Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-18-2009, 06:40 AM

873 posts, read 1,804,492 times

Advertisements

It's illegal to relocate Raccoons in N.C.

Quote:
Originally Posted by snowflake View Post
They said that they are licensed and insured. They remove raccoons and other stuff as well. They don't kill them -- except for the rodents. I sure hope I didn't pay for something that shouldn't have been done.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-18-2009, 06:55 AM

5,457 posts, read 6,049,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bugguy View Post
It's illegal to relocate Raccoons in N.C.
Maybe they took'em to S.C.

Old 05-19-2009, 06:06 PM

873 posts, read 1,804,492 times
LOL....then it becomes a Federal offense! In most states, it's illegal for an unlicensed individual to possess native wildlife, even if you're just trying to help. It's illegal to transport any wildlife across state lines without written expressed permission. Study up on the Lacey Act.
Quote:
Originally Posted by getatag View Post
Maybe they took'em to S.C.

Old 05-20-2009, 05:41 AM

5,457 posts, read 6,049,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bugguy View Post
LOL....then it becomes a Federal offense! In most states, it's illegal for an unlicensed individual to possess native wildlife, even if you're just trying to help. It's illegal to transport any wildlife across state lines without written expressed permission. Study up on the Lacey Act.
You are definitely correct, but I have an interesting story about such transportation.

Gentleman I knew about 15 or 20 years ago had a squirrel problem in his attic. He tried all sorts of wire, steelwool, etc. to keep them out to no avail. He finally borrowed some live traps from either the humane society or some such organization. He trapped the squirrels and then transported them to a remote woodsy location in the county. The organization that loaned the traps called after about a week to check on his progress and remind him that trapping and transporting wildlife was illegal. He had a lengthy conversation about why they used such traps, etc. The end result was the organization representative suggested he fill a rain barrel and drop the humane trap and it's contents in the water until bubbles stopped coming to the surface.

Old 05-20-2009, 05:56 AM

21,956 posts, read 24,311,123 times
I don't know about in NC but in CA "IF" the people are licensed to relocate wildlife then they "Can" relocate the wildlife. They know where to relocate these animals to a place them where there is not an over population or to a place where they will not be bait for other wild creatures--
The ideas of catching an animal in a live trap only to drown them seems sadistic.

Old 05-20-2009, 07:14 AM

165 posts, read 559,545 times
I am still snake free, people!!! I talked to my neighbor and he said the same snake has been around for years. I don't know how he knows that for sure but ok!!

Old 05-20-2009, 08:47 AM

2,560 posts, read 6,829,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by getatag View Post
You are definitely correct, but I have an interesting story about such transportation.

Gentleman I knew about 15 or 20 years ago had a squirrel problem in his attic. He tried all sorts of wire, steelwool, etc. to keep them out to no avail. He finally borrowed some live traps from either the humane society or some such organization. He trapped the squirrels and then transported them to a remote woodsy location in the county. The organization that loaned the traps called after about a week to check on his progress and remind him that trapping and transporting wildlife was illegal. He had a lengthy conversation about why they used such traps, etc. The end result was the organization representative suggested he fill a rain barrel and drop the humane trap and it's contents in the water until bubbles stopped coming to the surface.
That's horiible!

Old 05-20-2009, 02:32 PM

172 posts, read 584,629 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HLaw82 View Post
I am still snake free, people!!! I talked to my neighbor and he said the same snake has been around for years. I don't know how he knows that for sure but ok!!
I'm happy you are snake free. I have been too. If the neighbor knows it's the same snake, maybe he will adopt it and keep you snake free forever.

Old 05-20-2009, 04:44 PM

5,295 posts, read 5,241,918 times
Copperheads are very dangerous...the bit might not kill, but it is extremely painful, and WILL put you in the hospital...they are more aggresive than the avg rattle snake too.

Old 05-20-2009, 05:14 PM

45,217 posts, read 100,729,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohioaninsc View Post
Copperheads are very dangerous...the bit might not kill, but it is extremely painful, and WILL put you in the hospital...they are more aggresive than the avg rattle snake too.
Yep. Like I said earlier - they are sneaky too. I would certainly not go near one on purpose.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte