Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-06-2009, 03:30 PM

48 posts, read 469,696 times

Advertisements

Hi, all! This is probably a really dumb question, but as I am totally petrified of bugs, I have to ask. So, my husband and I are in the process of purchasing our first house (we close in a few weeks, then move in that weekend). The termite inspection was clean, and he said he didn't see signs of any other pests. I would like to make sure it stays that way, because, as I think I mentioned, I am absolutely terrified of bugs (I could handle mice & snakes before I could ever handle roaches or ants..."knock on wood", I don't want to tempt fate!).

My questions are as follows:

1) Would it be rude if we ask the sellers their current "mode of extermination" (I mean, there are no bugs now, so could I ask them how they keep it that way, or is that completely tacky?)

2) Would it make sense to have an exterminator come to the property before we move in, and if so, what exactly should be done for maintenance "keep bugs away" (I know I could ask the company what they recommend, but just to be sure they don't rip off someone who would just about deplete her savings (jk) to ensure a bug-free home, I wanted to ask here)?

3) If, for example, the current owners have some kind of spray, etc in place that I don't know about, is it dangerous to have someone else come out to spray (like, will the chemicals overpower us and give us 3-eyed babies or something...not that I'm pregnant, but you know what I mean).

Thanks so much for any advice!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-06-2009, 03:37 PM

19,855 posts, read 65,818,191 times
It's not insulting to ask them if they have a pest control company they can recommend to you. If they don't use one, they will tell you so and you can ask them what product they are using as you liked how bug-free their house is. No insult there, either!

Old 05-06-2009, 03:37 PM

45,218 posts, read 100,712,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KLeigh0916 View Post
Hi, all! This is probably a really dumb question, but as I am totally petrified of bugs, I have to ask. So, my husband and I are in the process of purchasing our first house (we close in a few weeks, then move in that weekend). The termite inspection was clean, and he said he didn't see signs of any other pests. I would like to make sure it stays that way, because, as I think I mentioned, I am absolutely terrified of bugs (I could handle mice & snakes before I could ever handle roaches or ants..."knock on wood", I don't want to tempt fate!).

My questions are as follows:

1) Would it be rude if we ask the sellers their current "mode of extermination" (I mean, there are no bugs now, so could I ask them how they keep it that way, or is that completely tacky?)

2) Would it make sense to have an exterminator come to the property before we move in, and if so, what exactly should be done for maintenance "keep bugs away" (I know I could ask the company what they recommend, but just to be sure they don't rip off someone who would just about deplete her savings (jk) to ensure a bug-free home, I wanted to ask here)?

3) If, for example, the current owners have some kind of spray, etc in place that I don't know about, is it dangerous to have someone else come out to spray (like, will the chemicals overpower us and give us 3-eyed babies or something...not that I'm pregnant, but you know what I mean).

Thanks so much for any advice!

WOW. Just WOW. You could handle a mouse of a snake, but an ant throws you into a panic???? I'm trying REALLY hard, but I just can't get my brain around that!!!

Not meaning to make fun of you, but a snake??? You don't mind a snake, but you can't handle a bug?????? HOW DOES THIS HAPPEN? I'm being very serious, I do not understand this and it seems very bizarre to me, sorry!

Okay, now that I got THAT out of my system, no it's not rude to ask the prior owners what they've been doing. In all likilhood they've been doing not much because it's not like bugs are a huge issue in Charlotte. Some people do pay for an exterminator to come out every 3 months, 6 months or once a year to spray around the exterior foundation. But I cannot imagine you'd need anything more than that

Old 05-06-2009, 03:45 PM

48 posts, read 469,696 times
Thanks for the quick responses!
And lovesmountains, lol, I literally did start laughing when I read what you said!

Yes, I'm an odd duck when it comes to creatures! It's almost like, the bigger they get, the LESS scared I am of them! Haha, I'm not afraid of crabs and lobsters (as my sister is), but little spiders send me running. And yup, I think mice are cute, although I did have to feed them to the pet snake I had many years ago, so that could be why I don't mind mice or snakes (with the obvious exception of the risk for disease or a venomous bite, of course, which is why I certainly don't WANT them to take up residence in my home).

But yeah, if I see a bug that my husband doesn't immediately kill, then I will not be able to sleep knowing that it's hiding somewhere waiting for me to sleep so it can lay eggs in my ear (haha I know that won't REALLY happen, but I still can't get that image out of my head! It's my biggest irrational fear!). So actually, if any person knows of that actually happening to someone, please don't tell me about it. omg, lovesmountains, look at the crazy that you brought out in me, for everyone to see!

Old 05-06-2009, 04:09 PM

35,879 posts, read 77,483,478 times
HA HA HA!! You are gonna be fine, KLeigh, LOL!! Altho I agree - it is unusual to find someone who is not afraid of snakes but hates bugs - I also know we all have our hang ups!

As others have said, no one will be insulted if you ask about exterminators.

If I were you, I would just have the place sprayed as a preventive measure b/f I moved in. Spending the money would be worth the peace of mind.

Old 05-06-2009, 04:24 PM

45,218 posts, read 100,712,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KLeigh0916 View Post
Thanks for the quick responses!
And lovesmountains, lol, I literally did start laughing when I read what you said!

Yes, I'm an odd duck when it comes to creatures! It's almost like, the bigger they get, the LESS scared I am of them! Haha, I'm not afraid of crabs and lobsters (as my sister is), but little spiders send me running. And yup, I think mice are cute, although I did have to feed them to the pet snake I had many years ago, so that could be why I don't mind mice or snakes (with the obvious exception of the risk for disease or a venomous bite, of course, which is why I certainly don't WANT them to take up residence in my home).

But yeah, if I see a bug that my husband doesn't immediately kill, then I will not be able to sleep knowing that it's hiding somewhere waiting for me to sleep so it can lay eggs in my ear (haha I know that won't REALLY happen, but I still can't get that image out of my head! It's my biggest irrational fear!). So actually, if any person knows of that actually happening to someone, please don't tell me about it. omg, lovesmountains, look at the crazy that you brought out in me, for everyone to see!
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA - SO glad you weren't offended, I meant no harm. And I so relate to irrational fears, as Ani said, we do all have them!!

Old 05-07-2009, 06:02 AM

873 posts, read 1,804,104 times
You'll get a better job if you have it treated before you move in.

I have customers that have it treated monthly, quarterly, etc. so that's all up to your tolerance level of bugs. I even have "regular" customers that have me out once a year.

You shouldn't have to sign any kind of contract for pest control but some of the rip-off companies will try to get you to do that.

And finally, it should be treated with products that are low in toxicity to mammals: you and dogs, cats, etc.

Old 05-07-2009, 06:48 AM

4,507 posts, read 9,061,904 times
KLeigh, I'll join in with you with my irrational fear of bugs but not mice or snakes. Those long legged flying things we get at this time of year completely creep me out and the other night a giant beetle flew in the house and I ran (while screaming like a girl) to hide in the laundry room while DH and the kids tracked and killed nasty bugger. ACK!!!!! However, I am the family mouse catcher and I love the snakes we have around (I figure the more snakes the less chance I'll have to worry about a mouse, lol).

That being said, we don't have regular pest control service as we rarely have bugs in the house. When we do they come in when we open the door, as did the beetle the other night. I like DH to spray around the outside of the house once or twice a year. I don't like to use chemicals too much as they kill even the good bugs and in general I don't like using chemicals when I don't need to. Once we had creepy little millipede things in the crawlspace that we had sprayed but that is once in 6 years. Not bad for living in buggy NC. We actually get more of those little green lizards in the house than bugs....I just pick them up by the tail and put them back outside.

If I were you, I'd have the house treated before you move in and then see from there. You may be surprised that you don't need regular treatment in the house. Good luck, and welcome!!

Old 05-07-2009, 09:33 AM

10 posts, read 33,297 times
Default ask nicely?

I bet if you put the question nicely, then the current owners would be happy to tell you how they kept their home so nice, as it's something to be proud of! Now, if I could only stop spiders from sneaking into my house somehow...

Old 05-07-2009, 11:34 AM

873 posts, read 1,804,104 times
You can!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by swimmingmom View Post
Now, if I could only stop spiders from sneaking into my house somehow...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte