Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-09-2007, 06:56 AM

2,314 posts, read 2,832,446 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Markh View Post
About 2.5 years for us. When we first started looking you could still buy new waterfront houses on lake norman for about what we ended up paying for our not even close to waterfront house. Still a great deal though.. If I could only go back in time
When we came over for a vacation back in 1982 my dad had the chance to buy 10 acres on the water for about a $1000 an acre. He was like who the hell would want to live at this mosquito pit? He ended up buying a few acres in land in Huntersville.

Needless to say he still cusses that decision. Funny thing is when we moved in 1988 we never did build on the acres in Huntersville and they bought a re-sale. Oh the college education I could have had.....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2007, 07:31 AM

478 posts, read 2,045,252 times
Why does he still 'cus' that decision, CharlotteAgent? I'm thinking Huntersville would be a very desirable place to build? Or developers would be offering big money to landowners to sell?

(is it really a 'moquito pit'? Honestly. If it is, just tell me, I won't post a response.)

Old 04-09-2007, 07:51 AM

No, if he could get it at $1000 per acre back then on the lake and now its selling around $700000 per 1/2 acre you do the math

Huntersville off the water is nice just the appreciation was/is not as much.

Old 04-09-2007, 08:03 AM

1,800 posts, read 5,715,999 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlotteAgent View Post
When we came over for a vacation back in 1982 my dad had the chance to buy 10 acres on the water for about a $1000 an acre. He was like who the hell would want to live at this mosquito pit? He ended up buying a few acres in land in Huntersville.

Needless to say he still cusses that decision. Funny thing is when we moved in 1988 we never did build on the acres in Huntersville and they bought a re-sale. Oh the college education I could have had.....
Hate to sound "corny", but everything happens for a reason. Who knows what kind of problems may have been attached to that purchase....more money, more problems!

Old 04-09-2007, 08:06 AM

Quote:
No, if he could get it at $1000 per acre back then on the lake and now its selling around $700000 per 1/2 acre you do the math

Huntersville off the water is nice just the appreciation was/is not as much.
Ah, thank you! Now I understand.

Well, makes a good story.

Old 04-09-2007, 08:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stmaarten View Post
Hate to sound "corny", but everything happens for a reason. Who knows what kind of problems may have been attached to that purchase....more money, more problems!
Yeah probably true. We laugh about it now but hey it could have been fun. It is amazing the fork in the road. Which direction do I go? It somewhat relates to most of you on here who are thinking of moving. Do I do it or not?

Old 04-09-2007, 08:12 AM

Quote:
Yeah probably true. We laugh about it now but hey it could have been fun. It is amazing the fork in the road. Which direction do I go? It somewhat relates to most of you on here who are thinking of moving. Do I do it or not?
Exactly! That "fork in the road" decision was not an easy one, but we're glad we did it! Time will tell, I guess. Can you imagine what your life would have been like, had your father not taken that overseas vacation??? You'd be eating fish and chips and drinking a pint of lager right now, cursing out the rainy weather!

Old 04-09-2007, 08:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stmaarten View Post
EYou'd be eating fish and chips and drinking a pint of lager right now, cursing out the rainy weather!
Gorgeous weather in most of England for days now. We've been in shorts since last week, lovely Easter Sunday yesterday.

Old 04-09-2007, 08:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by muse1110 View Post
Gorgeous weather in most of England for days now. We've been in shorts since last week, lovely Easter Sunday yesterday.
Sorry, I didn't mean to insult, but you know what it's like in London during any other March/April. I heard the weather was unseasonably warm in Northern Europe right now. I hope it keeps up!

Old 04-09-2007, 08:25 AM

I do not think you insulted anyone. Fish and chips would be good though!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte