Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-20-2009, 05:17 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,413,299 times

Advertisements

dont kill em they eat rats.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-22-2009, 09:44 AM

165 posts, read 559,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by snowflake View Post
I'm happy you are snake free. I have been too. If the neighbor knows it's the same snake, maybe he will adopt it and keep you snake free forever.

He actually said he and another neighbor tried to kill it. He told us to kill it if we saw it again. He looked very uncomfortable even discussing the idea of a snake. We WILL NOT kill the snake. I would actually rather have him around our place now that I know everyone has it out for him.

Old 06-08-2009, 08:46 PM

2 posts, read 6,761 times
Default Landlord harrasing me with pet snake

Landlord put his couple of pet snakes to the backwyard & stairs at my rented house to clean up the bugs. I have snake-phobia and I told him to remove the snakes, but he did not. I have snake phobia and I stressed out. I went to the doctor & my doctor gave me medicine .

What should I do? Should I sue against the landlord , break the lease or go to the police?

Quote:
Originally Posted by HLaw82 View Post
Let me first start out by saying I am new to Charlotte. So if this is normal to most of you, it's not to me. I have never had to deal with this before so please be kind as I have posted other innocent inquires here before only to be treated like an Idiot.

My boyfriend and I are really enjoying the weather so we were in our garage doing some cleaning/organizing. I turned around only to see a 5 foot black snake climbing one of the walls. He didn't seem agressive and moved slowly. What was I supposed to do in this situation? Online it gave instructions on how to kill a snake. I don't think I could have done that. Well, as we tried to figure out what to do he crawled into a little nook in the wall. He's going to have to come out sometime. Is this a normal thing out here? Should I expect more of this? How can I protect my home? He looked to be a black racer snake from what I could Identify. I don't think he is poisenous but I have a very curious lab who I am very worried about. We are living in a rental house and after this situation happened we walked around and noticed all kinds of easy place for critters to get in. I mean there are gaps everywhere. Any help/advice is appreciated? And if you think I am being a baby, no need to mention it.

Old 06-09-2009, 11:19 AM

I started this post a while back and have been snake free. That is until today. I went to turn my hose on to water my pumpkins and there he was. Not an inch from my flip flopped feet. I know he is a good snake but I really wish we would stop meeting like this.

Old 06-09-2009, 01:49 PM

873 posts, read 1,804,318 times
It's absolutely amazing that in a city of 2-legged snakes that will kill you or rob you or rape you, etc. people are so scared of mostly-harmless reptiles!!

Old 06-10-2009, 10:25 AM

79 posts, read 344,057 times
I caught a 4 ft black rat snake the other day. Although they are supposed to be harmless they can be very aggressive when cornered, like this one was. Coiled up, ready to strike, head followed my every movement. If you didn't know any better you would run the other way, which is the whole idea of its behavior. Instead I got a stick and pinned it behind its head, then grabbed it. The thing let off the foulest odor as I was carrying it away, I guess its second line of defense. I let it go in the forest.

I think these are the most common snakes in this area, besides those little ringneck snakes. The juvenile rat snakes look a little like copperheads in coloring, and also can be agressive like the adults.

Old 06-10-2009, 10:47 AM

5,979 posts, read 19,897,644 times
I would freak out if I saw one even if harmless! One of our spigots is near our AC units outside, and the ground is covered with pine needles. I dread turning that spigot on or off and I watch my step very gingerly. The landscaper found snakes in several of our neighbors lawns he does and we're nowhere near wooded areas! But I guess, that's better than the black widow spiders that live inside your shoes, garden gloves in the garage when we were in So Cal. I have learned to shake everything out (to this day even!) before I put them on if there's even the slightest hint of a cobweb on it! Poke with a stick first and see if something comes out, then invert and shake vigorously! See! Charlotte is soooo much better than So Cal!

Old 06-10-2009, 11:56 AM

79 posts, read 344,057 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bibit612 View Post
I would freak out if I saw one even if harmless! One of our spigots is near our AC units outside, and the ground is covered with pine needles. I dread turning that spigot on or off and I watch my step very gingerly. The landscaper found snakes in several of our neighbors lawns he does and we're nowhere near wooded areas! But I guess, that's better than the black widow spiders that live inside your shoes, garden gloves in the garage when we were in So Cal. I have learned to shake everything out (to this day even!) before I put them on if there's even the slightest hint of a cobweb on it! Poke with a stick first and see if something comes out, then invert and shake vigorously! See! Charlotte is soooo much better than So Cal!
I'm sorry to break the news, but this area is also known for black widow spiders.

Old 06-12-2009, 07:32 AM

Just to update on my snake situation. My dog found the snake in the yard yesterday. I tried to keep track of him so we could relocate him once my boyfriend got home. I lost him. We went out into the garage to leave and he was tangled up above the utility door in the garage. We were then shocked to see another one peek it's head out. There were two of them. We called animal control. They told me they would take care of the snakes at no cost. We waited over three hours and they never showed up.

Old 06-13-2009, 05:33 AM
LLN

5,265 posts, read 10,730,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HLaw82 View Post
J We called animal control. They told me they would take care of the snakes at no cost. We waited over three hours and they never showed up.
Well, at least the no cost was correct.

I read somewhere in this thread about black snake and their not being venomous. I have not been bitten by a black snake, but I have consistently heard in conversations with herps that their bite is about as bad as a venomous snake due to the almost certainty of INFECTION from their bite.

So, they are aggressive and they will bite and bite hard, and you will almost certainly get a bad infection, so treat them with due respect and caution. They are EXTREMELY BENEFICIAL so don't go killing them.

By the way, I have major snake phobia, for good, up close reasons, but I try to learn as much as I can about them.

Good Luck.

lln
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte