U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-05-2009, 01:37 PM

370 posts, read 634,222 times

Advertisements

I, like so many people, am looking for a job.

I am finishing up another degree and am just putting my feelers out there for employment. Thankfully I am not in a huge rush, but would really like to be employed sooner rather than later.

So my question for you is this....

Most places I am submitting my resume specifically say no phone calls in the postings. They want a resume and CV, that is it. What if I take the resume to them and submit in person? Is this against etiquette these days?

Honestly, I have been a SAHM for a while and my resume does not really highlight what a great asset I would be to any team. IF I can get an interview, I know I am okay. At this point, with so many people fighting for such few spots, I am hoping for some ideas on how to stand out. I am wanting to get my foot in the door and am willing to work incredibly hard.

Thoughts??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-05-2009, 01:44 PM

9,113 posts, read 15,300,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jordysmama View Post
I, like so many people, am looking for a job.

I am finishing up another degree and am just putting my feelers out there for employment. Thankfully I am not in a huge rush, but would really like to be employed sooner rather than later.

So my question for you is this....

Most places I am submitting my resume specifically say no phone calls in the postings. They want a resume and CV, that is it. What if I take the resume to them and submit in person? Is this against etiquette these days?

Honestly, I have been a SAHM for a while and my resume does not really highlight what a great asset I would be to any team. IF I can get an interview, I know I am okay. At this point, with so many people fighting for such few spots, I am hoping for some ideas on how to stand out. I am wanting to get my foot in the door and am willing to work incredibly hard.

Thoughts??
JM, its cutthroat out there right now and you have to do what you have to do.

If that means delivering your resume in person or something to that affect, then you do it. If you have to follow up and ask to speak to certain people in HR, then you do it.

Usually 9 times out of 10 when you email your resume it goes into a black hole. You have to be pushy to get what you want. Remember, the squeaky wheel.......

Be persistent (and professional), and don't give up on any opportunities.......there's too much competition out there right now who want the same thing you do...

just my .02

Last edited by CouponJack; 05-05-2009 at 01:57 PM..

Old 05-05-2009, 01:54 PM

1,039 posts, read 2,599,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CouponJack View Post

If that means delivering your resume in person or something to that affect, then you do it. If you have to follow up and ask to speak to certain people in HR, then you do it.

Usually 9 times out of 10 when you email your resume it goes into a black hole. You have to be pushy to get what you want. Remember, the squeaky wheel.......

Be persistent and don't give up on any opportunities.......there's too much competition out there right now who want the same thing you do...

just my .02
I concur. Dress nicely, don't take up too much of their time... Sounds like you will know how to be appropriate though... Good luck!

Old 05-05-2009, 01:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CouponJack View Post

Be persistent and don't give up on any opportunities.......there's too much competition out there right now who want the same thing you do...

just my .02
Thanks very much for your input.

I guess the worst thing that could happen is that they won't take my resume...

Old 05-05-2009, 01:59 PM

35,885 posts, read 65,265,344 times
I totally agree! In fact, that is the strategy I am SUGGESTING to people. You may still not actually be able to shake hands w/ the person who will be reviewing your resume, but then again - you might! In any event, you are being proactive and someone may notice that.

GOOD LUCK!!!

Old 05-05-2009, 02:03 PM

9,113 posts, read 15,300,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jordysmama View Post
Thanks very much for your input.

I guess the worst thing that could happen is that they won't take my resume...
No problem. I'm just being honest.

If you don't get it, at least you go down swinging.

Don't worry about stepping on toes (other candidates). They don't care about you. Worry about #1.

+1 to Gk, ALWAYS dress professional. Be courteus (sp?) but firm and ask for what you want. If you don't get face time the 1st time w/HR or the specific dept, ask for a specific name or names to follow up with......

Also, it can't hurt to butter up the receptionist or whoever the 1st roadblock is.....that usually gets me through the door when I make cold calls every once in a while.....you get more w/honey ya know......

Good luck and think positive!

Old 05-06-2009, 12:09 AM

332 posts, read 1,282,573 times
A tip for you about the electronic resumes/cv's... make it unique. Don't use a word template. If you do use a word template... jazz it up and make it your own.

Clearly, no glitter or smiley faces... but if it's your one chance to get their attention, you better make sure it says all you want them to hear.

I've added a "professional summary" as the top header my papers. It replaces the more traditional "objective"... I explain the gap in my employment as well as my goals and I even mention salary.

I know from my years in employment/HR that people barely take the time to read a resume, much less a long cover letter or email... unless, of course, they specifically request such formality.

I have very good response to my electronic resume submissions using the same thinking. My resume has some very light (printable) shading in areas. I have PDF and word doc formats. I have two pages with clear headings, bullets, subsections in quadrants/columns, and I include relevant paid experience, trainings, certifications, academic coursework, and skills/abilities.

It sounds like you are truly motivated and I send you best wishes. Good luck with your search. It's tough, isn't it?

Old 05-06-2009, 07:48 AM

7,041 posts, read 12,813,594 times
I would just like to add to the above suggestions:

Think of yourself as a product. You are just like a lot of other products out there...but, what would make someone like yourself pick YOU off the shelf and buy you? Is there something unique about you or your experience that you could highlight? You have to find a way to make your own niche.

As an example, my son is also looking for work. 10 years at Honda Financial Services, 10 years before that at Chick fil A. Not much different or unique there. BUT, he spent 3 years attending one of the most prestigious International Relations schools in Staffordshire, England. THAT is what he is highlighting. If a recruiter reads that, then, maybe he/she will read the rest.

hope that helps.

Old 05-06-2009, 07:54 AM

1,808 posts, read 5,757,334 times
In addition, I recommend creating a plain, text only (.txt) version of your resume (you can use Notepad or a similar text editor to do this).

This way, if you are filling in an online application for a job, you can cut and paste directly from your .txt file without having to worry about all of the extra code that your word processor dumps in there when you copy and paste from a .doc file.

The .txt file is a stripped down version that won't include any special formatting, but is a lifesaver for copying and pasting!

Old 05-06-2009, 11:31 AM

Thanks so much to everyone and all your wonderful suggestions.

I am going to sit down tonight and revamp my resume. It really is nothing special, so I am going to make it so.

This weekend I am going to buy a a great suit and am going to head to the law firms I know have some openings and try to get my resume to the right people.

Someone else suggested I just include my letters of recommendation with the resume so I guess I will do that to.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or