U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-15-2009, 02:02 PM

630 posts, read 1,674,841 times

Advertisements

Also a 2008 car could have been sitting at the lot for almost 2 years depending on the build date. If you wait for the 2010s to come out in a few months, they should almost be giving those away.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-15-2009, 02:04 PM

16,301 posts, read 24,900,506 times
Nothing changes a car salesman's mind quicker than seeing your backside as you walk toward the exit. 8% on a vehicle loan is completely out of line today.

Do you want a 2008, or a 2009. When they try to push an 08, just say "NO", show me an 09 or show me where the exit is. A consumer today should be in the catbird seat,

Old 05-15-2009, 02:08 PM

2,147 posts, read 3,660,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flexysteve View Post
We went to Lake Norman Honda about a year and a half ago (didn't trade in a car so we didn't run into any problems.)

I emailed all of the local Honda places about what we wanted and how much we wanted to pay. They came back with a good deal. The other dealers came back with "we'll match them" kind of BS but didn't offer hard and fast numbers. So we went into LKN Honda with the numbers and email and bought it. The other dealers kept emailing asking if I was still interested and all the great deals they had. I emailed back "I wanted real numbers which I plainly stated in the email I sent. LKN Honda did that and I chose them because of that"

Also know that they make as much or more on financing then they do on the sale. Go in there saying you're thinking of financing with them but want to see how the numbers work out and talk price, not monthly payments. Lure them along thinking they'll get that extra 8% or whatever and then when it comes to sign tell them you have your own financing in place or are just going to pay cash.

Don't be afraid to go through the process and walk out. They'll call back. They need you more than you need them.
Good advise except I would be cautious about buying from Lake Norman Honda as mentioned in a previous thread. http://www.lakenormanheraldweekly.com/archive_papers/lnhw/lnhw2009_05_08.pdf (broken link)

Old 05-15-2009, 02:14 PM

6,772 posts, read 11,869,787 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asheville Native View Post
Nothing changes a car salesman's mind quicker than seeing your backside as you walk toward the exit. 8% on a vehicle loan is completely out of line today.

Do you want a 2008, or a 2009. When they try to push an 08, just say "NO", show me an 09 or show me where the exit is. A consumer today should be in the catbird seat,
It depends on your credit..if you are Super Preferred then yes, 8 is high.

The cars still cost the same to make as they did b4 the economy went to crap. Believe it or not, dealers do not make that much gross on new cars, it's all on the back end of the deal, or used cars that they make their money.

My family is in the car business, so I kno a little about it.

Old 05-15-2009, 02:16 PM

1,343 posts, read 2,915,017 times
You started my thread for me... thanks. Just ordered a Honda CRV through a buying service. Went to 2 dealers, one had a 2008 model they wanted to sell me, the other had a demo (not sure of miles) they wanted to sell me. I am happy with the price I am paying, but guess what? I have nothing to compare it to because the dealer never gave me a firm price!

Old 05-15-2009, 04:13 PM

35,885 posts, read 67,029,152 times
I get cars waaaaaay below sticker. I bought my last car in 2007. Just went in and said - here is the model I want, here is what I am going to pay - please don't waste my time - there are a gazillion dealers between Charlotte and Boone.

I even got them to throw in extras, such as running boards and nice floor mats.

So I don't know . . . I don't haggle. Match my deal or I walk. I don't even waste 15 minutes. I get up and walk. I have been buying cars this way since 1978 - ranging from Mercedes Benz to Porsche to Jeep to Ford to Miata to Toyota.

The key is - check out Edmunds and any other comps b/f you go . . . If they don't act interested within the first five to eight minutes of conversation, just leave.

ETA: I bought a Jeep in 2005. The guy said: "This is not a reasonable offer. Our salesmen have to feed their families. They won't make a penny off this." My reply? "Not my problem that you don't pay your people a living wage. You want to sell a car, or not?" I just don't have time for that BS. BTW - they sold me the car, threw in a tire cover and fog lamps, to boot.

Old 05-16-2009, 07:39 AM

3,774 posts, read 6,992,399 times
I was looking at a new car for my wife lately... I did just what Ani said, looked at the comps, the extras, the invoice prices, the high and low prices, figured out what I wanted and what I would pay.

THEN I went to the dealers. I walked around the parking lot to look at the model I wanted. When I saw their actual ASKING price I knew I'd never get the car I wanted so I just left.

I absolutely couldn't believe the prices! They were THOUSANDS more than my research led me to believe would be 'sticker', and I wasn't even going to pay 'sticker'. It was precisely at that moment that I decided our paid-off cars were going to be just fine for a while longer.

So now I'm kinda in a conundrum! Can I believe my internet research? Do people REALLY get good deals on cars (paying 1 or 2K above invoice) or is it bluster to make the rest of us feel stupid? If I have to finance a car with dealer at some absurd rate to get a good "price", I'm walking every time... I want to pay cash and get a good deal!

Old 05-16-2009, 07:45 AM

6,772 posts, read 11,869,787 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Native_Son View Post
I was looking at a new car for my wife lately... I did just what Ani said, looked at the comps, the extras, the invoice prices, the high and low prices, figured out what I wanted and what I would pay.

THEN I went to the dealers. I walked around the parking lot to look at the model I wanted. When I saw their actual ASKING price I knew I'd never get the car I wanted so I just left.

I absolutely couldn't believe the prices! They were THOUSANDS more than my research led me to believe would be 'sticker', and I wasn't even going to pay 'sticker'. It was precisely at that moment that I decided our paid-off cars were going to be just fine for a while longer.

So now I'm kinda in a conundrum! Can I believe my internet research? Do people REALLY get good deals on cars (paying 1 or 2K above invoice) or is it bluster to make the rest of us feel stupid? If I have to finance a car with dealer at some absurd rate to get a good "price", I'm walking every time... I want to pay cash and get a good deal!
Cash doesn't matter, but yes you can get a car for 1 or 2k above sticker.

Old 05-16-2009, 07:58 AM

3,774 posts, read 6,992,399 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sophialee View Post
Cash doesn't matter, but yes you can get a car for 1 or 2k above sticker.
It doesn't seem very likely when they are asking for 6-7K over what I expected to pay... maybe my information about "sticker price" is off? Do y'all think Edmunds is reliable?

Old 05-16-2009, 08:18 AM

35,885 posts, read 67,029,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Native_Son View Post

I negotiate for my family members, even. And yes, the males let me negotiate for them.

Salesmen have a bizillion lines of BS. They see it as a mental dance. You see, if you are on the lot . . . you are obviously interested. And if you come in looking at one specific thing, they figure you are already hooked. So, they have the upper hand - you are VULNERABLE!!!!! They know this.

What I do is go by the lot after hours plus review whatever stock they have listed on their website. I find my target vehicle, but I don't necessarily tell them wh/ one is my target vehicle.

I do all my research and have my financing figured out beforehand. Every situation is different, b/c sometimes there is a trade-in involved, sometimes their isn't. I also have my payments figured out, based on different scenarios.

What you do is go to the dealership and doubtless they will have a sales rep whose "turn" it is to talk to the next customer who walks in. Just tell him you are a serious car buyer and you have several models you are interested in and one of them happens to be their product. Make it clear you are looking at OTHER DEALERS as well.

For ex., let's say you want the Honda FIT. Find two other cars, such as a Toyota and a Subaru that are in about the same price range. If the rep asks what other cars you are looking at - tell him but say - look, it all depends on the deal and I am not interested in wasting time discussing the pros and cons of this Honda Fit. I have already done my research. All I am looking for now is whether you can sell me this model for the price point I am looking for, so let's cut to the chase and not waste each other's time. Just show me what is on the lot that matches these specs. Then give him the specs you found while doing your research on the lot/online. Like - maybe the one you really want has tinted windows and special wheel covers.

Cut the BS out upfront. Look VERY serious. They are gonna want to do the drive around thing, chew the fat, and try to "analyze" you - all the sales techniques they have been taught. Just stick to your line - you are serious but you don't like wasting time - this ain't gonna be an all day dance.

Then sit down and hear what they have to say about price. Always bring a pad of paper. Write down your offer, but make it a little lower than you will actually be willing to pay. They will start the line about how there is no way, etc. Say - really? Well, my research indicates you can. How about talking to your manager about it? Then be prepared to wait 20 minutes. They are gonna be behind closed doors trying to figure out how to come close to your price and what line to give you as to why they cannot meet your price. When they come back out, be ready to walk, but go ahead and write down another price ON YOUR PAD OF PAPER. Do not do this verbally. Always write it down on paper. Do not verbally say a thing - just hand them the paper. Come up a bit but add something - like - different wheel covers, upgrade on radio, fog lamps - whatever (have this figured out ahead of time). Make it too much extra stuff, LOL. The idea is to get what you want within a few hundred dollars of your ideal price, and get extras thrown in at their expense, cause a lot of things they can add at a very low cost. You can give up the extra stuff if you get the price near to what you want, or you can act like you are ready to sign but won't unless they come up w/ more goodies or lower the price. You just have to gauge it step by step.

If they continue to whine about how they can't do it, just stand up - put your hand out - and say - well I won't waste your time. Have a business card or have your contact info written down, hand that to them and say - if you change your mind or come up with some new figures, let me know. Shake hands. THEN WALK.

And go to the next dealer. Who cares how far you have to drive? I sure the heck don't. The last three new cars I have bought have been from a dealer in Boone. I couldn't get the deals I wanted in Charlotte, so I worked my way up to Hickory and then to Boone.

The second time I walked into the dealership at Boone, everyone started laughing, and they teased me about all the sales reps wanting to go hide cause no one wanted to deal with me, LOL. The third time I came bearing Buffalo Wings, I walked in and my former sales rep said - OH NO! NOT ANI AGAIN! Someone's gonna get a hurtin' put on 'em today!

I have also sent them business over the years and drop by regularly to just say HI. So even tho I am a harda$$, doesn't mean it can't be pleasant (or even FUN).

I always go at the end of the month, too, cause that is when they do quotas and it appears to me that they are more willing to get serious about sales.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte