Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-10-2009, 03:41 PM

5,451 posts, read 6,038,907 times

Advertisements

Ani.. Just in case someone shoots the possum, I have a great southern recipe:

here ya' go!

SOUTHERN BAKED POSSUM (OPOSSUM) WITH
SWEET TATERS

1 fat possum
Salt & pepper
2 cloves garlic
2 c. water
5 strips bacon
2 lg. onions
1 tbsp. celery leaves
1 lg. can mushrooms
5 lg. sweet taters, cut in halves
3 tbsp. lard
1 tbsp. chopped parsley

Nail head of possum to a board, just a little larger than the possum. Skin it. Make paste of lard, salt, pepper and rub over entire possum. Fill cavity with onions, garlic, chopped parsley and celery leaves. Place possum and board on rack in roasting pan. Lay 5 strips of bacon across breast. Add water and mushrooms. Add water as needed. Surround the possum with sweet taters. Leave uncovered.

Bake in oven (300 to 350 degrees) until tender. Baste every 15 minutes. To determine when done, pull leg away from body. When done, throw away the possum and taters and eat the board.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-10-2009, 03:50 PM

35,879 posts, read 77,469,759 times
GETATAG: you are a jewel!!! ROFL!!!

Thank you so much for adding some "spice" to this crazy thread I got started, LOL!!!!

Old 05-10-2009, 05:09 PM

299 posts, read 1,071,366 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
And for everyone's elucidation, a possum wandering in the daylight is what caught this homeowner's attention and indeed, the possum tested positive for rabies. So . . . 1. don't tell me I was wrong for being concerned 2. don't tell me that Animal Control handled this properly by dismissing it as "nothing" and advising me to catch the possum myself by throwing a net over it or putting my Weber grill lid on it; and 3. don't tell me that possums "never have rabies."
I"m confused.... what ended up happening? Did animal control actually catch it and test it for rabies? I thought they didn't do anything to help you... or maybe I didn't ready carefully enough?

Old 05-10-2009, 06:26 PM

35,879 posts, read 77,469,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverSagess View Post
I"m confused.... what ended up happening? Did animal control actually catch it and test it for rabies? I thought they didn't do anything to help you... or maybe I didn't ready carefully enough?
Sorry, Sagess! The possum wandered back to the woods/creek and the Animal Control person walked down to the creek and then came back and said the possum was gone . . .

She told me that I should try to throw a net over the possum or use my Weber grill lid to capture him should he come back and loiter in our yard again - and then call Animal Control. She did not offer a trap (we asked).

The neighbors walked out and they tried to find the possum, but we have no idea where he is "holed up" or where he has rambled off to now.

The neighbors we talked with also feel this was very odd that this guy came up to the house in the daytime and they were concerned, so we all decided to just keep a watch out for the possum and make sure our animals are safe. We really don't know what else to do. We just hope that since the odds are that possums don't carry rabies - that this big boy is healthy and poses no danger to anyone.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
View detailed profiles of: