U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-12-2009, 01:40 PM

4,714 posts, read 8,460,285 times

Advertisements

having worked in Seattle, I can tell you that both Seattle and Charlotte handle a snowfall in pretty much the same way.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-12-2009, 02:01 PM

4,222 posts, read 6,711,944 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KGreene View Post
Just looking for anyone who has gone to Charlotte from Seattle. Considering a move and would like to hear comparisons from someone who knows the Seattle area. And I mean someone who really knows Downtown Seattle culture as that is where we currently reside. THANKS!
To be honest, most people that I have met from Seattle really love it here. If you are a center city dweller, I am sure that you understand that Charlotte is quite a bit smaller than Seattle. Charlotte is really growing like crazy and althought you won't find all the ammenities that are available in Seattle, they are coming. It is kind of exciting being part of the reformation and growth of the city. Charlotte is a city of people from everywhere. You will always find people from where you came. There are many plusses to living in Charlotte including its location. It is close to the mountains and ocean and a day's drive to many great places including Savannah, Charleston, Atlanta, Nashville, Asheville, Virginia Beach, D.C., Baltimore, Philadelphia, and many others.

Old 05-12-2009, 02:50 PM

38 posts, read 89,360 times
Vindaloo, This excites me! You say I wont find all the ammenities.... I have already researched the major ones:

Nordstrom- Check!
Trader Joes- Check!
Costco- Check!
Target- check!

I'm liking Charlotte already!

Old 05-12-2009, 03:21 PM

4,222 posts, read 6,711,944 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KGreene View Post
Vindaloo, This excites me! You say I wont find all the ammenities.... I have already researched the major ones:

Nordstrom- Check!
Trader Joes- Check!
Costco- Check!
Target- check!

I'm liking Charlotte already!
If you compare Charlotte with Seattle, we are not close, but we will be there in the near future. It will be different and sounds like you are really smart and realize this. It is always great to have people from other places that get involved in the arts and cultural activities. Remember that Charlotte is in an economic meltdown at present, but we will recover as we always have. I think you will be pleased with the cost of living here. Good luck if you decide to move.

P.S. And Seattle's own Starbucks are all over the place.

Old 05-12-2009, 05:57 PM

38 posts, read 89,360 times
Of course! How could I forget Starbucks!? Check!

Does anyone have pictures or know of a spot where I could look at pictures of cute little neighborhood spots with cafe's, shops, etc...

Old 05-12-2009, 06:39 PM

1,547 posts, read 2,170,277 times
Yes, and most will not go back even if the pay doubled.
Enjoy the Carolinas.

Old 05-08-2018, 12:47 PM

212 posts, read 136,301 times
Default I'm looking at the Ft. Mill area/Charlotte

Hi. I live in Gig Harbor, WA. It's beautiful here, but I want to be closer to family eventually.
I know WA is one of the most beautiful areas but the cloudy rainy days really wear on you as well as other things in this area.
Anyone living in NC/SC, please let me know your thoughts about living there.

Old 05-08-2018, 01:14 PM

92 posts, read 252,883 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifexponential View Post
Hi. I live in Gig Harbor, WA. It's beautiful here, but I want to be closer to family eventually.
I know WA is one of the most beautiful areas but the cloudy rainy days really wear on you as well as other things in this area.
Anyone living in NC/SC, please let me know your thoughts about living there.
Been in the same boat!
We lived in Seattle for about a year and LA for about the same and actually my daughter was born in Auburn , been here for 10 years and zero regrets especially now, Charlotte has become a real biggish city with all lot more to offer than, say 5 years ago!

Old 05-08-2018, 02:29 PM

655 posts, read 516,648 times
Not sure how to compare to WA as I've never been there, but Charlotte is hot and muggy from late May - late August. Though not as bad as some areas of the country.

For the other 8-9 months, it's great weather. Might get one or two 1-2" snow "storms" a year...so you get to see the white without all the hassle. Fall and spring weather is great, which is why many houses in the area have screened porches.

We came from the northeast and are so much happier with the mild winters.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or