U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-06-2009, 07:14 AM

35,885 posts, read 67,141,087 times

Advertisements

It seems everyone wants to discuss crime here . . . and there have been many threads on Crime in Charlotte. But no one has mentioned that our crime rate is significantly DOWN in every category but one: Shoplifting. No surprise about that (correlation w/ economic downturn - people turn to low hanging fruit - steal and sell at flea markets and online).

I feel the crime reduction is due, in great part (if not entirely), to the efforts of our new Police Chief Monroe. I am not sure if the DA's office has given up their Catch and Release Policy (wh/ has led to the Revolving Door phenomenon) . . . but something has clicked, as the stats are impressive.

Compared to last year:

Homicides: Down 58.1 percent
Robberies: Down 30.3 percent
Burglaries: Down 24.7 percent
Shoplifting: Up 8.4 percent

Read more here:

News 14 | 24 Hour Local News | Charlotte | Crime rates continue to drop for Char-Meck
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-06-2009, 07:27 AM

7,041 posts, read 13,125,241 times
Well, in my neighbourhood, the community police officers have taken a "no tolerance" stand. When thug-people tried to move back in, the police were THERE. watching, patrolling, making their lives difficult. It appears that they have moved out again. When we had gangs try to take over, they established license checkpoints at night and verified that the people coming in/going out were residents. They have been so much more proactive. I have always been a fan of my community police officers, but, now, it seems as though they have so much more authority. I am very proud/happy for them!

Old 05-06-2009, 08:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagocubs View Post
Well, in my neighbourhood, the community police officers have taken a "no tolerance" stand. When thug-people tried to move back in, the police were THERE. watching, patrolling, making their lives difficult. It appears that they have moved out again. When we had gangs try to take over, they established license checkpoints at night and verified that the people coming in/going out were residents. They have been so much more proactive. I have always been a fan of my community police officers, but, now, it seems as though they have so much more authority. I am very proud/happy for them!
I am sooooo glad you posted your experience. This is very encouraging. I am sure you are relieved that things are being addressed. I knew Chief Monroe has been saying he has patrols out doing the grassroots work to try to clean up the criminal element, but hearing it from you - and knowing this is something you have witnessed - puts it all in better focus.

Thank you, CHI!

Old 05-06-2009, 08:56 AM

2,742 posts, read 5,993,100 times
Iím absolutely ecstatic with the job Monroe is doing. However, when I see the rates falling like this, I get mixed emotions. Iím extremely happy with Monroe, but I also get madder at former Chief Stephens. These new stats highlight that Charlotte was out of control under Stephens, and that criminals felt they could get away with murder, pardon the pun. Speaking of which, just look at this stat Ė HOMICIDES DOWN 58%!!!

Old 05-06-2009, 09:22 AM

3,774 posts, read 7,007,784 times

Old 05-06-2009, 09:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carolina Blue View Post
Iím absolutely ecstatic with the job Monroe is doing. However, when I see the rates falling like this, I get mixed emotions. Iím extremely happy with Monroe, but I also get madder at former Chief Stephens. These new stats highlight that Charlotte was out of control under Stephens, and that criminals felt they could get away with murder, pardon the pun. Speaking of which, just look at this stat Ė HOMICIDES DOWN 58%!!!
I know how you feel. I have been thinking the same thing. But I am still watching the DA's office. That is what will tell the tale. As you have doubtless heard law enforcement officials say . . . all they can do is arrest the guys - it is up to the DA's office to make the case and get it to court. If the DA's office is gonna continue to plea down and keep that Revolving Door swingin back and forth . . . then all the great police work ain't gonna matter much in the long run.

So I am watching to see if Chief Monroe gets the support he and his department need from the DA's office.

CB - despite the disgust at the previous administration - we really do have to focus on supporting our new Chief and his policies. I think as citizens, the best way we can do that is to demand action at the DA's office - and to continue to spotlight the tremendous strides Monroe is making.

Old 05-06-2009, 09:38 AM

359 posts, read 1,016,123 times
Like Chicagocubs, we have also noted a big difference in police presence in the neighboorhood this year as compared to last year. and things have quieted down alot. This is a wonderful thing and I hope that it will continue..Charlotte is too great of a city to be riddled with crime..

Old 05-06-2009, 09:50 AM

630 posts, read 1,677,181 times
I thought the cops even under Stephens did a good job. It's no secret that the problem lies in the catch and release mentality of the DA's office. More severe penalties, including the death penalty would help the cause

Old 05-06-2009, 10:03 AM

494 posts, read 1,182,317 times
I am little skeptical of the "suddenly crime is way down". It really seems strange to me w/ that once people started speaking up about all the crime in Charlotte that suddenly the numbers start going down.

If the numbers are true that is fabulous.

Old 05-06-2009, 10:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flexysteve View Post
I thought the cops even under Stephens did a good job. It's no secret that the problem lies in the catch and release mentality of the DA's office. More severe penalties, including the death penalty would help the cause
We have a great police force here. I would say that the administration of the police force needed new insight and direction. What Monroe has done is figure out how to focus manpower and resources at specific crime areas and address it on the spot (among other things, of course).

ROBIN - I know it almost sounds "too good to be true," but what had driven our crime rate up were basically a group of young repeat offenders (who I refer to as thugs) who were creating havoc across the city. And what was so disgusting - these guys had long rap sheets, but the DA's office would plead them down and they would be back on the streets again - and offending again! So a lot of the crime has simply STOPPED b/c Monroe insisted that this cyclical "catch and release" posture cease (so the thugs are not on the street - they are locked up now). That is why I am watching the DA's office. Let's see if they go back to the old mentality in the coming months.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte