Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-12-2009, 07:20 AM

45,218 posts, read 100,681,934 times

Advertisements

Don't miss the Museum of the New South in uptown Charlotte - very interesting.

Levine Museum of the New South
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-12-2009, 07:21 AM

4,222 posts, read 7,891,826 times
Charlotte motor speedway. You can see the track and the awsome drag strip. You can also take a tour in a van from the gift shop for $5.

Old 05-12-2009, 07:36 AM

197 posts, read 485,379 times
I would recommend Discovery Place in uptown over the Energy Explorium. There are also lunch/dinner cruises available on Lake Norman. Catawba Queen (http://www.queenslanding.com/catawbaqueen.html - broken link)

I haven't been on one personally and would definitely call ahead as they may be booked up with all the proms, etc. this time of year. I know that is a popular pre-prom activity.

Old 05-12-2009, 08:11 AM

999 posts, read 4,651,484 times
I agree, Carowinds is just another ok amusement park. Living here, it was nice to have season passes last year as DD was just getting into coasters etc, but we'll not be getting them this year. They are not open every day yet, so if you do still plan on going they're only open Mem. Day, then Friday--only til 6, and Sat. Also, though the water park says it's open, I wouldn't count on everything there being opened, last year it was mid June before they had all the slides opened.
You said "the family"....does that include children? Ages? That might help us give better suggestions.

Old 05-12-2009, 09:26 AM

3,365 posts, read 10,019,579 times
Lake Lure/Chimney Rock Park approx 100 miles (allow 2hrs drive time) from Charlotte well worth the visit.

Old 05-12-2009, 10:22 AM

1,877 posts, read 4,863,254 times
Concord Mills on Speedway (refuse to call it Bruton Smith) Blvd has some good shopping. I would suggest Ebenezer Park on Lake Wylie, if you're wanting to go swimming. Ebenezer Park of Rock Hill. I second Southbound's suggestion of Kings Mountain. Also might check out Andrew Jackson State Park, in Lancaster, SC. About This Park - Andrew Jackson State Park - South Carolina State Parks Hope y'all have a blast!

Old 05-12-2009, 01:01 PM

1,894 posts, read 6,462,346 times
As mentioned here...I would go west rather than east for an out-of-Charlotte side trip. Asheville would be a great place to start. I would also recommend Grandfather Mountain and the Blue Ridge Parkway (any part of it, preferably, the high elevations south of Asheville).

Unless you're a fan of art and art museums, I'd stray from the Mint Museum. That's solely my opinion...nothing wrong with the museum, just not my kind of place...at least not on a limited trip and wanting to do a lot of exciting things.

If you're into NASCAR, the local garages are cool (and free) to visit. You can see a good handful within a short drive between each team.

Old 05-12-2009, 02:37 PM

5,289 posts, read 7,485,004 times
Biltmore is awesome. We thought we would get bored being there for a weekend, but had a great time. Asheville is pretty sweet.

The aviation musuem was small, but cheap and fun. That is actually located in Charlotte too, unlike Biltmore which is 2.5 hours away.

We got to Charleston in 3 hours and 15 minutes, and that was remarkable. We can't wait to go back. Arguably one of the cooler trips I've ever been on.

Old 05-12-2009, 03:40 PM

1,877 posts, read 4,863,254 times
Might also want to check out the Schiele Museum in Gastonia. More of a natural sciences theme, and a great planetarium! Schiele Museum

Old 05-12-2009, 09:27 PM

4,761 posts, read 7,830,787 times
I would definitely skip on Lake Norman unless you plan to get a boat for the day. Inquire about GPS for the boat. You'll need it. Very easy to get turned around/lost if you're not familiar with the lake.

Biltmore is a good one. Carowinds is so-so. Charleston would be a great overnight trip if you can pull it off. Drive the Blue Ridge Parkway. A Knights game would be fun, too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte