U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-06-2009, 08:49 AM

1,511 posts, read 2,877,928 times

Advertisements

I am trying to stay positive and upbeat, but I am getting very discouraged as the weeks go by without any "real" offers. The only people coming through my house are casual lookers that throw out numbers way below market value and then never even try to counter.

My house is probably going to appraise much lower than expected due to short sales and just the dumpy economy in general. No way are we making any kind of profit on this sale, which means where are we going to find the money for a new house.

Hopefully as the school year winds down (we are done 2nd week in June) we will start getting some serious buyers. I just want to move on with the rest of my life in Charlotte. We have a preschool picked out, we need to get a nanny probably and we need to settle on a neighborhood. And still we wait for my stupid house to sell (or even rent, although that seems to be dead too).

Sorry for the long vent. Thanks for listening and please send some positive thoughts my way!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-06-2009, 10:26 AM

45,270 posts, read 88,403,909 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagomichauds View Post
I am trying to stay positive and upbeat, but I am getting very discouraged as the weeks go by without any "real" offers. The only people coming through my house are casual lookers that throw out numbers way below market value and then never even try to counter.

My house is probably going to appraise much lower than expected due to short sales and just the dumpy economy in general. No way are we making any kind of profit on this sale, which means where are we going to find the money for a new house.

Hopefully as the school year winds down (we are done 2nd week in June) we will start getting some serious buyers. I just want to move on with the rest of my life in Charlotte. We have a preschool picked out, we need to get a nanny probably and we need to settle on a neighborhood. And still we wait for my stupid house to sell (or even rent, although that seems to be dead too).

Sorry for the long vent. Thanks for listening and please send some positive thoughts my way!
Things are moving slowly, especially in the higher price ranges. Hang in there, this too shall pass

Old 05-06-2009, 10:35 AM

35,885 posts, read 67,065,320 times
Timing is everything. It may be a GOOD thing your house hasn't sold - maybe it will bring more if the sale is delayed! I know - longshot - but you can't let yourself get all bummed out at this stage. If I remember correctly, your hubby is already down here, right? So the dye is cast and now you need to move to get your family together again - and of course - get children in school this Fall.

I don't know what your situation is at this point as far as your hubby's accommodations. Is he renting an apartment? You may want to consider moving into an apartment and getting the kids started in school if the house has not sold by July/August. Just a thought. This long distance stuff is so hard - I know - went through it for over a year.

Don't get down at this stage! Your hubby has a job! The house is gonna sell - and May or June may be the months when it will sell! You just haven't found that right buyer yet. I am sure you have done everything you can to "set your home apart" f/ the rest . . . that is all you can do right now, I would think. And you must keep your spirits up! Soon, this will all be behind you - and life will go on - and you will hardly even think about these stressful days.

Old 05-06-2009, 11:33 AM

69 posts, read 144,775 times
I feel you pain except our house we are selling in in Charlotte and we now live in NY. Things are so slow it is very discouraging and depressing. I send lots of good thoughts your way!

Old 05-06-2009, 11:37 AM

35,885 posts, read 67,065,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckwyviorka View Post
I feel you pain except our house we are selling in in Charlotte and we now live in NY. Things are so slow it is very discouraging and depressing. I send lots of good thoughts your way!
Hope you get some good news, too CK. This has been the most discouraging time to sell property - almost anywhere.

Old 05-06-2009, 11:40 AM

494 posts, read 1,181,396 times
I feel for you. We have been on the market for 16 months...we think our home is beautiful and is now priced back to lower than we bought it back in 2004. I guess I wouldn't mind as much if we had not already bought land to build on last year and the CONSTANT showings is leaving me absolutely EXHAUSTED and FRUSTRATED. SO many people looking ...no one making real offers.

Anyway...just wanted you to know that you are not alone in your frustration.

Old 05-06-2009, 01:21 PM

9,114 posts, read 15,653,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagomichauds View Post

!
I understand needing to vent, but it sounds like you've recently moved here recently (because you state you aren't going to make a profit).

The problem is everyone has been brainwashed thinking housing is a lock to appreciate, when historically it only has appreciated right around the inflation rate.

You need to do a couple of things possibly to move off of dead center.

1. Face reality and understand that you are not going to get what you think you are for your home. You need to lower the selling price until you start receiving offers from qualified buyers.

2. Lower your champagne tastes for your new home. If you are looking to spend 300K for a new home (as an example), you might have to lower your standards and look for homes in the 250K range.....

3. Change plans and take your home off the market for a couple of years and save more money.

Hope this helps....

Old 05-06-2009, 01:25 PM

45,270 posts, read 88,403,909 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CouponJack View Post
I understand needing to vent, but it sounds like you've recently moved here recently (because you state you aren't going to make a profit).

The problem is everyone has been brainwashed thinking housing is a lock to appreciate, when historically it only has appreciated right around the inflation rate.

You need to do a couple of things possibly to move off of dead center.

1. Face reality and understand that you are not going to get what you think you are for your home. You need to lower the selling price until you start receiving offers from qualified buyers.

2. Lower your champagne tastes for your new home. If you are looking to spend 300K for a new home (as an example), you might have to lower your standards and look for homes in the 250K range.....

3. Change plans and take your home off the market for a couple of years and save more money.

Hope this helps....
Jack, you crack me up - but I do believe you ARE trying to be helpful

I think she is in CHICAGO - which is having a terrible time right now. Her husband is here in temp housing and she is anxious to get to Charlotte to start the rest of her life

Old 05-06-2009, 02:29 PM

9,114 posts, read 15,653,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
Jack, you crack me up - but I do believe you ARE trying to be helpful

I think she is in CHICAGO - which is having a terrible time right now. Her husband is here in temp housing and she is anxious to get to Charlotte to start the rest of her life
I understand its terrible out there, but sometimes as a seller you have to face reality. Hoping will not always cut it. If she can take less for what its currently selling for, then she might have to do that. If she can wait (which it doesn't sound like) then wait it out....The RE market is not getting better anytime soon.

I'm just giving her some options that are in her control.

Old 05-06-2009, 02:37 PM

1,511 posts, read 2,877,928 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CouponJack View Post
I understand its terrible out there, but sometimes as a seller you have to face reality. Hoping will not always cut it. If she can take less for what its currently selling for, then she might have to do that. If she can wait (which it doesn't sound like) then wait it out....The RE market is not getting better anytime soon.

I'm just giving her some options that are in her control.
This week we are getting some updated numbers of what are comps in my immediate neighborhood. And Ani is right: we have not sold yet. We are still dropping the price as we speak. . I know it will go even lower than I've already dropped it.

My vent is that sheesh: I don't know how we will be buying in Charlotte if we lose so much money in Chicagoland. My husband is in corporate housing, and that will not last forever.

There really is no solution to my vent except drop the price and try to be patient. My realtor is trying to be positive too. Just stressed out right now and trying to keep things in perspective. My husband is completely depressed at the way our house turned out value-wise, which is a pretty common theme all around. [ where are the violins playing icons ]
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte