Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-14-2009, 09:34 AM

1,076 posts, read 2,356,895 times

Advertisements

We are finally headed up next week to do some home hunting. I want a rural way of life, but modern conveniences (hospital, shopping, etc). I want to know if being far from Charlotte poses any inconveniences, or if there is plenty of shopping and things to do in the area. Also, being in the Law Field, I will need to probably work out of Charlotte, as will DH if he wants to make the same money there as he is in FL. How bad is the commute from Unionville and Moroe areas to Charlotte? And what are the school systems like in the rural communities?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-14-2009, 11:15 AM

1,304 posts, read 4,301,089 times
You would be in Union County Schools, probably in the Piedmont or Porter Ridge Clusters. See this map to sort out the locations:

Map of the Unionville area schools:
http://fpc.ucps.k12.nc.us/planning_c...reaMap0910.pdf

Clusters:
http://fpc.ucps.k12.nc.us/planning_c...SchoolYear.php

Weblinks to all UCPS:
http://www.ucps.k12.nc.us/apps/alldir.php

Union County Subdivision map:
http://maps.co.union.nc.us/gis/stand...bdivisions.pdf

Maybe these links will help you map out where you want to look. If you could locate in the northeastern part of Union County, somewhere with east access to I-485, your commute would be easier. (I would hate to fight Hwy 74/Independence Blvd. all the way in to downtown Charlotte everyday).

I live on the far other side of the county, so you will want to get advice from someone who lives in that area right now, but thought I could at least point you in the right direction.

Last edited by marvinnative; 05-14-2009 at 11:34 AM..

Old 05-14-2009, 02:59 PM

930 posts, read 2,150,427 times
First of all, if you have children, be very careful about the boundaries for the schools. They changed a couple of months ago and will probably will change again. I have heard good things about Piedmont schools. I live in Monroe off of Seacrest Shortcut. I am from Fl and I love it here. We are so convenient to everything. I really don't want to live in Charlotte, just because I wanted a slower pace, not that Monroe is really slower paced, but I used to live in Orlando and Jax and didn't want that again. The commute to Charlotte is not that bad, depending on what time you have to travel and there are backroads and shortcuts that help. Unionville is a little farther out than I live, but not that far. We have drive through Unionville city limits to go to our children's school, Porter Ridge. We have a small mall that has a JcPenney, Sears and Belks. I go there when I need something quick, otherwise I go to Carolina Place, which depending on the traffice and time of day can take anywhere from 25 to 50 minutes. We have four groceries as well as the usual Walmart, Kmart, etc. I usually go to the Walmart in Indian Trail, about 10 miles away because it is much nicer. If you have any specific questions that I may be able to answer, let me know. Good luck with your move.

Old 05-14-2009, 03:01 PM

Just one more thought, I just read what marvinnative said. I don't ever drive 74/Independence. I go Seacrest Shortcut, which becomes Idlewilde and it will cut me to where ever I need to be or take me all the way into Charlotte. Not as much traffic, more scenic drive.

Old 05-14-2009, 03:30 PM

1,304 posts, read 4,301,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thebalogas View Post
Just one more thought, I just read what marvinnative said. I don't ever drive 74/Independence. I go Seacrest Shortcut, which becomes Idlewilde and it will cut me to where ever I need to be or take me all the way into Charlotte. Not as much traffic, more scenic drive.
Good tip, Balogas! I knew someone who lived over that way would have better advice.

Old 05-14-2009, 03:40 PM

45,218 posts, read 100,327,822 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thebalogas View Post
First of all, if you have children, be very careful about the boundaries for the schools. They changed a couple of months ago and will probably will change again. I have heard good things about Piedmont schools. I live in Monroe off of Seacrest Shortcut. I am from Fl and I love it here. We are so convenient to everything. I really don't want to live in Charlotte, just because I wanted a slower pace, not that Monroe is really slower paced, but I used to live in Orlando and Jax and didn't want that again. The commute to Charlotte is not that bad, depending on what time you have to travel and there are backroads and shortcuts that help. Unionville is a little farther out than I live, but not that far. We have drive through Unionville city limits to go to our children's school, Porter Ridge. We have a small mall that has a JcPenney, Sears and Belks. I go there when I need something quick, otherwise I go to Carolina Place, which depending on the traffice and time of day can take anywhere from 25 to 50 minutes. We have four groceries as well as the usual Walmart, Kmart, etc. I usually go to the Walmart in Indian Trail, about 10 miles away because it is much nicer. If you have any specific questions that I may be able to answer, let me know. Good luck with your move.
Unionville is one of my favorite areas in Union county

Old 05-14-2009, 07:48 PM

529 posts, read 1,971,873 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
Unionville is one of my favorite areas in Union county
Ditto! I love Unionville. Just past there, New Salem is nice too but even more rural.

Old 05-15-2009, 05:26 AM

175 posts, read 410,700 times
Depending on where you land a job, the Unionville back towards Indian Trail area can be a great fit. You have several options from Lawyers Rd, Hwy218, and Ildewild Rd. that can get you to 485 and pretty much anywhere you want to go. You won't even have to touch Hwy 74 which can be a nightmare.

The area is great and like another poster said....just make 100% sure what school district you are in. You will be fine in Porter Ridge or Piedmont cluster, however if the kids are middle school or high school age, they will go to Piedmont due to a recent decision by the BOE to curb overcrowding at Porter Ridge. However, Piedmont is a great school. All of the elemetary schools out there are great, Unionville, Fairview, Hemby Bridge, Sardis....you'll be happy.

Presbyterian (Novant Healthcare) has a great hospital just off Hwy 74 in Matthews. Unless you stray way out in the boonies, you should be less than 1/2 hour from it. STAY FAR AWAY from the hospital in Monroe...just don't go there...even for a broken toe.

Shopping...unless you need it in your neighborhood, you will be fine. If you go out to 485 on any of the roads I mentioned...you can go one way for 20 minutes and be at Carolina Place Mall (Pineville) or 20 minutes the other way and you will be at Concord Mills. Just be careful if you go towards Concord Mills next week..it is next to Lowes Motor Speedway and it is Race Week in Charlotte. Like one poster said, Super Walmart in Indian Trail is great. If you end up on the west side of Hwy 601...you can head west on Lawyers and you will find a nice Harris Teeter shopping center for groceries as well as a CVS and some nice dining options. Over on Idlewild you can hit a Food Lion in Hemby Bride or a couple miles further up at the 485 intersection is a Lowes Grocery Store.

Not sure what your price range is...but there are plenty of options. Unionville has Smithfield which is $350-up range and Old Gate just off 601 North in the same price range. Not many lower priced new developments in that area...but if you head a little more towards Indian Trail you can easily get in the $200+range. If you arent sold on a new construction...you can find anything you want.

Good luck...and have a great visit.

Old 05-15-2009, 07:08 AM

172 posts, read 463,378 times
I have to disagree about the hospital in Monroe. I had surgery there last summer and was treated very professionally. I have great doctors in this area as well.

Old 05-15-2009, 07:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zatol View Post
I have to disagree about the hospital in Monroe. I had surgery there last summer and was treated very professionally. I have great doctors in this area as well.
I agree with you. My husband has had to have various tests done at that hospital and they were wonderful. Also, my neighbor collapsed in her home and had to be rushed to the hospital. They were great to her too, she did have to be transferred to another hospital for one final test that the Monroe hospital didn't have the testing equipment for, but that was the only reason.

We also have wonderful doctors in this area. We have two orthopedics, family practioners, urologist and pediatricians. I have no complaints.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte