Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-09-2009, 08:57 AM

35,879 posts, read 77,478,949 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Westchestergal View Post
I apologize for sounding judgemental but I think you should spend time talking to hubby about obeying the law instead of warning transplants because I honestly do not think MOST of us need the warning.
I agree with you - the friends I have made who are newcomers are responsible people and want to be good members of the communities they have moved into.

However (and this is sad) there are people I have run into - or who are neighbors of my friends/family - who really have moved here thinking that somehow they are gonna get a free ride and that they can "get away" with ignoring regs in their HOA, speeding tickets, vaccinations for school attendance, etc. I have a feeling those people were as irresponsible in their previous states as they are here. Some of it may be an ingrained "entitlement" attitude . . . some may be immaturity . . . some may be a misunderstanding that people are held accountable here.

Old 05-09-2009, 09:06 AM

206 posts, read 514,446 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
Agree! Like you, I have been transfixed by some of those episodes and what people felt free to do, LOL!

What concerns me is the OP said that where she came from, they didn't respond to such things as requests for payment and summons, etc. So in this case, looks to me like she brought her bad habits w/ her. I find it amazing that any community in the USA would uphold this type of misbehavior, especially when it involves legitimately owning money to a business.
Ani, I doubt that this behavior is by any means representative of any community. I had a business in NY that took payment primarily by checks and after TEN years in business, we only received handful of bad checks (less that 8) out of thousands. Only twice did I have to take someone to court, one paid and one skipped town and relocated to Georgia. I want to think that most New Yorkers do abide by the law and pay money they owe a business.

Old 05-09-2009, 09:26 AM

795 posts, read 4,537,567 times
i am sorry. i cannot stop laughing. no, no, wait. i'm not sorry AT ALL. what in god's name was he (were the two of you) thinking?

and, another thing, please don't blame our state or law enforcement as being too strict or stringent...the only person at fault anywhere in this story was your husband. he didn't even ATTEMPT to try to do the right thing.

Old 05-09-2009, 09:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Westchestergal View Post
Ani, I doubt that this behavior is by any means representative of any community. I had a business in NY that took payment primarily by checks and after TEN years in business, we only received handful of bad checks (less that 8) out of thousands. Only twice did I have to take someone to court, one paid and one skipped town and relocated to Georgia. I want to think that most New Yorkers do abide by the law and pay money they owe a business.
I think you hit the nail on the head w/ your implication here . . . there is always gonna be a segment of the population in any community, anywhere, who are going to feel entitled to misbehave, but they are not the average citizen and they do not represent their communities.

Good point.

Old 05-09-2009, 09:39 AM

60 posts, read 161,508 times
Quote:
Comfort: Great story! Yeah, people are responsible for their actions and in this state, you will be held responsible.

I bet the OP is from Long Island. I am sorry if that offends others from Long Island, but it is the weirdest thing . . . almost every post we have on this forum from people who are upset about "how things are" and ask weird questions about how to get out of some regulation, beat a speeding ticket, "get away with something" (or get some kind of free or reduced service) end up being from Long Island. Of course, I have a wonderful friend from LI who is one of the finest, most upstanding citizens I know - and who has been a real asset to her community. But even she says she is stunned at the attitude she finds that so many have who are from LI.

Here's the scoop for anyone thinking about moving here "so your unemployment check f/ NY will go further" or because you think things are "cheaper" here and we all are gonna put up w/ your misbehavior . . . YOU ARE WRONG. You move here - you better be a responsible person b/c the rest of us, who DO follow the rules, are gonna make sure you either learn to comply or you suffer the consequences.

REAL QUICKLY: Yes, this has taught my hubby to be more responsible. Not that I need to get personal. We do have seperate accounts etc. because of his lack responsibility. FYI-He doesn't use checks anymore because he's bad at being responsible in balancing.

I wasn't complaining I just wanted to let others know (TRANSPLANTS especially LI, NY transplants that the law is different here.) I did mention that this was a humbling experience.

I'm not saying life is better in NY but people do get away with a lot. If speed limit is 55 you will not get pulled over if you go 75. That's the difference. In my experience I driving in NC highway speed is 70 I was going 85 saw the cop miles a ways in front of me I slowed down but still got pulled over. Again, I'm not complaining but yes LI highway if you slow down before the cop sees you I have not gotten a ticket ever. Oh and it's easier to dismiss a court case in NY for traffic violations in NY because some of the cops don't have the time to make it to court for the court date so the case is dropped. It's not like that here. Which is ok! The law of the land is different.

Btw he did pay the fine for $80 gas which ended up costing him $275. I don't agree with his behavior but I'm sure there's people out there who are like him and I thought it would be nice to let others like him know!

Reading quickly some of the people post remind me of my friend who is just like the rest of you law abiding citizens. She was like when is hubby gonna learned. Blah blah. Yes, I know he was irresponsible been dealing with him for years. But realize some aren't perfect citizens and I just wanted to post for those who are not like you.

Old 05-09-2009, 09:45 AM

60 posts, read 161,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by barndog View Post
i am sorry. i cannot stop laughing. no, no, wait. i'm not sorry AT ALL. what in god's name was he (were the two of you) thinking?

and, another thing, please don't blame our state or law enforcement as being too strict or stringent...the only person at fault anywhere in this story was your husband. he didn't even ATTEMPT to try to do the right thing.
  1. I'm not blaming the state!
  2. Hubby's is at fault!
  3. Yes, this is a funny story. I wouldn't have shared it if it wasn't.
Sorry if I offended the ones that abide by the law.
  1. Hubby no longer writes check. He never does so I was surprised that he did especially for gas. That was new to me.
  2. Hubby will go to all court dates!
  3. Lesson learned

Old 05-09-2009, 09:57 AM

4,280 posts, read 11,314,433 times
Quote:
Hee Hee. I have the name of a good bail bondsman. You can use your "one phone call" to see if he can help you get out of jail.
jail, schmail.

It is a beautiful day and I have the top down.

Going to do some shopping and pfft, no one will ever realize the checks I write today are from an old account.
It's nice and sunny, who cares?

Old 05-09-2009, 10:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mullman View Post
jail, schmail.

It is a beautiful day and I have the top down.

Going to do some shopping and pfft, no one will ever realize the checks I write today are from an old account.
It's nice and sunny, who cares?
Maybe you will qualify for a bail out . . .

Old 05-09-2009, 10:30 AM

876 posts, read 3,792,989 times
don't have time to read every reply, but to the OP... Welcome to America. Obey the laws, have no worries.

Old 05-09-2009, 10:32 AM
cfr

152 posts, read 373,834 times
hi are you kidding me!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte