U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-07-2007, 09:31 PM

2,115 posts, read 6,440,324 times

Advertisements

This is our back yard in Monroe, or "out in the county."

Sara
Attached Thumbnails
Does anyone know of land-north-carolina-october-2006-074.jpg  
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-07-2007, 09:34 PM

These are my boys in the field behind our house.

Sara
Attached Thumbnails
Does anyone know of land-picture-043.jpg  

Old 04-08-2007, 10:52 AM

18,434 posts, read 29,393,730 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saralee View Post

Sara
fresh air having fun, sounds good!

Old 04-09-2007, 07:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cinderobyn View Post
fresh air having fun, sounds good!
Sometimes I wonder if we are total freaks, as we have all adjusted to our new home without any problems.

Our biggest issue is missing the 2 oldest who remained in Jersey (19 and 20, both college students) and the grandbaby. I believe that ultimately they will relocate.

I thought my DH would take me up on my suggestion to drive back to Jersey for Memorial Day weekend and he opted instead to follow-through on our plans to host a big Memorial Day BBQ here.

I feel more connected to our new community than I ever did back in Jersey. Relocating to UC was a very good decision for our family.

I truly hope that you will find yourself at peace with whatever decision you and your family ultimately make.

SL

Old 04-09-2007, 07:47 AM

1,304 posts, read 3,867,435 times
Default Soybean crop

Quote:

Sara
Hey Sara - Just thought you'd be interested to know that the field behind you is a soybean crop. Teach your children to tread lightly through there, because that crop is someone's livelyhood.

My brother, who farms, loses acres of crops each year to newcomers who think they are playing in a park or open field when, in fact, they are trampling newly sown wheat crops, etc. I'm not speaking of little boys walking through, but bigger kids on three-wheeler ATV's or even groups of folks on horseback. Just want everyone to be aware that these are actual crops (think how you might feel if your kids trampled through your garden).

Not picking on you, Sara! I'm sure your little guys are fine...just thought this a good place to put this info out there.

Old 04-09-2007, 08:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marvinnative View Post
Hey Sara - Just thought you'd be interested to know that the field behind you is a soybean crop. Teach your children to tread lightly through there, because that crop is someone's livelyhood.

My brother, who farms, loses acres of crops each year to newcomers who think they are playing in a park or open field when, in fact, they are trampling newly sown wheat crops, etc. I'm not speaking of little boys walking through, but bigger kids on three-wheeler ATV's or even groups of folks on horseback. Just want everyone to be aware that these are actual crops (think how you might feel if your kids trampled through your garden).

Not picking on you, Sara! I'm sure your little guys are fine...just thought this a good place to put this info out there.
I appreciate the lesson and insight. I plead ignorance on a great many subjects -- crops being one of them. The boys aren't allowed back there anymore but not because I was brilliant enough to deduce on my own what was out there but for safety reasons since I noticed some bigger boys (not from this subdivision -- not sure where they come from) riding their ATVs out there. I will let them know there are additional reasons to stay away. We have a GREAT many things to learn.

I've wondered though if something new is planned for the land back there. Everything has been cut down for months and my DH honestly thought he saw signs of building. We've been (anxiously) waiting to see what happens next. New homes would be a disappintment and our two lane road in and out of this area would easily become increibly congested.

SL

Old 04-09-2007, 08:10 AM

2,314 posts, read 2,107,520 times
Quote:
I appreciate the lesson and insight. I plead ignorance on a great many subjects -- crops being one of them. The boys aren't allowed back there anymore but not because I was brilliant enough to deduce on my own what was out there but for safety reasons since I noticed some bigger boys (not from this subdivision -- not sure where they come from) riding their ATVs out there. I will let them know there are additional reasons to stay away. We have a GREAT many things to learn.

I've wondered though if something new is planned for the land back there. Everything has been cut down for months and my DH honestly thought he saw signs of building. We've been (anxiously) waiting to see what happens next. New homes would be a disappintment and our two lane road in and out of this area would easily become increibly congested.

SL
No my inlaws lease land to some farmers who also plant soy. I believe they come out later to do whatever it is they do.

Old 04-09-2007, 08:15 AM

478 posts, read 1,878,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marvinnative View Post
bigger kids on three-wheeler ATV's or even groups of folks on horseback. Just want everyone to be aware that these are actual crops (think how you might feel if your kids trampled through your garden).
Feelings aside, is this a legal offense, like trespassing (hope so)?

Are ATVs common in more rural areas in Union County, etc? Kids can ride these things (yikes)?

Old 04-09-2007, 08:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by muse1110 View Post
Feelings aside, is this a legal offense, like trespassing (hope so)?

Are ATVs common in more rural areas in Union County, etc? Kids can ride these things (yikes)?
Tresspassing, GULP, I'm sure it is.

Lots of ATVs around here, lots of kids riding them but we're outside of city limits so there's quite a bit of open land. Our neighbor's 5-year-old rides one. They frighten me.

SL

Old 04-09-2007, 08:24 AM

478 posts, read 1,878,154 times
I can't imagine it is safe for someone as young as 5 to operate an ATV! I have to believe manufacturer's discourage that...or even vehicle laws say that isn't legal.

It's hard, isn't it? Want the kids to have a safe, natural outdoor type of childhood, but then all these necessary laws. We're lucky in England there are so many footpaths, bridleways, protected green areas to walkabout. But in your case, it would be very hard to know that's soy/wheat/whatever planted there! How many adverts on tv feature children/beautiful woman walking through 'fields of gold'?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or