U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-09-2009, 07:50 PM

616 posts, read 1,565,407 times

Advertisements

DH and I just returned from dinner at Sultan Kabob House, on 49 (S Tryon) near Westinghouse. Nothing fancy but darned good food.

We had felafel sandwich, baba ghanouj (perfectly smoky and creamy), cucumber/yogurt salad (oh how I wish mine were this good), and mixed kabob grill. We shared, so we tasted everything.

The felafel sandwich was super - tahini nice and creamy but not too thick or overpowering. The pitas were quite thin so I didn't feel like I was just eating hunks of bread. The chopped salad in the felafel sandwich was a nice touch - I think it was tomato, onion, parsley, lemon, a little green pepper, olive oil. The felafels themselves were well done, not too hard on the outside and just right on the inside. Mmmmmmm.

DH had the mixed kabob grill. It was served with a goodly amount of the chopped salad, rice, and a beautiful garlic sauce for dipping. The chicken was very tender and flavorful, as was the beef. The ground lamb was spiced with something I didn't recognize but it was good!

We thought we might have leftovers, silly of us. It was excellent and not a drop was left on our plates. Prices seemed reasonable. Like I said, it's not fancy or atmospheric, but if you've a hankering for middle eastern you might want to give them a try. They're open from 10 am - 9 pm every day. Located in a tiny strip mall on S Tryon, just south of the intersection of Westinghouse and S. tryon. I think the strip mall was named Socrates Square. Poetic.

Ahhhh, time to digest!!! and HAPPY MOTHER'S DAY!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-09-2009, 08:37 PM

2,193 posts, read 4,534,329 times
Ooh I love middle eastern food. I had no idea there was on that side of town. I live so close to there too!! Thanks!

Old 05-09-2009, 08:39 PM

Omg I just saw their website and they have hookahs!!! YAY. I used to have to go all the way on the other side of town when I needed my hookah fix!

Old 05-10-2009, 07:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheenie2000 View Post
Omg I just saw their website and they have hookahs!!! YAY. I used to have to go all the way on the other side of town when I needed my hookah fix!
Heh! I never figured you for a hookah gal.

We'll have to go get felafel and mougadarah sometime.

I am still on a garlic and tahini high.

Old 05-10-2009, 07:11 AM

8,723 posts, read 7,922,123 times
I love falafel! I tried to make some a few weeks ago, but they were too sticky/wet inside. I think the mixture was too wet to begin with before I fried them. They tasted good, the texture was just off.

Maybe I could talk to the folks at Sultan and get some tips!

Old 05-10-2009, 10:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hooligan View Post
I love falafel! I tried to make some a few weeks ago, but they were too sticky/wet inside. I think the mixture was too wet to begin with before I fried them. They tasted good, the texture was just off.

Maybe I could talk to the folks at Sultan and get some tips!
They've only been here for 2 months, and the place was sort of empty. I hope they get enough business to stick around. Maybe you could order extra felafel to go with their advice?

Old 05-11-2009, 08:43 AM

Seems a sound idea to me, abcornwell.

Old 05-13-2009, 01:49 PM

628 posts, read 1,854,579 times
Alright...the wife and I love middle eastern food so, after seeing this thread we figured we check it out.

As soon as I walked in the door it reminded me of some of the middle eastern restaurants in Brooklyn. It wasn't a fancy place, jeans and a t-shirt are fine. It is in a strip mall and it is easily passed if you're not looking for it.
Unfortunately, it was not crowded.

We sat down and started looking at the menu...I will tell you..I was in heaven. Have not seen such an authentic middle eastern menu down here. We ordered, falaffel, cacik (cucumber yogurt), chicken adana, and some tabbouleh.

Our food started to hit the table and it was AMAZING!!!! The cacik was fresh and flavorful; the falaffels were perfectly cooked, had a great color, the tahini on top was also delicious. The tabbouleh was perfectly seasoned and very tasty. All the portions were really good sized.

Our main courses came out and they too were great. The chicken adana (finely chopped chicken with middle eastern spices skewered and roasted over a flame) were just like some of the places I frequented in Brooklyn. My wife's fish kabobs were made of talapia...I did not try them but she said they were great and they looked good.

After we ate, I was speaking to the people there and it turns out they just moved here and opened up about 2 months ago. We continued talking and It turns out....they owned a very successful restaurant in Bay Ridge Brooklyn (my hometown). I knew I tasted that food before!

The total bill was less than $30.00 which is a great value.

This restaurant was BY FAR THE BEST MIDDLE EASTERN FOOD I'VE HAD IN CHARLOTTE!! I felt like I was in NYC again. If you like authentic middle eastern food in a casual atmosphere...check this place out. I now have a new favorite restaurant in Charlotte....Thanks for the recommendation.

Sultan Kabob House (http://www.sultankabobhouse.com - broken link)

Old 05-13-2009, 01:55 PM

Another really good place is Cedar's. Their food is excellent. They are on Central Ave in the east part of Charlotte. There is a middle eastern grocery store attached to it. It's not a nice place to sit and eat (there's some seating next to the grocery store); I ususally take the food out and bring it home.

I can't wait to try this place to see if it compares. Hopefully it does since it's closer to my home!

Old 05-13-2009, 01:56 PM

Oh, that is good news! I realized after my first posts in this thread that Sultan Kabob is just around the corner from my house!

I think I'll be having falafel for dinner tonight!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or