Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-06-2007, 09:19 PM

362 posts, read 1,345,320 times

Advertisements

For all of those who have recently moved to Charlotte how long did it take, from the time that you first considered Charlotte as a possible place to move, until you finally pulled up in front of your new apartment/house with your moving truck?

I mean, complete start to finish....including everything in between like online research, trips to visit the area, getting your home ready to sell and then selling it, job searching, interviews, packing....the total time, in days, weeks, months, years, anything. I'm not asking how long it took you to do each individual thing...just the total amount of time from start to finish, as in 7 months or 11 weeks.

My husband and I realize that selling a home and job searching will vary from person to person, but we're trying to figure out a realistic, practical timeline for when we can hope and expect to be in Charlotte. We don't want to say approximately six months, if it generally takes most people a year and a half, and vice versa. We haven't made a MAJOR move like this since we were singles just out of college years ago, with no house, job, or *stuff* to speak of. So it'll be a lot different than anything we've ever done, since now we have all of those things and we have to sell our house and get jobs (at least one of us) before we can move. I'd just like to get a feel for how long it took all of you to get out there, once you decided to check out Charlotte as a possibility.

Any takers????

Last edited by AOYAS; 04-06-2007 at 10:02 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-06-2007, 10:28 PM

244 posts, read 1,050,423 times
We're not in Charlotte yet, but have been planning the move for about ten years! He was first offered a job in Charlotte when we first got married, but the timing wasn't right for us.

We are very close to our families so this has been a tough decision. We knew ten years ago that we'd eventually be moving down. (This was way before it became the "it" thing to do).

Now we have a family, and before my little ones start kindergarten, I'd like to be down in Union County. I have been researching and visiting for two years now.

It's a big move for us. I'm coming from a small town in NJ, but many factors and reasons have brought us to this decision. My husband went to school down south and had always loved it. When I was in college, I was very drawn to the Carolinas, so its not a surprise for me that it keeps presenting itself in my life. I feel that I'm home there.

We have had our eye on the area, watching to see how the influx of people is affecting things. That scares me a bit. B

Otherwise, it's drawing near the time we will be heading down.

Old 04-06-2007, 10:37 PM

2,115 posts, read 7,085,688 times
A little under 10 weeks but we didn't have a house to sell back home and the first house we contracted on fell through (if this deal had not fallen apart the entire move would have been about seven weeks). So, two visits and 9.5 weeks later we were in our new home, start to finish. We have two of our four kids with us. The oldest two are college students in Jersey.

SL

Old 04-06-2007, 11:21 PM

239 posts, read 877,700 times
From 1st consideration to moving date, about 6-7 months. As soon as we sold our home we moved.

Old 04-07-2007, 06:03 AM

4,139 posts, read 11,488,479 times
DH started applying for jobs in Raleigh in January of 2005. We left Los Angeles on Feb. 25th, 2005 and got into Charlotte on March 1st. So, about six weeks.

He interviewed in Raleigh but they hired him for their Charlotte office.

Dawn

Old 04-07-2007, 06:47 AM

1,141 posts, read 3,544,898 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AOYAS View Post
For all of those who have recently moved to Charlotte how long did it take, from the time that you first considered Charlotte as a possible place to move, until you finally pulled up in front of your new apartment/house with your moving truck?

I mean, complete start to finish....including everything in between like online research, trips to visit the area, getting your home ready to sell and then selling it, job searching, interviews, packing....the total time, in days, weeks, months, years, anything. I'm not asking how long it took you to do each individual thing...just the total amount of time from start to finish, as in 7 months or 11 weeks.

My husband and I realize that selling a home and job searching will vary from person to person, but we're trying to figure out a realistic, practical timeline for when we can hope and expect to be in Charlotte. We don't want to say approximately six months, if it generally takes most people a year and a half, and vice versa. We haven't made a MAJOR move like this since we were singles just out of college years ago, with no house, job, or *stuff* to speak of. So it'll be a lot different than anything we've ever done, since now we have all of those things and we have to sell our house and get jobs (at least one of us) before we can move. I'd just like to get a feel for how long it took all of you to get out there, once you decided to check out Charlotte as a possibility.

Any takers????
26 years from the 1st time I came to Charlotte.

Old 04-07-2007, 07:14 AM

132 posts, read 471,683 times
I don't know if we count since we were moving from Atlanta back to Charlotte where we are from, so we knew more about the city (therefore no research other than what area of the city to live in).
We found out we were being transferred in October, and moved in at the end of March.

Anita

Old 04-07-2007, 01:39 PM

362 posts, read 1,345,320 times
Did many of you live in an apartment for a while when you first moved here, while scouting out areas and house-hunting?

Or did you do your preliminary neighborhood/house-hunting BEFORE you moved to Charlotte, and then you bought a house either before you moved to Charlotte, or immediately or almost immediately after moving here?

I would really prefer to not have to live in an apartment when we first get there. But we live in AZ, and we'll probably only be able to visit Charlotte a couple times, for a few days each time, before we move there. I'm wondering if it'll be too difficult to really assess the areas, and decide where we'd like to purchase a home, until we've actually lived there for a little while. Were many of you able to do that?

How many trips did you take to Charlotte, before you knew what area you'd like to live in, and before you found your perfect neighborhood?

Thanks!

Last edited by AOYAS; 04-07-2007 at 01:54 PM..

Old 04-07-2007, 01:50 PM

3 posts, read 7,126 times
Still working on the relocation. I went to visit friends in Charlotte in Nov06 and knew I wanted to make the move. Went back to Boston to do some more research and make it through the holidays and finally put my condo on the market last month (March). Whichever comes first, the condo sale or the job, I hope to be there in the next couple of months but at the same time I"m trying to be realistic and think it may take another 3-4 months before I'm actually there.

Old 04-07-2007, 01:51 PM

889 posts, read 3,116,979 times
Decided in Nov. of last year, sold the house by April. Came out after a solid offer, house hunted over a short weekend but closed deals on two homes ( one was yet to be built) all in one weekend. Moved out of our home in May,lived with family untill we could leave our jobs and was out by mid June of last year.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte