U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-08-2009, 01:09 PM

8,231 posts, read 11,580,563 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianH1970 View Post
The government just passed legislation on this. Where do you get the idea that this has nothing to do with government?

You're one of the ones that unless it directly affects you you're okay letting the government have it's way with telling a business owner what to do. I'm not. Nobody forces anybody to patronize a place that allows smoking, nor is anybody forcing someone to work in such a place.

For the record:

No, I do not support it.
Non smoker.
Transplant from Jersey.
Agree

Old 05-08-2009, 01:09 PM

27 posts, read 71,239 times
1. I do not support it. Its a free country.
2. I am a smoker...who smokes outside.
3. Transplant. Moved here from Colorado where there IS a smoking ban. It did not bother me one bit to have to go outside. Business owners should step up and take the hit if they do not want smokers inside.

Old 05-08-2009, 01:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the 7 oh 4 View Post
So you are saying us non-smokers should go out of our way for smokers and breath in that nasty smoke. It is much easier for smokers to just step outside.

Has NOTHING to do with Govt....but I persomally want to breath healthy air!

I am NOT against smoking...just smoking in confined spaces.

It has everything to do with government.

But those who do smoke should have a right taken away because you don't want to be bothered? Don't think so...

The bottom line here, is you are asking the government to take a right away from a group of individuals. Ask yourself, do YOU want the government treading on your rights on something that you partake in?
Bet not.

Old 05-08-2009, 01:16 PM

35,885 posts, read 67,009,663 times
1. Do not support it. Feel a ban is appropriate in public buildings, hospitals, gov't offices, etc but restaurants and bars should have the right to go smoke free or have a smoking section; owner should decide (his revenue, after all)
2. Former smoker, like to smoke cigs or cigars when socializing w/ a cocktail :-)
3. Native, but have lived elsewhere
4. No one in my family has ever smoked

Old 05-08-2009, 01:18 PM

6,772 posts, read 11,866,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thefinalsay View Post
I think what the poster is saying is that private businesses don't belong to non smokers, it belongs to the businessman/woman.

Exactly. It doesn't belong to smokers OR non-smokers.

It's all well and good when the Govt starts making decisions for business owners that you agree w/, but what about when it's something you DON'T? This is how these things start.

The less govt interference, the better, imho.

The thing is you don't really have a RIGHT to breathe that clean air in someone elses place of business, same as smokers don't have a RIGHT to fill your lungs w/ their secondhand smoke.The assumption that each person has a "right" to enter a privately-owned business is false, no individual has a legal right to enter and occupy a privately-owned place of business.

Owners of bakeries, bars, bowling alleys, bistros and barbershops reserve the right to deny service to ANYONE. Entering a business and transacting with the business owner depends on the approval of the property/business owner as well as the customer. See wat I'm saying?

They just keep chipping away at the Constitution, these Libs. LOL.

Old 05-08-2009, 01:21 PM

1,851 posts, read 1,873,194 times
I do NOT support it.

I am a smoker.

Transplant from New Jersey.

The government needs to get their mitts off of our lives.

Old 05-08-2009, 01:27 PM

1,242 posts, read 3,662,202 times
Default Get rid of the smoke!

1) YES 100% support it
2) non smoker
3) transplant...from Philly

I don't really get the whole smoking thing. It is so harmful to everyone. I think it should be banned across the country. I hate the smoke in the bars and resturants down here. It has been banned for so long back in different areas of the NE that we didn't even think about it when we moved here. I was shocked to see people still smoke so much knowing how bad it is.

Old 05-08-2009, 01:28 PM

4,280 posts, read 10,033,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sophialee View Post
They just keep chipping away at the Constitution
Unfortunately, no one in Washington has even read it.

Old 05-08-2009, 01:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJPost32 View Post
1) YES 100% support it
2) non smoker

I don't really get the whole smoking thing. It is so harmful to everyone. I think it should be banned across the country. I hate the smoke in the bars and resturants down here. It has been banned for so long back in different areas of the NE that we didn't even think about it when we moved here. I was shocked to see people still smoke so much knowing how bad it is.

No worse the alcohol.

But again, do YOU want your rights treaded upon? Bet not.

THAT is the issue here.

Old 05-08-2009, 01:32 PM

6,772 posts, read 11,866,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJPost32 View Post
1) YES 100% support it
2) non smoker

Then they should make it illegal. That will never happen tho because they make too much money off the taxes. It's disgustingly hypocritical at least, unconstitutional at best.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte