U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-06-2009, 02:06 PM

35,885 posts, read 67,165,475 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin2007 View Post
I had someone tell me that the numbers were manipulated by the PD now lumping crimes together... I have no idea what that means. SO I am skeptical.
I agree - stats can always be manipulated. But that murder rate - I am w/ Carolina Blue on that - don't see how it could be manipulated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-06-2009, 02:06 PM

1,547 posts, read 2,175,340 times
Weedy and Robin - You all are on to something very interesting. This Topic seems to really fire up
the story makers and non-believers.

Last edited by SunnyKayak; 05-06-2009 at 02:32 PM.. Reason: flamig

Old 05-06-2009, 02:18 PM

2,742 posts, read 5,994,650 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin2007 View Post
I had someone tell me that the numbers were manipulated by the PD now lumping crimes together... I have no idea what that means. SO I am skeptical.
The last time stats were released one of the news stations asked Monroe what he thought about people who suggest something funny is going on. I loved his answer…”Some people just like to complain. The same people who complained when the numbers were high, are now complaining that the numbers are too low.”

Keep in mind this is the same guy who did wonders in Richmond. Remember, those folks were very upset when he decided to come here. It’s not like he doesn’t have a track record for achieving these types of improvements.

Old 05-06-2009, 02:27 PM

494 posts, read 1,182,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carolina Blue View Post
The last time stats were released one of the news stations asked Monroe what he thought about people who suggest something funny is going on. I loved his answer…”Some people just like to complain. The same people who complained when the numbers were high, are now complaining that the numbers are too low.”

Keep in mind this is the same guy who did wonders in Richmond. Remember, those folks were very upset when he decided to come here. It’s not like he doesn’t have a track record for achieving these types of improvements.

Well...I will be absolutely THRILLED if he can get the crime under control here!! :-)

Old 05-07-2009, 09:33 AM

1,111 posts, read 1,690,373 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carolina Blue View Post

It must be those Charlotte Observer bloggers/posters that always want to complain about something. I swear, those people's sole existance in life is to be miserable. How sad!

Old 05-07-2009, 10:30 AM

211 posts, read 440,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagocubs View Post
Well, in my neighbourhood, the community police officers have taken a "no tolerance" stand. When thug-people tried to move back in, the police were THERE. watching, patrolling, making their lives difficult. It appears that they have moved out again. When we had gangs try to take over, they established license checkpoints at night and verified that the people coming in/going out were residents. They have been so much more proactive. I have always been a fan of my community police officers, but, now, it seems as though they have so much more authority. I am very proud/happy for them!

what area do you live in?

Old 05-07-2009, 10:39 AM

211 posts, read 440,516 times
you know what amuses me the most?

charlotte has crime but not as much as the murder rates chicago has... they are on the 35th child murdered due to uprising in gangs..

charlotte crimes are like "toddler" compared to chicago's

Old 05-07-2009, 10:57 AM

35,885 posts, read 67,165,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by msmanak View Post
you know what amuses me the most?

charlotte has crime but not as much as the murder rates chicago has... they are on the 35th child murdered due to uprising in gangs..

charlotte crimes are like "toddler" compared to chicago's
I listened to a report this morning about that very subject - children who have been murdered in CHI (was that on CNN, I think?)

That is why I say the homicide rate is the one statistic that stands out - you can't manipulate how many people got killed. Shoplifting is not a violent crime. Violent crime is what concerns most of us.

Old 05-07-2009, 01:43 PM

48 posts, read 429,438 times
Let me tell you something interesting I read the other day, in regards to the rising shoplifting stats (I'm really not trying to make light of such a serious topic, but I did have to chuckle just a bit when I read this). Also, my disclaimer is that I read this in a local magazine while I was waiting to see the doctor--I'm not claiming to know that this is for sure true.

As someone mentioned, of course it makes sense that more people will resort to shoplifting during a time of economic crisis. But I read that the rising demographic population of shoplifters is, get this: middle-aged, upper-middle-class white women! Apparently, over the past year, a lot of the high-end stores & boutiques have caught an unreal number of women shoplifting things like cocktail dresses and nice accessories! Huh...I'd think the embarrassment of getting caught stealing might be a little worse than showing up to a fancy party with--**gasp**--last season's accessories!!

Now, I don't know how these gals managed to walk away with the merchandise, since I thought stores lock behind glass or tag a lot of the expensive stuff, but they did interview several store managers who said their shoplifting rates have gone up by something like 8%-20%, and those are the people they've been catching. Shame on those women for doing that, but if there has to be a rising crime statistic in your city, that's better than many alternatives...

Old 05-07-2009, 01:47 PM

45,269 posts, read 88,542,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClevelandMike View Post
Weedy and Robin - You all are on to something very interesting. This Topic seems to really fire up
the story makers and non-believers.

Pot - Kettle -- Kettle - Pot
Good for you Mike - they say recognizing the problem is half the battle - I know it'll be hard but I'm thinking you can overcome this, I'm pulling for you
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte