Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-16-2009, 11:59 AM

59 posts, read 138,312 times

Advertisements

Lake Norman is unbelievable and much bigger with better dining options.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-16-2009, 02:25 PM

45,218 posts, read 100,712,871 times
If I were to move from my present home and stay in the metro area, my #1 choice would be to go to Tega Cay and buy a home on Lake Wylie. First of all, the little town is AWESOME and close knit, and secondly the lake is just so much less crowded and peaceful. Windjammer Park is a great place to hang out for the day too - you have to be a city resident to use it so it never gets overcrowded either.

Lake Wylie over Lake Norman in a heartbeat

Old 05-16-2009, 03:19 PM

210 posts, read 507,735 times
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
If I were to move from my present home and stay in the metro area, my #1 choice would be to go to Tega Cay and buy a home on Lake Wylie. First of all, the little town is AWESOME and close knit, and secondly the lake is just so much less crowded and peaceful. Windjammer Park is a great place to hang out for the day too - you have to be a city resident to use it so it never gets overcrowded either.

Lake Wylie over Lake Norman in a heartbeat
Hey Loves, we checked out Tega Cay a few weeks ago, and the houses were so close! I was looking forward to house hunting there, but it reminded me of Green Harbor in Duxbury and Brant Rock in Marshfield (MASS). Not sure if I'm ready for the closeness. Although I do like a closeknit community. Here in Lochurst my neighbors all help each other, and I don't want to miss that.

But we are definitely looking at living on Lake Wylie as one of our choices. (read "my choice" there)

Old 05-16-2009, 03:34 PM

45,218 posts, read 100,712,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragdoll Kitty Lover View Post
Hey Loves, we checked out Tega Cay a few weeks ago, and the houses were so close! I was looking forward to house hunting there, but it reminded me of Green Harbor in Duxbury and Brant Rock in Marshfield (MASS). Not sure if I'm ready for the closeness. Although I do like a closeknit community. Here in Lochurst my neighbors all help each other, and I don't want to miss that.

But we are definitely looking at living on Lake Wylie as one of our choices. (read "my choice" there)
I know what you mean about the lots being smallish, but with the lake in your backyard I could deal with having a smaller yard! And frankly, less yard work is a plus in my book these days, lol!

Old 05-16-2009, 07:06 PM

299 posts, read 1,071,579 times
Nice fish!!!!

Old 05-17-2009, 01:18 PM

4,761 posts, read 7,834,325 times
I'm sitting here looking at Lake Wylie right now. I also lived on Norman for a number of years.

While Wylie is much less crowded than Norman, it can get as dense, or even more dense as far as boat traffic. On Norman you will typically have quite a bit of room on either side of you while out and about. On Wylie, you might find it a bit cramped from time to time, especially around the Buster Boyd bridge area.

The water quality, in my mind, is lower than Norman and Mountain Island (if you want quiet, that's the ticket) since it is downstream. And Wylie has the annual sewer spill it seems. As far as eating fish out of this lake, not a chance for me. Catch and release. There is only one restaurant on the lake (T-Bones) and nowhere near as many gas docks or boat ramps in comparison to Norman. There are also far fewer people in the area.

If I had to make a choice between Norman and Wylie, I wouldn't. I'd go to Mountain Island. Much better commute. Less traffic. Fewer people. Houses are cheaper. The list goes on and on. The only downside to Mountain Island is if you have a boat, its BYOG. Bring your own gas. No gas docks out there (that I know of). It really wouldn't be an issue unless you kept a large cruiser on the water.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte