U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-05-2007, 07:34 AM

148 posts, read 506,547 times

Advertisements

STILL looking to relocate to Union County and feel that a new school would be best for kids. If any of you have kids that go to the new Marvin Middle School or High School can you please let me know what the atmosphere is like? Do you feel that it is struggling due to its newness or going smoothly?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-05-2007, 08:52 AM

4,097 posts, read 10,179,376 times
The new MS has only been open to 6th graders this year and they are being housed at Kensington ES. 7th and 8th graders still attend Weddington MS.

The new MS and HS won't officially open until next school year.

Dawn

Old 04-05-2007, 09:15 AM

1,304 posts, read 3,874,730 times
Default New Marvin Ridge Middle and High Schools

As Dawn mentioned, these new schools are not officially opened, yet. They both have websites that are tracking the progress. Almost daily a new announcement comes out with news of hiring of coaches, staff, etc.

Marvin Ridge High School (Staff housed at Marvin Elementary)
http://mrhs.ucps.k12.nc.us/

Marvin Ridge Middle School (Staff and 6th graders at Kensington ES)
http://mrms.ucps.k12.nc.us/

Because Kensington Elementary had the space, Marvin Ridge Middle grouped all the sixth graders there. The seventh and eighth graders are still at Weddington Middle, however, the students and teachers who will be going to Marvin Ridge were separated from the Weddington students at the beginning of this year, so the students and teachers who will move to Marvin Ridge are already familiar with each other.

Plans were hopeful that the school would have been ready for all the students to move over winter break, but construction was not able to meet this goal. Officially, seventh and eighth graders will not move this year. Sixth graders are scheduled to move April 23 following spring break. High schoolers will be re-zoned from Weddington High next fall.

From what I can tell, everyone is very excited about the move. In today's Monroe Enquirer Journal, there is a story about how many of Weddington's coaches are making the move to Marvin Ridge because of the excitement of being able to build a new program from scratch. Seems like the administrators of both the high school and middle school are assembling a very qualified staff.

Old 04-05-2007, 09:36 AM

1,800 posts, read 5,173,132 times
The construction of the place is so impressive. I don't blame those coaches for wanting to go to the new school complex. By the looks of the fields and lights it's going to be a great place to play sports (and learn too, of course)! My sixth grader is a little apprehensive but also very excited about the move. What an honor for the sixth grade to be the first ones to officially walk in those halls! Hopefully our kids will all stay there and not have to be moved to yet another school!

Old 04-06-2007, 06:36 AM

4,097 posts, read 10,179,376 times
About the impressive staff at Marvin HS. I have heard from some of my friends in the Weddington area that they are quite upset about Marvin taking all of their best coaches and such. They are calling Marvin the "elite" school.

I don't really know if this is a prevailing thought, but I do know people are upset.

Dawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by marvinnative View Post
As Dawn mentioned, these new schools are not officially opened, yet. They both have websites that are tracking the progress. Almost daily a new announcement comes out with news of hiring of coaches, staff, etc.

Marvin Ridge High School (Staff housed at Marvin Elementary)
http://mrhs.ucps.k12.nc.us/

Marvin Ridge Middle School (Staff and 6th graders at Kensington ES)
http://mrms.ucps.k12.nc.us/

Because Kensington Elementary had the space, Marvin Ridge Middle grouped all the sixth graders there. The seventh and eighth graders are still at Weddington Middle, however, the students and teachers who will be going to Marvin Ridge were separated from the Weddington students at the beginning of this year, so the students and teachers who will move to Marvin Ridge are already familiar with each other.

Plans were hopeful that the school would have been ready for all the students to move over winter break, but construction was not able to meet this goal. Officially, seventh and eighth graders will not move this year. Sixth graders are scheduled to move April 23 following spring break. High schoolers will be re-zoned from Weddington High next fall.

From what I can tell, everyone is very excited about the move. In today's Monroe Enquirer Journal, there is a story about how many of Weddington's coaches are making the move to Marvin Ridge because of the excitement of being able to build a new program from scratch. Seems like the administrators of both the high school and middle school are assembling a very qualified staff.

Old 04-06-2007, 09:46 PM

1,891 posts, read 5,557,146 times
My son is in 6th grade and will be moving into the new school after spring break...I have to say I have been very impressed with the whole process. Keeping my fingers crossed over here

Old 04-07-2007, 10:52 AM

55 posts, read 259,261 times
just found outmy son will be attending the new marvin middle school next summer - we are moving into Lawson this summer - very excited!

Old 04-09-2007, 09:33 PM

7,930 posts, read 17,802,380 times
ok well god willing we will be going to Marvin Ridge Middle as well my son is in 6th grade now but he will be there for 7th come Aug....cant wait...

Old 04-09-2007, 09:37 PM

1,574 posts, read 4,357,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJmomof2 View Post
ok well god willing we will be going to Marvin Ridge Middle as well my son is in 6th grade now but he will be there for 7th come Aug....cant wait...
My brother's family is moving in July and I'm pretty sure my nephew (going into 7th) will be going to Marvin Middle as well. We should get them together!

Old 04-09-2007, 10:09 PM

7,930 posts, read 17,802,380 times
oh Yes Ms that would be awesome..Just let me know..oh Pm me with which development they will be buying in....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or