U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-07-2009, 08:08 PM

7,041 posts, read 13,138,398 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by msmanak View Post
what area do you live in?
Currently, I live in Faires Farms which is in the University area...off Old Concord Rd.

In Chicago, I grew up in Logan Square and then moved to Jefferson Park. Graduated from Taft.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-07-2009, 08:11 PM

Quote:
you know what amuses me the most?

charlotte has crime but not as much as the murder rates chicago has... they are on the 35th child murdered due to uprising in gangs..

charlotte crimes are like "toddler" compared to chicago's
I grew up around those gangs in the city. Gang wars were everywhere; you had to learn what "colours" to wear so as not to be confused as being a member of an opposing gang. Someone once told me (a police officer) that Chicago was the home of gangs, as the first gangs (Mafia) took root there first. Don't know if that is true....

The murder rate in the city has always been bad. It is just very sad that kids are now getting killed in the crossfire.

Old 05-07-2009, 09:56 PM

211 posts, read 440,940 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagocubs View Post
I grew up around those gangs in the city. Gang wars were everywhere; you had to learn what "colours" to wear so as not to be confused as being a member of an opposing gang. Someone once told me (a police officer) that Chicago was the home of gangs, as the first gangs (Mafia) took root there first. Don't know if that is true....

The murder rate in the city has always been bad. It is just very sad that kids are now getting killed in the crossfire.

yes and>>> these crimes in charlotte are petty... I grew up in the burbs then moved into the city in my early 20's and I even knew then walking around humbolt park was a definate nO NO for a woman like me...

while I get crime overall sucks!! I have been victim of it.. 5 dollar cd player stolen out of my car as well window broken into due to pot dealing drug dealers next door...

honestly... the police in chicago dont even come to you when it comes to reporting... least they come even if 30 minutes here in charlotte... example.... belmont/plaza midwood last week or so had a shooting.. and 3 people got shot randomly... police came within few minutes..

chicago... they;d wait til you are dead!!! I dont even trust the police... even the over paid police comissioner... charlotte should be grateful in so many ways!

which is why Im looking forward for my move in august to here charlotte!... my last semester and final exit from the crappy micro controled gansters in city hall!

Old 05-08-2009, 08:53 AM

310 posts, read 592,472 times
I'm in agreement with 99% of the opinions posted here. I'm all about crime going down, both violent and nonviolent. However, and maybe this is the paranoid Libertarian in me speaking, I am a little uneasy at how readily the citizenry consents to more and more police presence in our private lives, and our homes and neighborhoods. Now, I'm not saying "eff the police" or trying to sound like a conspiracy nut, but there just HAS to be a happy median between all out lawlessness and a cop on every street, armed to the teeth with Glocks, Remington 870's, and AR15's/Colt M4 machineguns, right? Once again, this is NOT a anti-police anti-crime fighting post, I love what *MOST* of our boys in blue do. I'm just concerned we may find ourselves in 1984 before we know what happened to us in our never ending quest to feel safe. Your thoughts are appreciated, flames are not.

Old 05-08-2009, 09:14 AM

11,836 posts, read 25,489,926 times
Quote:
chicago... they;d wait til you are dead!!! I dont even trust the police... even the over paid police comissioner... charlotte should be grateful in so many ways!
I guess having your CCW isn't an option up there?

Old 05-08-2009, 07:27 PM

332 posts, read 1,313,527 times
To be honest, I haven't even considered crime in my move-decision. Isn't that awful?

I just spent 5 years in an area where... while I loved most of it, I now have 5 police reports on file with them for crimes committed against me during that time. The last one is only half complete b/c the cops didn't feel the mugging warranted an officer being sent out and once I followed up as I was told... they lost the information. Ha.

I don't want to be unsafe by any means but I just can't imagine having more petty idiot criminals than in my last town.

Honestly, the main thing that concerns me would be gang issues... only because unhinged adolescents are unpredictable... I should know... that's my livelihood!!

Maybe I should start paying more attention to the crime stuff... that's the only reason I ever feel pressure about being single at this age. I did the long term relationship thing throughout my early 20's and then had roommates until my late 20's... so other than an apt for a year alone after my fresh year of college when I was too naive to be afraid... well, this is the first time I've had to face that whole vulnerable female issue.

I will just pay hobos to sleep in my den. That will work.

Old 05-08-2009, 08:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by barkingowl View Post
i guess having your ccw isn't an option up there?
ccw?

Old 05-08-2009, 08:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattman704 View Post
I'm in agreement with 99% of the opinions posted here. I'm all about crime going down, both violent and nonviolent. However, and maybe this is the paranoid Libertarian in me speaking, I am a little uneasy at how readily the citizenry consents to more and more police presence in our private lives, and our homes and neighborhoods. Now, I'm not saying "eff the police" or trying to sound like a conspiracy nut, but there just HAS to be a happy median between all out lawlessness and a cop on every street, armed to the teeth with Glocks, Remington 870's, and AR15's/Colt M4 machineguns, right? Once again, this is NOT a anti-police anti-crime fighting post, I love what *MOST* of our boys in blue do. I'm just concerned we may find ourselves in 1984 before we know what happened to us in our never ending quest to feel safe. Your thoughts are appreciated, flames are not.
I am all for whatever it takes to keep crime at bay. In the UK, they have closed circuit TV watching everything that people do on the streets and it is a big deterrent. I think that is great. I think that if people feel like there is a real (serious) consequence to doing wrong, they will be a lot more cognizant of doing good!!

Old 05-08-2009, 08:47 PM

Quote:
yes and>>> these crimes in charlotte are petty... I grew up in the burbs then moved into the city in my early 20's and I even knew then walking around humbolt park was a definate nO NO for a woman like me...

while I get crime overall sucks!! I have been victim of it.. 5 dollar cd player stolen out of my car as well window broken into due to pot dealing drug dealers next door...

honestly... the police in chicago dont even come to you when it comes to reporting... least they come even if 30 minutes here in charlotte... example.... belmont/plaza midwood last week or so had a shooting.. and 3 people got shot randomly... police came within few minutes..

which is why Im looking forward for my move in august to here charlotte!... my last semester and final exit from the crappy micro controled gansters in city hall!
Well, you know, if you don't "support" your alderman properly, you won't get amenities like police protection... Seriously.

Grew up there. I know all about the crime, been mugged plenty of times. My mother's car was stolen regularly; about every 6-8 months or so, then, it would be mysteriously "found"...only to happen again. But, then again, my father/grandfather were vehemently against "supporting" our aldermen. My uncle was mugged in front of his house and left for dead. Nobody called an ambulance for 2 days; he was in a coma and did end up dying. That and the weather were the two big reasons that I moved.

Crime in Charlotte is bad, but, (according to the TV news report) 80% of the crime is made by the same repeat offenders. We have a problem with the DA not wanting to put these guys away, resulting in a revolving door of crime. We are starting to have gangs here; the majority of the issues are gang wanna-bes, not actual gang members. I was, however, startled to hear the other day that a member of the Latin Kings was busted here. They have not been down here before.

Old 05-08-2009, 08:59 PM

11,836 posts, read 25,489,926 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagocubs View Post
ccw?
A permit to carry a concealed weapon.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte