Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-05-2009, 07:57 PM

20 posts, read 47,849 times

Advertisements

OH NO!!!!! We can't move there now! If they allow smoking in restaurants and bars, we can never go out! Not that we go out that often, but when we do, I want it to be smoke free!!! No offense to any of you out there that smoke, but I can't tolerate it. Darn it anyway! Things seemed to be falling into place until you dropped the 'S' bomb! I don't care if you don't have any teeth, just don't light up around me...... please! I have a whole new appreciation for PA now. No smoking in bars or restaurants here, teeth or no teeth!

And, thank you for offering to have us over in our t-shirts and cut-offs. I can't remember the last time I wore a pair of cut-offs, but I do have all of my teeth, and darn proud of it. ha. However, I am looking into veneers, and I don't do acrylic. lol.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-05-2009, 08:06 PM

45,218 posts, read 100,694,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by taxiismygame View Post
OH NO!!!!! We can't move there now! If they allow smoking in restaurants and bars, we can never go out! Not that we go out that often, but when we do, I want it to be smoke free!!! No offense to any of you out there that smoke, but I can't tolerate it. Darn it anyway! Things seemed to be falling into place until you dropped the 'S' bomb! I don't care if you don't have any teeth, just don't light up around me...... please! I have a whole new appreciation for PA now. No smoking in bars or restaurants here, teeth or no teeth!

And, thank you for offering to have us over in our t-shirts and cut-offs. I can't remember the last time I wore a pair of cut-offs, but I do have all of my teeth, and darn proud of it. ha. However, I am looking into veneers, and I don't do acrylic. lol.
Many places are now smoke free - you should be able to find places to go out. We're just not real big on having this be legislated

Old 05-05-2009, 08:12 PM

1,350 posts, read 3,782,277 times
Coming from NJ I am also use to no smoking and loved it. It has been an adjustment but we have places that do not allow smoking, so those are the establishments we go to. We have walked out of several places do to smoke. My hope is that in the near future it will be a thing of the past down here too. (Sorry everyone but that is how I feel don't hate me )

Old 05-05-2009, 08:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssd3 View Post
Coming from NJ I am also use to no smoking and loved it. It has been an adjustment but we have places that do not allow smoking, so those are the establishments we go to. We have walked out of several places do to smoke. My hope is that in the near future it will be a thing of the past down here too. (Sorry everyone but that is how I feel don't hate me )
Okay, thanks, that is such a relief to know. We too will just frequent the places that don't allow it. I can live with that.

Old 05-06-2009, 07:21 AM

160 posts, read 401,620 times
I believe there is a bill in the NC leg now that would ban smoking in restaurants in the near future. It has passed the house and most likely will become law soon. Smoking won't be such the big issue in restaurants for much longer.

NC is a little late to the game with this as the other areas of the country I've lived in have been smoke free for years. It will be nice to be able to go out to eat again and not come home smelling nasty.

Old 05-06-2009, 09:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cagman View Post
I believe there is a bill in the NC leg now that would ban smoking in restaurants in the near future. It has passed the house and most likely will become law soon. Smoking won't be such the big issue in restaurants for much longer.

NC is a little late to the game with this as the other areas of the country I've lived in have been smoke free for years. It will be nice to be able to go out to eat again and not come home smelling nasty.
I totally concur, and am happy to know there is legislation in the works!

Old 05-06-2009, 10:08 AM

4,222 posts, read 7,894,400 times
The traffic problem seems to really get bad going north after exit #28. That is six miles south of Mooresville. Under normal conditions, driving into Charlotte city center would take around 25 to 30 minutes. Like any other city, an accident can slow traffic considerably. Overall, it is not too bad for a city the size of Charlotte. It is very easy to get anywhere in minimal time under normal conditions. There are numerous very nice neighborhoods in Huntersville, Cornelius, and Mooresville. Davidson may appear small, but it connects to Cornelius and has lots of ammenities in the area. Davidson reminds me of a New England college town. You might be interested on checking out the Penincula in Cornelius. There are numerous up scale neighborhoods being build in the Northern Mecklenburg part of the area. There are numerous options. As far as being accepted, unless you are Hitler, Suddam Hussain, or Pelosi ( my personal opinion) there will be no reason for you not to be accepted. Good luck.

Old 05-06-2009, 10:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssd3 View Post
No need to be sorry. I am a returning native. Most of the people that I know and/or have known all of my life want smoking banned. I lived in states and foreign countries during their conversion to non-smoking. It always worked out wonderfully. My social life has been disrupted with the lack of a smoking ban here in N.C. Many places do not allow smoking, but most still do. My wife is very sensitive to smoke and can't go into many good restaurants because of the smoke. I hate going out for a beer and stinking like an ashtray when I get home. Fortunately, it looks as if smoking in public will be history in the next several months.

Old 05-06-2009, 10:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by taxiismygame View Post

No smoking in bars or restaurants here, teeth or no teeth!

I can't remember the last time I wore a pair of cut-offs, but I do have all of my teeth, and darn proud of it. ha. However, I am looking into veneers, and I don't do acrylic. lol.
What's up with the teeth thing? Are you from England?

Old 05-06-2009, 10:29 AM

1,350 posts, read 3,782,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vindaloo View Post
No need to be sorry. I am a returning native. Most of the people that I know and/or have known all of my life want smoking banned. I lived in states and foreign countries during their conversion to non-smoking. It always worked out wonderfully. My social life has been disrupted with the lack of a smoking ban here in N.C. Many places do not allow smoking, but most still do. My wife is very sensitive to smoke and can't go into many good restaurants because of the smoke. I hate going out for a beer and stinking like an ashtray when I get home. Fortunately, it looks as if smoking in public will be history in the next several months.
That would be great!!! My 3 kids are all asthmatic and I am very sensitive (ex smoker) to smoke. I think a lot of businesses in NJ saw an improvement in business when smoking was banned. I think there are a lot of us out there that do not go to many places because of the smoke. I don't think business down here will suffer either.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte