Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-19-2009, 12:07 PM

172 posts, read 535,567 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Megax View Post
So, management is poor?
A restaurant has seats to fill and customers to fill them.......man, if only there was a way to fix that.....I'm stumped.
but if you don't have the waitstaff to wait on them and you add more tables to said servers section, then you're putting your servers in the weeds..causing the kitchen to go in the weeds, causing everything to come crashing down around you. I was in the restaurant business for 13 years..I know how it works. I would rather wait a little longer to get decent service than to be sat right away only to get ****ty service

Old 05-19-2009, 02:54 PM

175 posts, read 412,593 times
I am in management, just not in this industry. However...in my business you staff to meet demand, or you will not last long because the other guy will take your business.

I guess I am confused...if you build it with 50 tables then would you not staff it to handle 50 tables when you know that 50 tables will be in demand? Obviously by now they should clearly know what to expect as far as customer flow.

I know that Outback used to have a theory whereby they would build units just small enough to always be packed so that a line would form. The thinking was...if people are waiting in line then it must be good. However, you didn't have empty seats. I wonder if these folks aren't trying to develop some "Mystery" and lead people to think it is better than it may be. Just a thought.

Old 05-19-2009, 03:20 PM

716 posts, read 2,157,595 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdaddyd View Post
I am in management, just not in this industry. However...in my business you staff to meet demand, or you will not last long because the other guy will take your business.

I guess I am confused...if you build it with 50 tables then would you not staff it to handle 50 tables when you know that 50 tables will be in demand? Obviously by now they should clearly know what to expect as far as customer flow.

I know that Outback used to have a theory whereby they would build units just small enough to always be packed so that a line would form. The thinking was...if people are waiting in line then it must be good. However, you didn't have empty seats. I wonder if these folks aren't trying to develop some "Mystery" and lead people to think it is better than it may be. Just a thought.
Wow, thanks for telling me that about Outback. That explains why it always has a wait (and why I NEVER go there because it always has a wait!!!)

Why would they not just hire the appropriate amount of staff? Maybe they're having trouble finding enough people to apply to work there.

Old 05-19-2009, 05:04 PM

3,115 posts, read 7,131,225 times
that's also why we never go to Outback. It's ridiculous, and totally not worth it. I can grill a steak at home that tastes better without the wait. Also no desire to try the fake diner, but keep posting your reviews!

Old 05-19-2009, 06:42 PM

172 posts, read 535,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdaddyd View Post

Oh I completely agree! from what my friend has told me..they started it with enough staff..then they're having to weed through the trash that they hired..now they're short staffed..

Old 05-19-2009, 07:41 PM

1,117 posts, read 2,807,131 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emma77 View Post
but if you don't have the waitstaff to wait on them and you add more tables to said servers section, then you're putting your servers in the weeds.
So, management is poor?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emma77 View Post
..then they're having to weed through the trash that they hired..now they're short staffed..
Confirmed.

Old 05-19-2009, 08:12 PM

264 posts, read 854,095 times
A restaurant this big will take a little time to make all the adjustments needed...from hiring the appropriate amount of wait-staff, to training them, and to getting the kitchen straightened out. They have a huge menu and it is a new concept for the area. Be patient with them. Just bc they have other established restaurants doesn't mean this one will start running squeaky clean so soon. This is a new concept for them also....

Old 05-20-2009, 05:12 AM

5,451 posts, read 6,033,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VickiT View Post
A restaurant this big will take a little time to make all the adjustments needed...from hiring the appropriate amount of wait-staff, to training them, and to getting the kitchen straightened out. They have a huge menu and it is a new concept for the area. Be patient with them. Just bc they have other established restaurants doesn't mean this one will start running squeaky clean so soon. This is a new concept for them also....
Please explain the "new concept" statement. I'm a bit fuzzy on how an establishment that serves food is a new concept. Are we talking theory here, or is there actually a new concept in serving, preparation, or delivery of the food? Possibly it's the "diner" in the name that appears to lend itself to a new concept.

Old 05-20-2009, 06:10 AM

416 posts, read 927,611 times
Couple of things...

1 - Outback has call ahead seating and To Go Ordering now, so anyone who waits in line is a sucker (yet everytime I go, there are people waiting hours to eat).

2 - As has been mentioned, its smart to wait a month or two on a new restaurant to work the flaws out (staffing, food prep, crowds). Nice to see the Diner is drawing a good amount of business. I haven't tried it yet, but like having it so close to my house. Its a good alternative to the same old restaurants I'm accustomed to now. I'll probably wait until July to try it though.

Old 05-20-2009, 09:57 AM

175 posts, read 412,593 times
Well...I guess I will try it again in a month or so (if the wifey lets me cause she was the one who was really upset!) I can understand the whole "weeding out the bad staff" issues. I guess it is not fair to judge just yet. Staffing in my industry is not as complicated I am sure. We typically hire someone who stays for years, not days....but we are hiring college graduates who intend to stay in the field for life. Not that there is ANYTHING wrong with being a waiter or waitress...been there done that, it is just not typically a field someone aspires to remain in for life.

BTW: Totally agree about Outback...highly overrated IMO. Good strategy though, because they need to make you "think" it's worth waiting for, cause it surely is not!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte