U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-04-2009, 08:25 AM

20 posts, read 38,984 times

Advertisements

We are more than likely moving from PA to the Mooresville area with my husband's job. We like the neighborhood 'The Point,' but since it is more of an upscale neighborhood, I worry that people might not be very receptive to newcomers. We are not pretentious or snobby in anyway, however, we do like an upscale neighborhood that offers many amenities.

We have been in PA for several years, and have met some very nice people herre, but this area is just not for us. People in this area are not quick to welcome you into their social circle.

We are from the Midwest, and loved it there. Our neighborhood offered a swim team, walking and biking trails, tennis courts, three pools, etc. The area we live in now is quite rural and neighborhoods like that just don't exist here, so we are looking for that as part of the major criteria (schools first and foremost of course) when locating a neighborhood.

Your thoughts and comments are appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-04-2009, 09:30 AM

1,435 posts, read 5,223,122 times
Where is his job going to be and what type of commute (timewise) is he looking for?

That location while very nice can be brutal on someone commuting to uptown and back.

Old 05-04-2009, 09:40 AM

35,885 posts, read 67,052,657 times
Well, from what I have heard from people who either live there or have friends there, it seems the majority of homeowners moved from somewhere else. You will probably have some people who already have a very busy social life and regimen - and others who are newcomers just like you - and so are open. I have never heard anyone say anything about people being snobs. The only negative thing I heard was an acquaintance told me there was someone who lived near them who was quick to complain about everyone else's behavior - fault finding. But I have known people like that in neighborhoods where I lived . . . and people basically take it w/ a grain of salt.

I wouldn't hesitate buying there. It is a lovely area. You will be fine and I bet you will find lots of people who are very open and cordial.

Old 05-04-2009, 10:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlottean View Post
Where is his job going to be and what type of commute (timewise) is he looking for?

That location while very nice can be brutal on someone commuting to uptown and back.
He will be working in Davidson.

Old 05-04-2009, 10:33 AM

3 posts, read 4,976 times
Please don't move down here! There are SO many people!! It took me 1 hour and 10 minutes to get my child to school this morning (I live off of Brawley School Rd in The Farms). BEWARE of the traffic, it will ruin your life!

Old 05-04-2009, 11:49 AM

1,435 posts, read 5,223,122 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nativefor25 View Post
Please don't move down here! There are SO many people!! It took me 1 hour and 10 minutes to get my child to school this morning (I live off of Brawley School Rd in The Farms). BEWARE of the traffic, it will ruin your life!

That's pretty much where I was going with this. Traffic is a bear around that area until the roads are improved drastically.

Old 05-04-2009, 12:14 PM

569 posts, read 1,222,284 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by taxiismygame View Post
We are more than likely moving from PA to the Mooresville area with my husband's job. We like the neighborhood 'The Point,' but since it is more of an upscale neighborhood, I worry that people might not be very receptive to newcomers. We are not pretentious or snobby in anyway, however, we do like an upscale neighborhood that offers many amenities.

We have been in PA for several years, and have met some very nice people herre, but this area is just not for us. People in this area are not quick to welcome you into their social circle.

We are from the Midwest, and loved it there. Our neighborhood offered a swim team, walking and biking trails, tennis courts, three pools, etc. The area we live in now is quite rural and neighborhoods like that just don't exist here, so we are looking for that as part of the major criteria (schools first and foremost of course) when locating a neighborhood.

Your thoughts and comments are appreciated.
I do not think there is anybody but newcomers in Mooresville. You will be welcomed I'm sure. As other posters have stated traffic is a little rough up there due to the influx of people and building in the area. Good Luck!

Old 05-04-2009, 12:40 PM

11,836 posts, read 25,445,183 times
Brawley School Rd traffic is amazingly bad. I have clients in The Point & the community itself is beautiful.

Old 05-04-2009, 01:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nativefor25 View Post
If you were trying to scare me, it worked.... but only for a minute. lol. To say the traffic will 'ruin my life' is a pretty strong statement. My husband commutes 62 miles each way as it is right now, and the NJ Turnpike can be a real bear at times, so I don't know if we will think it is 'all that bad.' I drive into downtown Manhattan farily often, and that is what I would say could possibly 'ruin my life,' although I find it challenging. I will admit, I would NEVER want to have to do that everyday. That would require me having my nightly glass of wine at much too early of a time during the day! ha.

I don't want to live in Davidson because I think it is just too small for us. Where we curretnly live there is nothing around, so I want to make sure that isn;t the case for us the next time around. It sounds like Huntersville might have more things to offer than Mooresville, but it doesn't seem to have the type of neighborhood we are looking for. I might be all wrong about that though.

We will be flying to Charlotte this weekend to look around. We only have one child left at home (so sad) that will be in middle school next year, so I want to make sure she gets into the best schools. She loves to play la crosse and soccer, and is a very easy going child. While she isn't wild about the possibility of a move, she is open to it.

Nativefor25, you would retract that statement if you knew me. If I must say so myself, I am quite fun to know!

Old 05-04-2009, 01:13 PM

35,885 posts, read 67,052,657 times
Have you checked out River Run?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or