U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-08-2009, 02:08 PM

2,147 posts, read 3,659,260 times

Advertisements

I do not support ban.
I smoke 2-3 cigars a week
OH native
Government controlling too much of our lives...

Old 05-08-2009, 02:13 PM

35,885 posts, read 67,009,663 times
VIN: totally get your concerns about health . . . but once again. . . we all have choices. Those choices include where to go out to eat or what bar to frequent.

It is not like there is only one restaurant in this city.

If the restaurant owner wants it to be non-smoking - he owns the business! He should have that right! Same if he decides he wants to have a smoking section.

I find it so interesting that people get all torn up about second hand smoke in restaurants and bars. Is there some mandate someone passed that says YOU MUST GO OUT TO EAT? I never have understood this line of thinking! The atmosphere in a restaurant is often as important to me as the food itself. If I don't like the atmosphere (b/c it includes smokers) . . . why would I patronize that restaurant?

I hear these stories about people getting so upset b/c they just ate in a restaurant that has a smoking section and all I can think is . . . why? Why would you do that? Why would you spend your money in a restaurant that did not provide you with the environment you prefer?

Old 05-08-2009, 02:13 PM

4,222 posts, read 6,710,137 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
More Nanny State telling everyone how to live their lives.

It is simple. If I don't like being around smoke in a restaurant, I can choose one that is smoke-free. If the owner wants to allow smoking, his/her business! I can choose to patronize or not patronize.

What gets me is - I know people who smoke pot, yet get all up in arms about smoke in restaurants and bars. What is THAT all about?
When I smoked, smoke in closed places really bothered me. I would go home and gag for air. I quit smoking 28 years ago when my wife and I started going out. As far as the pot smoking. It is not done inside public places legally. It is done in privacy away from the public eye and the smoke doesn't affect others (they tell me) since non-smokers aren't exposed. That is why I support the legalization of pot. We can all go out in the field and get stoned.

Old 05-08-2009, 02:15 PM

1,852 posts, read 4,666,295 times
1. Yes I support it
2. I do not smoke, other than a cigar now and then outside
3. Transplant

Here is why I support it. 3 main reasons.

1. It gives me more choices to go, since I prefer non-smoking.
2. It allows business to compete on a more even level withouth worrying about their neighbor allowing smoking and losing business. I understand thats a business choice, but it's better to do it as a state than cities, so the city doesn't lose business.
3. Argue against it if you want, but smoking is harmful to you and those around you. Healthcare costs are increasing and sadly to say the folks without insurance tend to smoke more. Smoking will eventually go away (I think) or be very burdensome to smoke, ie. high taxes, restrictions, etc.

People say this is the first step of the gov restricting more things and control over people, such as New Yorks Trans Fat ban, which I think is a joke, however, it flows with healthcare costs expenses, but not with the harmful to others. The gov't has always regulated what can and cannot be done in public. Public swearing, nudity, drunk in PUBLIC (think Ron White and Laugh), dress, etc.

So for me it works, I know it doesn't for others.

807 posts, read 2,041,880 times
I didn't support it when they past it up north and still wouldn't support a ban but, I would have to admit that it made going out more enjoyable, especially w/ the kids. I'm a reformed smoker and still like to light one up now and then. I don't mind stepping outside, it's the polite thing to do. Having a smoking section in a resturant is like having a peeing section in a pool.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vindaloo View Post
When I smoked, smoke in closed places really bothered me. I would go home and gag for air. I quit smoking 28 years ago when my wife and I started going out. As far as the pot smoking. It is not done inside public places legally. It is done in privacy away from the public eye and the smoke doesn't affect others (they tell me) since non-smokers aren't exposed. That is why I support the legalization of pot. We can all go out in the field and get stoned.
ROFL! I gotcha, VIN.

5,975 posts, read 17,556,376 times
1. Nope. Never will.
2. Ex-smoker
3. Transplant - Ex-out of US, Ex-CA, Ex-CT

Old 05-08-2009, 02:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yrgm View Post
i didn't support it when they past it up north and still wouldn't support a ban but, i would have to admit that it made going out more enjoyable, especially w/ the kids. I'm a reformed smoker and still like to light one up now and then. I don't mind stepping outside, it's the polite thing to do. having a smoking section in a resturant is like having a peeing section in a pool.
Never thought of it that way, but makes sense to me, LOL.

My feeling is still that it should be up to the owner of the business. If he/she loses revenue b/c of the decision they make (non-smoking vs. smoking) . . . it IS their business.

Old 05-08-2009, 02:18 PM

3,115 posts, read 6,128,507 times
1. Yes. Absolutely, without a doubt.
2. Non smoker
3. transplant - from the beach

It will pass. I have zero worries. I think it is absolutely disgusting to have to breathe someone else's smoke in public. I would love to be able to go to restaurants that we don't currently go to b/c of smoke, or someday even a bar!

Old 05-08-2009, 02:24 PM

6,772 posts, read 11,866,602 times
The thing people are not getting is this is much bigger than, "Oh I don't like to breathe in cigarette smoke, so yes I support the smoking ban". It's about Constitutional rights and people being able to make their own decisions about the businesses they pay taxes on and own.

There are solutions for those who favor genuine action on public health. Insist on a constitutional solution, one genuinely supportive of public health....ban the manufacture and sale of cigarettes. I wouldn't hold my breath on that one tho.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte