 3 minute drive where we are now, same for her la crosse. The high school and middle school here are also only 2-3 minutes. I admit I like that.

While I am sure she would adjust, I think we will just see how the next year unfolds. Life has a way of throwing you curve balls, so maybe we should just sit tight for the time being.

Old 05-12-2009, 02:51 PM

70 posts, read 242,478 times
Glad you liked the area, it is tough not to. When we moved last year, my daughter was in 8th grade and my son in 4th grade. Really tough on my daughter, even though we have moved many times. Girls are so different from boys. My daughter still complains about the move, but it is what it is and she understands why we moved (again). She has made some great friends this year and still talks daily to her friends in all 3 of the previous states and moves. I believe that in the future she will really understand why moving helped her in her life. Both kids have adjusted now and are 100% into their lives here after 1 year.

My son plays lacrosse with lake norman united lacrosse. Should be a high school sport here next year I believe but is no more than 2 years out.

Old 05-12-2009, 02:56 PM

4,280 posts, read 10,055,476 times
Quote:
I can't remember the last time I wore a pair of cut-offs, but I do have all of my teeth, and darn proud of it.
Gee-whiz, me to, on both counts!

Old 05-12-2009, 04:58 PM

35,885 posts, read 67,186,293 times
Quote:
I swear I don't think I can make her move right now. I think we will let the market rebound here a bit, my husband settle into his new job for awhile (it's only been 4 months) and make the best of where we are. We have a great house and pool, so life is good, why complicate it? I really am trying to convince myself...... it's not working, although it all sounds good.

Found out her soccer could be a half an hour drive each way for me if we move. It's a 3 minute drive where we are now, same for her la crosse. The high school and middle school here are also only 2-3 minutes. I admit I like that.

While I am sure she would adjust, I think we will just see how the next year unfolds. Life has a way of throwing you curve balls, so maybe we should just sit tight for the time being.
Well, sounds like this is not going to be for you right now.

If things change and your hubby can transfer later on . . . I hope you will give us a second look!

Old 05-12-2009, 09:18 PM

50 posts, read 121,958 times
Just curious, what has made you move 3 times in the past 4 years?

Old 12-22-2009, 12:29 PM

6 posts, read 9,774 times
being a former resident above the mason-dixon line myself, let me just say that charlotte area traffic is a walk in the park compared to the north. charlotte would be a nice little neighborhood in nyc or philly or boston, so don't sweat the complaints of "traffic" here!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or