U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-09-2009, 02:33 PM

286 posts, read 943,046 times

Advertisements

My wife and I just had lunch at Situl Indian Restaurant behind Park Rd Shopping Center and were pleasantly surprised at the great, authentic food they had. As soon as we entered the place we noticed the aroma of Indian spices. I was sad however to see that we were the only ones in the place. So I wanted to let everyone know about our great experience and the great food we had there. Don't be fooled by the looks of the place. The food is excellent!!!

I'm not affiliated with them; I'm not even India. = )
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-10-2009, 10:44 AM

852 posts, read 2,214,819 times
We used to go here a lot. I loved it. They used to own an Indian supermarket on Monroe Road and made the samosas and other pastries fresh and they closed it when they open Situl. Thanks for reminding me and I think we may go there this week.

Old 05-10-2009, 12:22 PM

830 posts, read 1,315,208 times
Agree - think Situl and Saffron (in Ayrsley) are the 2 best Indian restaurants in Charlotte. Usually very empty, at least on weeknights. Hopefully they survive, as the food is excellent.

Old 05-10-2009, 02:15 PM

4,222 posts, read 6,710,745 times
Sangums in Cornelius is really good and always has lots of customers. They also have a very good buffet (better than the average Indian restaurant). I haven't eaten at Situl or Saffron but have eaten at one on South Boulevard that was very good. I also believe that the one on INdependence and Sharon Amity was good. The only Indian restaurant that I remember being really bad in Charlotte was one that used to be on Monroe Road near Lupies. It was really bad. Hope Saffron and Situl are doing well enough to stay open. But, like many specialty restaurants, they do most of their business on weekends. My rule of thumb with Indian restaurants is to eat where the Pakistanis eat. They are Moslems and eat meat. Many Indians are Hindi and are vegetarians.

Old 05-10-2009, 03:15 PM

2,115 posts, read 6,440,708 times
Love Indian cuisine - adding these recommendations to my list. Thanks!

Old 05-10-2009, 03:27 PM

35,885 posts, read 67,016,830 times
Me, too - adding your recommendation to my list of "must try out" restaurants!

Thanks for spreading the word. I am really concerned that a lot of restaurants are having a very tough time right now.

Old 05-10-2009, 04:39 PM

Indeed, lots of specials and coupons out there...buy 1, get one free....buy 1, get one 50% off, etc. We've actually used the Entertainment coupons as a good excuse to try out a bunch of new places - it's how we found Situl.

Trying to support the local restaurants as much as we can these days.

Old 05-10-2009, 06:11 PM

2,193 posts, read 4,535,541 times
Hmm, I have to disagree, I didn't like Situl. We went once and never went back. Sorry!
But that was the buffet, maybe their entrees are better.

I personally think out of all of Charlotte, Bombay Cuisine in the UC area is the best (for buffets).

There's a Pakistani restaurant called Royal Pakistan (the restaurant is attached to the grocery store), their food is really good. For some reason we don't like the meat dishes at Indian restaurants. Their expertise is more for veggie dishes.

But if you want good meat dishes Pakistani restaurants are the way to go. And if you want good veggie dishes Indian restaurants are the way to go.

Old 05-10-2009, 07:12 PM

I never judge a restaurant by its buffet. Among other things, the lamb rogan josh at Situl is terrific (and can be really spicy, if you want it)

Old 05-10-2009, 07:16 PM

852 posts, read 2,214,819 times
My other favourite Indian is Maharani on Kings Drive.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte