U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 05-13-2009, 12:42 PM
 
18 posts, read 26,215 times
Reputation: 13

Advertisements

I have tried looking into older threads, regarding the above named high school. I haven't seen tons on CD. We have fallen in love with a home in Matthews, and from what is on the listing, our children would attend East Meck. I have searched on other sites, and I saw that the scores aren't at the top, however, I would like some comments on the school in general. Is it safe? Have you had a child graduate from there, and if so, what was his/her experience? As a former educator, I just believe there is more to a school, than just test scores. Thanks to anyone with feedback!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 05-13-2009, 01:08 PM
 
Location: Up above the world so high!
45,269 posts, read 88,570,147 times
Reputation: 39866
Quote:
Originally Posted by cantw8 View Post
I have tried looking into older threads, regarding the above named high school. I haven't seen tons on CD. We have fallen in love with a home in Matthews, and from what is on the listing, our children would attend East Meck. I have searched on other sites, and I saw that the scores aren't at the top, however, I would like some comments on the school in general. Is it safe? Have you had a child graduate from there, and if so, what was his/her experience? As a former educator, I just believe there is more to a school, than just test scores. Thanks to anyone with feedback!
I'd say to make an appt to go meet the principal to get a feel for the school yourself I don't believe the scores tell the whole story there actually. It is a high minority school but kids I know who go there are very loyal to it. It's also known for its band and fine arts department. If it just didn't feel right to you perhaps you could check out Queens Grant Charter school in Mint Hill (also a public school) - it's a bit late for getting in to the better magnet programs.

Which neighborhood are you interested in?

http://queensgrant.heritageacademies.com/
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-13-2009, 05:36 PM
 
18 posts, read 26,215 times
Reputation: 13
This is strange...I am unable to view the reply from loves...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-13-2009, 06:04 PM
 
Location: Up above the world so high!
45,269 posts, read 88,570,147 times
Reputation: 39866
Quote:
Originally Posted by cantw8 View Post
This is strange...I am unable to view the reply from loves...
How weird, I see it
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-13-2009, 06:05 PM
 
Location: Up above the world so high!
45,269 posts, read 88,570,147 times
Reputation: 39866
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
I'd say to make an appt to go meet the principal to get a feel for the school yourself I don't believe the scores tell the whole story there actually. It is a high minority school but kids I know who go there are very loyal to it. It's also known for its band and fine arts department. If it just didn't feel right to you perhaps you could check out Queens Grant Charter school in Mint Hill (also a public school) - it's a bit late for getting in to the better magnet programs.

Which neighborhood are you interested in?

Queen's Grant Community School :: Mint Hill, NC Charter School :: Premier Charter School in North Carolina


Maybe you can see it now? (above)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-13-2009, 09:16 PM
 
Location: Huntersville
409 posts, read 990,862 times
Reputation: 372
It may be hard to believe now, but back in the mid to late 1970's East Meck was probably one of the top 3 high schools in the state.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-13-2009, 09:29 PM
 
47 posts, read 93,756 times
Reputation: 35
East Meck was actually one of the best in CMS and the state until about the late 1980s, right up until the time that Providence High School started. Many newcomers may not know this, but East Meck's attendance zone used to include everything from all of its current area, present day Providence High School, and a good deal of Butler's and Myers Park's attendance zones.

It certainly has slipped a bit, but I still think that the top students at East Meck (IB students) are as bright and motived as any in the city.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-14-2009, 07:36 AM
 
18 posts, read 26,215 times
Reputation: 13
You guys are great! Thanks for your information. Also, thanks loves for resubmitting your reply. I can view it fine now. Our two top home choices rae in the Drexel Glen and Glenwood Manor neighborhoods.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-14-2009, 08:01 AM
 
47 posts, read 93,756 times
Reputation: 35
FYI,

Both of those neighborhoods are under discussion by the CMS Board for moving to the Butler High School attendance zone. I think the final decision will be made sometime in June.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-14-2009, 10:31 AM
 
18 posts, read 26,215 times
Reputation: 13
nchiker, this is what I find confusing...it seems like the attendance zones frequently. Is that correct? I ask, because in our child's high school career, should we expect her to possibly change schools? It is difficult to search for homes (when good schools are a priority) when the disctrict lines are forever changing! What are your thoughts? From what I have seen, Butler High School is good.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:



Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 08:49 AM.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top