Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-09-2009, 10:38 AM
cfr

152 posts, read 372,549 times

Advertisements

There is not one state or race of people that has a monopoly on A_ _ Holes.
Unfortunately, they are everywhere.

Old 05-09-2009, 10:40 AM

1,117 posts, read 2,797,325 times
Is that circus music I hear?

Old 05-09-2009, 11:29 AM

314 posts, read 1,132,909 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eve11706 View Post
I'm not saying life is better in NY but people do get away with a lot. If speed limit is 55 you will not get pulled over if you go 75. That's the difference. In my experience I driving in NC highway speed is 70 I was going 85 saw the cop miles a ways in front of me I slowed down but still got pulled over. Again, I'm not complaining but yes LI highway if you slow down before the cop sees you I have not gotten a ticket ever. Oh and it's easier to dismiss a court case in NY for traffic violations in NY because some of the cops don't have the time to make it to court for the court date so the case is dropped. It's not like that here. Which is ok! The law of the land is different.
If you can see the cop, it's too late.

Old 05-09-2009, 12:18 PM

4,222 posts, read 7,855,774 times
Quote:
I just want to relate my experience since my move to NC. It's been a year now and I think it's important that others from other states who move here hear this story...

Short Version:
Hubby wrote a check to gas station. (Surprise to us. We never knew a gas station would receive a check.) This was when gas prices $4.00 p/gallon. Well, checked bounced and delayed/ignored/forgot to pay bill. Months roll by ignoring notices regarding this thinking bank will take care of it. Letter from the county to go to court. Thinking he'll pay it (never did) Knock on the door it's a police officer. It's 6:45 am. I thought it was a joke. I asked to see his ID and the police officer just showed me his uniform. OK?! Hubby gets arrested for warrant "failure to appear to court for a bounce check." Where I'm from you just keep getting billed. You will never get a knock on your door for a bounce check or nonetheless get arrested.

Part two of poor hubby's experience:
Hubby gets arrested again! LOL. I tell him what did you do this time. Well, he went to court to show our tags were no longer expired but didn't bring his license. He got a ticket for expired tags and no license. They drop the charge of expired tags but had to return to court for his license. He FORGOT and never went back. Knock on our day again. This time it's 7:15 am. Hubby gets arrested for failure to appear in court. But he did officer! Well, he needed to go back for his license and never did. So now he has a new court date. Had to pay BOND. Which I was not familiared with. Had to research what the heck is a BOND? How do I get my money back? Is it better to get a bondsmen or pay the bond at the court?

Anyhow the lesson here:
DON'T MISS ANY OF YOUR COURT DATES HERE! THEY WILL ARREST YOU! Even if it's minut they will knock on your door. It's embarressing and humbling experience.

I've also learned after sharing this story with co-workers that if you pay a bond and the person you paid the bond for doesn't go to court. The payee will get arrested! So if my hubby FORGETS to miss his court date I will get arrrested. I found this interesting.

We're from NY. Hubby has gotten plenty of stupid tickets because he's ________. (Numerous things you can put in that blank) Tickets for no seatbelt. Tickets for talking on his cell. Tickets for parking meter expired! So yes I think now he has finally learned his lesson since his move here to NC. The law is different here. Maybe because there's less people that they have the time to deal with arresting people for petty charges. The cops in NY DO NOT COME KNOCKING on your door for a warrant as such. (They only catch you during a traffic violation and then you go to court. Which can take years.)

So to my dear folks moving here or who have moved here. I'll repeat DON'T MISS YOUR COURTDATES. And make sure if you pay bond for your dear loved one that they go to court.

Oh by the way I've also learned that if you file a charge on someone for hitting you and decide not to press charges. The county has the right to charge you for falseiphying (spelling) charges and will arrest you! If you fail to appear in court they don't drop the charges they will arrest you!
Better still, be responsible people and avoid getting into jams. Hopefully people that move here won't screw up and have police banging on their doors.

Old 05-09-2009, 12:28 PM

284 posts, read 603,603 times
Quote:
If speed limit is 55 you will not get pulled over if you go 75. That's the difference.
Eve, you seem like a nice enough person based on this post, but I can tell you from experience that yes, you DO get pulled over in NY for going 75 in a 55. In fact, you can get pulled and ticketed for going 68 in a 55 right outside NYC. I've lived in many states and have not noticed a difference in one versus the other regarding what one can "get away with" - whether it's traffic or something more serious.

Old 05-09-2009, 12:33 PM

4,222 posts, read 7,855,774 times
Quote:
REAL QUICKLY: Yes, this has taught my hubby to be more responsible. Not that I need to get personal. We do have seperate accounts etc. because of his lack responsibility. FYI-He doesn't use checks anymore because he's bad at being responsible in balancing.

I'm not saying life is better in NY but people do get away with a lot. If speed limit is 55 you will not get pulled over if you go 75. That's the difference. In my experience I driving in NC highway speed is 70 I was going 85 saw the cop miles a ways in front of me I slowed down but still got pulled over. Again, I'm not complaining but yes LI highway if you slow down before the cop sees you I have not gotten a ticket ever. Oh and it's easier to dismiss a court case in NY for traffic violations in NY because some of the cops don't have the time to make it to court for the court date so the case is dropped. It's not like that here. Which is ok! The law of the land is different.

Btw he did pay the fine for $80 gas which ended up costing him $275. I don't agree with his behavior but I'm sure there's people out there who are like him and I thought it would be nice to let others like him know!

Reading quickly some of the people post remind me of my friend who is just like the rest of you law abiding citizens. She was like when is hubby gonna learned. Blah blah. Yes, I know he was irresponsible been dealing with him for years. But realize some aren't perfect citizens and I just wanted to post for those who are not like you.

First, did you ever think that the reason that you got a ticket after slowing down was because you were clocked by radar before decelerating. A radar can clock you at a distance of over a mile.

I can't believe that the LI police are as screwed up as you indicate. They're too busy to show up in court. Sounds like irresponsibility is an epidemic where you come from.

By the way, make sure that you have tie down straps for your trailer or you will be cited for that.

Old 05-09-2009, 12:36 PM

16,294 posts, read 28,447,403 times
Quote:
I just want to relate my experience since my move to NC. It's been a year now and I think it's important that others from other states who move here hear this story...
A saga of a total lack of personal responsibility.

This is a warning, a warning that those that refuse to take personal responsibility to pay money owed, to obey the laws and the courts. It really outrages me that your husbands total disregard for the law also costs all taxpayers of this state for all the time he has wasted for law enforcement and courts.

Moral: Personal responsibility is the responsible ONLY of the person, but when the obviously can't/won't behave as an adult, then there are consequences.

Old 05-09-2009, 02:34 PM

1,877 posts, read 4,845,818 times
Out of sheer morbid curiousity, I thought I'd look up the laws in regards to "uttering", in the great state of NY. I found:

Civil penalty: New York. Face value of check, plus two times amount of check up to $750.

Criminal law: New York. Up to three months in jail, or up to $500, or up to double the amount of the drawer's gain from the commission of the offense.

Seems to me that there is potential criminal ramifications to writing bad checks- even in NY. I would guess your DH got them taken care of before it came to that.

In regards to the arrest for failure to appear, and that not being how it is in NY,I call Bravo Sierra (Thanks, Brian!). I have many friends who are (or were) LE in NYS. There are officers who are tasked solely with apprehending people for failure to appear. Again, your DH not being caught is probably nothing more than pure luck. Just sayin...

Old 05-09-2009, 03:42 PM

14,688 posts, read 26,524,783 times
Quote:

Short Version:
Hubby wrote a check to gas station. (Surprise to us. We never knew a gas station would receive a check.) This was when gas prices $4.00 p/gallon. Well, checked bounced and delayed/ignored/forgot to pay bill. Months roll by ignoring notices regarding this thinking bank will take care of it. Letter from the county to go to court. Thinking he'll pay it (never did) Knock on the door it's a police officer. It's 6:45 am. I thought it was a joke. I asked to see his ID and the police officer just showed me his uniform. OK?! Hubby gets arrested for warrant "failure to appear to court for a bounce check." Where I'm from you just keep getting billed. You will never get a knock on your door for a bounce check or nonetheless get arrested.

Part two of poor hubby's experience:
Hubby gets arrested again! LOL. I tell him what did you do this time. Well, he went to court to show our tags were no longer expired but didn't bring his license. He got a ticket for expired tags and no license. They drop the charge of expired tags but had to return to court for his license. He FORGOT and never went back. Knock on our day again. This time it's 7:15 am. Hubby gets arrested for failure to appear in court. But he did officer! Well, he needed to go back for his license and never did. So now he has a new court date. Had to pay BOND. Which I was not familiared with. Had to research what the heck is a BOND? How do I get my money back? Is it better to get a bondsmen or pay the bond at the court?

Anyhow the lesson here:
DON'T MISS ANY OF YOUR COURT DATES HERE! THEY WILL ARREST YOU! Even if it's minut they will knock on your door. It's embarressing and humbling experience.

I've also learned after sharing this story with co-workers that if you pay a bond and the person you paid the bond for doesn't go to court. The payee will get arrested! So if my hubby FORGETS to miss his court date I will get arrrested. I found this interesting.

We're from NY. Hubby has gotten plenty of stupid tickets because he's ________. (Numerous things you can put in that blank) Tickets for no seatbelt. Tickets for talking on his cell. Tickets for parking meter expired! So yes I think now he has finally learned his lesson since his move here to NC. The law is different here. Maybe because there's less people that they have the time to deal with arresting people for petty charges. The cops in NY DO NOT COME KNOCKING on your door for a warrant as such. (They only catch you during a traffic violation and then you go to court. Which can take years.)

So to my dear folks moving here or who have moved here. I'll repeat DON'T MISS YOUR COURTDATES. And make sure if you pay bond for your dear loved one that they go to court.

Oh by the way I've also learned that if you file a charge on someone for hitting you and decide not to press charges. The county has the right to charge you for falseiphying (spelling) charges and will arrest you! If you fail to appear in court they don't drop the charges they will arrest you!
Oohh, your "poor" hubby. He wrote a bad check and had to pay the consequences. Sounds like you would be better off going back to NY where you can get away with his criminal behavior. We would be, too.

Old 05-09-2009, 04:15 PM

7,126 posts, read 11,650,012 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bs13690 View Post
Oohh, your "poor" hubby. He wrote a bad check and had to pay the consequences. Sounds like you would be better off going back to NY where you can get away with his criminal behavior. We would be, too.
Nope she left and doesn't have an invite back! She's yours' buddy.
Besides you don't "get away with that in NY" or any other state that I know of.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte