U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-11-2009, 10:03 AM

35,885 posts, read 67,065,320 times

Advertisements

And speaking of objectifying women . . . how about this study?

Men see bikini-clad women as objects, psychologists say - CNN.com

excerpt:

The broader purpose of the research was to explore circumstances under which people treat one another as the means to an end, Fiske said.

Past studies have also shown that when men view images of highly sexualized women, and then interact with a woman in a separate setting, they are more likely to have sexual words on their minds, she said. They are also more likely to remember the woman's physical appearance, and sit closer to her -- for instance, at a job interview.

Taken together, the research suggests that viewing certain images is not appropriate in the workplace, Fiske said.

And if overly sexualized women are inappropriate in the workplace . . . I think that would translate to any family venue, as well.

Old 05-11-2009, 10:06 AM

Location: Some got six month some got one solid. But me and my buddies all got lifetime here
4,551 posts, read 9,278,073 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
And if overly sexualized women are inappropriate in the workplace . . .

....I'd be singing "Hallelujah"!!!!!!!!!

Old 05-11-2009, 10:11 AM

197 posts, read 431,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianH1970 View Post
....I'd be singing "Hallelujah"!!!!!!!!!

Yeah, and if you put on that Borat junk holder you'd even hit all the high notes.

Old 05-11-2009, 10:11 AM

852 posts, read 2,215,970 times
Sophielee thanks for that image but OMG, I dread to think what the front looks like! For the record I have to agree with one of the other posters about some of the "normal" bikinis at the moment being very skimpy and those sofee shorts are equally as small. One might as well be wearing a thong because you need to have a Brazilian to be able to wear them too, so if you're in for a cent, you're in for a dollar.

Old 05-11-2009, 10:14 AM

Location: Some got six month some got one solid. But me and my buddies all got lifetime here
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChelleC View Post
Yeah, and if you put on that Borat junk holder you'd even hit all the high notes.

OHHHHHHH you got off a good one!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 05-11-2009, 10:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NMyTree View Post
Junhian, eh?

So in this thong scenario, who is the suffering soul? You or swimmingmom?
Neither. I am too old to give a damn if my hubby notices females 30 years his junior (just glad he still has it in him, Hee Hee) . . . and sons are in committed relationships, so too late to backstep on how I raised 'em.

I had my day. I wore a black leather bikini at the beach when I was 19, young and hot. It was essentially four triangles held together w/ gold hoops, LOL. But I never showed up at a community pool or country club in it. Had I, I can promise you I would not have been invited to events w/ other young women who would have considered such a thing a big breach in etiquette - and who wore their versions of that same bikini WHILE AT THE BEACH.

There is a time and place for everything. The time and place for thongs may be your backyard, the beach, the Caribbean - whatever. But it sho nuff ain't at the family-centered neighborhood pool.

Old 05-11-2009, 10:46 AM

2,341 posts, read 4,048,951 times
Come on. Common sense should prevail

Old 05-11-2009, 10:48 AM

14,115 posts, read 20,847,661 times
LOL I guess I better head to the store for a full back bathing suit

Old 05-11-2009, 10:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by himain View Post

Now now now... let's think this rationally, talk this through like adults...

Old 05-11-2009, 11:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by himain View Post
Himain, it would not matter what style of bathing suit you donned, I am sure you would look terrific.

The thing is (the thong is?) . . . you would not be there trying to upset the ladies, make the men pant, and mess up the little boys' minds for a month.

So no, you don't have to wear a full bathing suit. I personally think a nice bikini is a sexier look that string up someone's - uh - posterior, anyway, and I would suspect most men would say they wouldn't want their wives or daughters to show up in a thong at a community pool. Nothing wrong w/ a cute bikini, 2-piece or well designed one piece.

You would be there chatting w/ the women, sharing your nail polish color, your favorite salon and where one can find the best Cuban sandwich in Miami. No one is gonna feel you are trying to prove how sexy you are cause you are too secure to even put off those vibes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte