U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-06-2007, 04:59 PM

23 posts, read 95,845 times

Advertisements

Well, I'm hopping on the bandwagon now and moving down to North Carolina just like everybody else! Just a few questions though, first.

What are the nicest areas to live in in the Charlotte area? I do have a family and would like a safe area with a good family-friendly community. I want to be able to have a decent house with a nice yard. Cost is not an issue, if a nice area costs more, that's fine (I guarantee you it doesn't cost as much as Boston). I see a lot of stuff on these forums about Union County, is that nice? To be honest, it seems very rural and conservative, which, growing up in Boston you can imagine I have had very little exposure to either. I would probably prefer Mecklenberg County to the surrounding suburban/rural ones for that reason, but I don't have the mindset that NC is going to be like MA at all anway (hopefully better). There must be something Union County does right, though, since I see it so much. It may be more of an adjustment, but if anybody thinks that Union County or another rural/suburban area is better than Mecklenberg for families, or just overall, then I'm all for it anyway.

What kind of religious diversity is there in the Charlotte area? My husband is Catholic and I am Jewish (so that means by Jewish law, so are my kids) and I have always associated the south with having very little of either. It may just be a stereotype though. I know there are some places in this country where kids of other faiths are made fun of in school, but I can imagine NC isn't like that, right?

Do many transplant kids develop local accents? I'm just curious, it would not be a big deal if they did. I would like them to keep their current accent really, but in the scheme of things it doesn't matter too much.

Does the area feel like the North because there are so many transplants? I'm not leaving to get rid of rude Northerners, or to find Southern hospitality, it would be nice, but I don't really care. I just want to enjoy a warm area that actually has a stable (and growing) economy, and a city that doesn't look like it's in the rust belt (which Boston is). I don't intend to impose my lifestyle on anyone, I want to enjoy whatever the lifestyle is down here. I'm just asking to see if I will have to majorly adjust the way I live, or if it will pretty much be 'same old, same old' but with weather 10 degress higher.

Thanks. I'll probably come up with more questions, but there's a start.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-06-2007, 05:07 PM

1,384 posts, read 1,421,650 times
Hey Boston! :-)

I think you would love SE Charlotte-- Carmel Rd area, SouthPark, Ballantyne...even Lake Norman to the north (Huntersville, Cornelius, Davidon). Houses average 275k and up, some lower....depends on the neighborhood.

As someone who transplanted from a large city, I really think Union County would be too much of a change for you. It is absolutely lovely, but Meck Co would be more your speed. Union Co is growing and I am sure a plethora of posters will come on here to talk about how wonderful it is (and it is), but as a fellow "big-city" person, it just feels too far removed for me.

Yes, transplanted kids get a TAD of an accent sometimes....depends on the kid! Nothing too thick, though. Take it from me...I have a bit of an accent now myself!! :-)

I think that you will find the people here friendly. Just like anywhere, the more you get involved in the community and activities, the happier you will be and the more friends you will make!

As for diversity, there is a great Jewish community as well as a catholic community. I can say that I have never heard of my friends' kids experiencing being made fun of for faith and I have friends of all faiths. I think that you will find the religious diversity pleasing.

Hope that helps, and welcome!!

Old 04-06-2007, 05:16 PM

1,453 posts, read 4,686,788 times
I think you'd be happy in South Park, Ballantyne, Piper Glen, Providence CC. All these areas are very nice, safe, beautiful neighborhoods. Moderator cut: website promotion There is a Quality of Life Study on charmeck.org that denotes crime, educational stats, economic, and demographics. If you have specific questions feel free to pm me. Good luck.

Old 04-06-2007, 05:26 PM

348 posts, read 317,659 times
South Charlotte hands down!

My hubby is Jewish (non-practicing tho) and I'm Catholic from NYC. I live in Providence Country Club (which someone mentioned above). It's a great little melting pot. Also, if you're into sports--there's a Boston Redsox inpsired pub/restaurant in Matthews...which is really close by (owner is from Boston)...I'm a NY Yankees fan, so I can't go inside by rite! LOL!

However, we're only 15 mins from JCC (Jewish temple) if you're so inclined. Also, St, Matthews Church for the Catholics has over 3000 families attending. We love it here. I don't detect any accents on the transplant kids here...i don't really think there is a real charlotte accent..perhaps because there are so many transplants...

I find it very embracing here. Jerry, my Jewish neighbor from Brooklyn across the street put his menorah in the window during Hannukah, others put up Christmas lights. I like the variety....

Lisa

Old 04-06-2007, 05:29 PM

1,418 posts, read 6,374,744 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by businessperson View Post
I think you'd be happy in South Park, Ballantyne, Piper Glen, Providence CC. All these areas are very nice, safe, beautiful neighborhoods. If you'd like to view homes in the area you can go to my website. There is a Quality of Life Study on charmeck.org that denotes crime, educational stats, economic, and demographics. If you have specific questions feel free to pm me. Good luck.
BP beat me to it! I was going to suggest the same areas!!

I'm sending a short pm.

Old 04-06-2007, 05:56 PM

18,434 posts, read 29,386,959 times
I think they may aquire the accent. Even when I was a child and moved from mear the DC area in Maryland to where I am now in Virginia, I have changed in accent. It has turned a bit southern, funny though, when I get back together with my family I get my 'regular' accent back. My kids are growing up and to me they have a southern accent here in VA. They have always had what they have. But I was 15 when I moved here and my accent changed. My 2 cents on the accent

Old 04-06-2007, 06:38 PM

193 posts, read 187,400 times
If cost is not an issue then Myers Park is probably the nicest neighborhood in CLT. Plunk down $2 million on a home and send your kids to private school (assuming that the private school will accept your kids). Oh, and you should hope that your kids LOSE their current accents. Life in NC will be infinitely easier for them with a neutral or slightly Southern accent.

Old 04-06-2007, 09:30 PM

1,891 posts, read 5,545,691 times
I think south charlotte or union county would work well for you. We are originally from NY, Jewish and have found this to be a wonderful place to raise a family.

Love the question about accents -- My kids don't have the same (relatively) strong NY accent that my husband and I have, but they do not have a southern accent by any stretch. The funniest thing is that my youngest (age 6) was born here and has more of a NY accent than a southern one. Go figure

Let me Moderator cut: Realtor solicitation

Old 04-07-2007, 09:25 AM

23 posts, read 95,845 times
Thanks everyone!
It sounds like Charlotte isn't what I was expecting, it seems even better now!
I was very surprised to hear that there are so many diverse people from across the US! I will definately checkout the Southwestern part of Charlotte, it sounds great.

Quote:
If cost is not an issue then Myers Park is probably the nicest neighborhood in CLT. Plunk down $2 million on a home and send your kids to private school (assuming that the private school will accept your kids).
I did say cost wasn't an issue, but I wasn't expecting that kind of standard in North Carolina, or anywhere else besides NY or CA, really! Is that a really nice area? Unless there's anything under $1 million, I don't think I'll be moving there, though. The other areas suggested seem sort of pricey compared to other local towns and neighborhoods, but it's still nothing compared to what it is here in MA, so that's probably where we'll end up going.

Just one more question, though. How is Charlotte compared to Raleigh/Durham/Chapel Hill? I constanly see articles and such about the boom in Raleigh (which is when we started considering NC), but Charlotte is growing fast too, and it seems more appealing to me. Would anyone be able to sort of compare/contrast major things about these two areas?

Thanks for all the help everyone!

Old 04-07-2007, 09:45 AM

178 posts, read 809,881 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pauton View Post
Thanks everyone!
It sounds like Charlotte isn't what I was expecting, it seems even better now!
I was very surprised to hear that there are so many diverse people from across the US! I will definately checkout the Southwestern part of Charlotte, it sounds great.

I did say cost wasn't an issue, but I wasn't expecting that kind of standard in North Carolina, or anywhere else besides NY or CA, really! Is that a really nice area? Unless there's anything under $1 million, I don't think I'll be moving there, though. The other areas suggested seem sort of pricey compared to other local towns and neighborhoods, but it's still nothing compared to what it is here in MA, so that's probably where we'll end up going.

Just one more question, though. How is Charlotte compared to Raleigh/Durham/Chapel Hill? I constanly see articles and such about the boom in Raleigh (which is when we started considering NC), but Charlotte is growing fast too, and it seems more appealing to me. Would anyone be able to sort of compare/contrast major things about these two areas?

Thanks for all the help everyone!
I just went on the MLs system & did a search for areas 4-1 and 5-1 (these are Myers Park/Eastover/Elizabeth areas. I never understand why alot of real estate agents that come on here discourage newcomers from looking at these areas by saying houses cost 2 million. In 1 minute I found two of the nicest houses for 599,000-659,000 in Myers Park. I would live in either one in a second!! Everyone I know lives in this area and most paid 500,000-900,000 for thier homes. Yeah, you can find more expensive homes here, but if you want to be in what I consider the nicest area of Charlotte- take a look for yourself. Moderator cut: MLS numbers
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or