Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-11-2009, 11:32 AM

3 posts, read 14,655 times

Advertisements

Hi all,

I wanted to know if there is public transportation(buses, trains, anything beside private taxis) that can get you from Johnson city, TN to the airport at Charlotte, NC? Any advice would help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-11-2009, 11:36 AM

35,879 posts, read 77,498,031 times
We used to fly into CLT and then have to get transportation to Boone . . . or fly into Johnson City and get transportation to Boone . . . and either way, there was no solution but rent a car, or get a family member or friend to haul us to our destination.

Have you booked a flight to Johnson City w/ no connecting flight to CLT? Or will you be staying a few days in the Johnson City area and then need to head to CLT - and fly out from there?

Old 05-11-2009, 11:57 AM

3 posts, read 14,655 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
We used to fly into CLT and then have to get transportation to Boone . . . or fly into Johnson City and get transportation to Boone . . . and either way, there was no solution but rent a car, or get a family member or friend to haul us to our destination.

Have you booked a flight to Johnson City w/ no connecting flight to CLT? Or will you be staying a few days in the Johnson City area and then need to head to CLT - and fly out from there?

Its actually for my aunt. She's flying up to NYC to visit family here. She lives in Johnson city and has 2 kids. The tickets from TRI airport are double what CLT prices are. So i was wondering if there was any type of public transportation to/from johnson city to CTL. If not she'll just have to rent a car.

Old 05-11-2009, 02:00 PM

35,879 posts, read 77,498,031 times
Are you flexible w/ travel times? Cause there were times it was cheaper for us to fly into Tri-City than to CLT- wh/ is why we booked the flights. However, the layovers were often through ATL, wh/ would seem counterintuitive, but that is what we did to get cheap tickets. Just mentioning this in case you were flexible about arrival and departure times/dates out of Tri-City.

Old 05-11-2009, 02:30 PM

2,603 posts, read 5,021,750 times
I would say Greyhound, but it looks like kind of a screwy schedule. You could Greyhound it from Johnson City to downtown Charlotte, take the No. 7 bus to the transit center and transfer to the No. 5 Airport bus. You would be very limited though on your times. There is a Greyhound that leaves Johnson City at 8 a.m. and gets to Charlotte at 2:30 p.m. Then it's about 45 minutes to an hour to the airport.

Getting back would be her real problem because the only Greyhounds from Charlotte to Johnson City are overnighters with long layovers at either the Knoxville or Wytheville, Va. stations. I don't know anything about thos particular stations, but having experience with Greyhound traveling, I wouldn't recommend late-night layovers anywhere for anybody, let alone a woman traveling on her own.

It really is a shame there is not more intercity transit here. There is a bus from Boone to Greensboro, but I doubt that would help you. I don't know about anything from Charlotte.

Old 05-11-2009, 08:53 PM

2,152 posts, read 6,801,149 times
I would think you'll spend the difference in the tickets in the cost to get your aunt from Johnson City to Charlotte. I put a lot of value on my time and a 3 hour car / cab / bus ride is $$ also.

Old 05-12-2009, 09:24 AM

29 posts, read 86,968 times
I moved to a Charlotte burb from Johnson City in Nov, and as far as I know, "No", there is no shuttle or anything to CLT airport (like there is from Chattanooga to Atlanta, for example). The distance and terrain is probably why--it's a good 3 hour drive, over hill and dale. Sorry!

Old 05-12-2009, 10:42 AM

197 posts, read 485,717 times
Well, well....small world... I moved back to a Charlotte burb from the Johnson City area two years ago. It would be cheaper to just pay the expensive flight costs than it would to expect to find transit from there to anywhere at a reasonable price w/o complications. Also, if I were going to recommend an airport it would be the Greensboro one if you're looking to go for a cheaper air ticket.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte