U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-12-2009, 02:00 PM

9,573 posts, read 8,863,362 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yougogirl! View Post
I am relocating from NYC in the next few months and I really need some good job leads. What is the job market like in Charlotte?

Is this a bad time to relocate? My background is communications, administrative and my degrees are in Business and communications.
Wow.. I think the advice here is dead on the money, but I think you guys are being a bit rough. Obviously, this person did not do their homework and needed a wake up call, but i think we are all getting a tad too edgy now. I mean, a simple "no, this is not the right time to move would have sufficed". I know its crazy to think people would pick up and move without doing research, but it's done all the time and mostly with horrid results. Frankly I'm a bit surprised by the nastiness in this thread, maybe the OP is just trying to get a bit of feedback beyond what we see every day. Remember, we live here, others do not.

On that note, do NOT move here without a job. It is beyond brutal right now. If you were misinformed about this area before you are well informed now I would think. Have faith though, it will get better, it always does.

Cheers everyone
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-12-2009, 02:19 PM

3,151 posts, read 3,135,541 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jp03 View Post
Wow.. I think the advice here is dead on the money, but I think you guys are being a bit rough. Obviously, this person did not do their homework and needed a wake up call, but i think we are all getting a tad too edgy now. I mean, a simple "no, this is not the right time to move would have sufficed". I know its crazy to think people would pick up and move without doing research, but it's done all the time and mostly with horrid results. Frankly I'm a bit surprised by the nastiness in this thread, maybe the OP is just trying to get a bit of feedback beyond what we see every day. Remember, we live here, others do not.

On that note, do NOT move here without a job. It is beyond brutal right now. If you were misinformed about this area before you are well informed now I would think. Have faith though, it will get better, it always does.

Cheers everyone
Great positive post and good observation. And yes, we are all praying that things will be better soon.

Old 05-12-2009, 02:51 PM

7,108 posts, read 9,708,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yougogirl! View Post
I am relocating from NYC in the next few months and I really need some good job leads. What is the job market like in Charlotte?

Is this a bad time to relocate? My background is communications, administrative and my degrees are in Business and communications.
Do not listen to these know-it-all people. They know diddly-squat. Why I know of at least a half dozen jobs in your field that you would be well suited for. Upwards of 40 big ones.

"Summer time and the living is easy"...you know the song I'm sure. Well here in Charlotte we have that as our NUMBER ONE bumper sticker!! One gal on board is in the t-shirt biz and I know for a fact she's clearing 10 large per month on the shirts. So all these nay-sayers know not what they are saying.
That Ani lady got all those rep points and stars for her cookie recipes. Nothing more. Heck what she know sis she only born here. Naw, listen to Big Papi John. Come on down and be part of the good life. Get on board the gravy chain!!

BTW I see you're from Brooklyn. I'm a landlord in Cobble Heights and Bushwick so you can rest assure what I say is gospel.
Before you leave Brooklyn do you want to buy that bridge from me? Please?

Big Papi John
P.S. Keep cool and stay close.

Old 05-12-2009, 03:27 PM

45,270 posts, read 88,403,909 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johne482 View Post
Do not listen to these know-it-all people. They know diddly-squat. Why I know of at least a half dozen jobs in your field that you would be well suited for. Upwards of 40 big ones.

"Summer time and the living is easy"...you know the song I'm sure. Well here in Charlotte we have that as our NUMBER ONE bumper sticker!! One gal on board is in the t-shirt biz and I know for a fact she's clearing 10 large per month on the shirts. So all these nay-sayers know not what they are saying.
That Ani lady got all those rep points and stars for her cookie recipes. Nothing more. Heck what she know sis she only born here. Naw, listen to Big Papi John. Come on down and be part of the good life. Get on board the gravy chain!!

BTW I see you're from Brooklyn. I'm a landlord in Cobble Heights and Bushwick so you can rest assure what I say is gospel.
Before you leave Brooklyn do you want to buy that bridge from me? Please?

Big Papi John
P.S. Keep cool and stay close.
Laughing outloud John Thanks for keeping your sense of humor, some folks seem to have really lost theirs!

Old 05-12-2009, 03:41 PM

You lose your sense of humor in these trying times you're going to have a REAL problem. I hope OP takes it the right way and doesn't lash out at me.
Brooklyn gals are tough and "I left my boxing gloves in San Francisco". Goes something like that doesn't it?
j

Old 05-12-2009, 06:41 PM

1,547 posts, read 2,171,415 times
Its not a wide open job market like eveyone thinks it is here. But if you are looking to loose the accent and live a lot better,,,,welcome to paradise.

Old 05-12-2009, 06:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClevelandMike View Post
Its not a wide open job market like eveyone thinks it is here. But if you are looking to loose the accent and live a lot better,,,,welcome to paradise.

You don't lose a Brooklyn accent. You come out of the womb and your first words are "Fogetabouit'! Then you are dying and the funeral director quotes you a price for the casket. So you say "_________________". I know you know the answer.

LOL
je

Old 05-12-2009, 06:51 PM

Who died and left you boss?

Old 05-12-2009, 06:52 PM

Youtouchadis and Ibreakayou face?

Old 05-12-2009, 08:13 PM

7,041 posts, read 13,113,630 times
To the OP:

Since when do we do "tones" up north?? And, while I am at it, how does one have a "tone" in an e-mail? Good Grief, this is not Chinese!! (a tonal language for those that don't know)

OK, here is a Chicagoan from the wrong side of the tracks talking. Things are bad elsewhere. In Charlotte, they are practically Mo-Town bad. Surely you know about Detroit with the double digit unemployment? We are knocking on their door with 11.5%. And, we are not finished yet. Our biggest employers are two banks; you may have heard of them, Bank of America and Wachovia. Wachovia was bought by Wells Fargo who just announced a preliminary job cut of 578 jobs. They are not finished. Bank of America is having their own struggles and rumour has it that jobs there are being cut weekly. So, your communications degree will be competing against MBAs and people with 20+ years of banking experience. Not quite sure that you can compete, especially with the lovely skills that you seem to have already demonstrated.

You have a plan. Got it. Hope that you have at least 2 years salary saved. We have members on this board who have been out of work for 11+ months already. Complete with degrees and many years of finance experience. Hmmm. So, what makes you think that you are going to be the one that is hired when there are others...natives, even..that are not getting hired?

So, call me nasty if you want. I prefer to say that I have shown you some of the infamous Midwestern bluntness. These are the facts. Don't like 'em? Oh, well. Don't be moaning and complaining if you get down here and end up taking the bus back...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte