U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-07-2007, 10:25 AM

18,434 posts, read 29,390,516 times

Advertisements

In Union? 3/4 acre to an acre? I have done some searches, but can someone help with what some good zips would be? I came up with a couple that are in Monroe, but looking on the map it looks like they are not very far into the country. Whichever area of Union we go into, of course good schools, but we would like city water,sewer. My dh gets Modular idea every once in a while, so he wants to weigh the two, resale against land and modular. Alot of the listings say no mobile/modular. Some say modular ok. I still like the resale 1990s homoes that I think are in Weddington???

Also, for the person who gave me bad rep because I ,'post every thought that comes to my mind.' You must be reading all of my posts. Just stop reading them. If I am in Charlotte right then and there, and the day before we seemed to be stuck in the same area, heck yea... I would like some help as far as to where to look. If I want to know if your kids do chores... maybe I want to know if my kids are fitting in or sticking out. Snow is exciting. At least I am not causing a riot act up on this board like some are... and why not give your name to me? Maybe my brain is functioning at higher capacity, and I just think more... hmm so sorry

And to the rest who I have asked about the land, I apologize for the paragraph above. I wish ill upon no person. I give positive rep only, and when I see people acting like bafoons, I take it as what it is.
Hope everyones Easter is great!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-07-2007, 03:48 PM

348 posts, read 317,718 times
I don't believe it's realistic to buy land in Union County at a reasonable price unless you go way far out. All the builders basically get first dibs on the best pieces and the rest goes out to the realtors. I looked for about two years and basically gave up. Every single time I drove to a piece of land it was on a gravel road, near power lines, on a main drag or something else undesirable.

The builders give finders fees to the brokers or hound farmers to sell. You just can't compete with that. Again, you may have some luck out in boonies union if that's what you want.

Old 04-07-2007, 05:36 PM

it could be that we just have to stick w resale... who knows. But, we were way far out, and the only thing out there, I think we were on hwy 84 and we liked it out there, there were alot of subdivisions out there, in the making, and there were some that had been there, but we had stumbled across them. We were just driving around after leaving CPMorgan...eeek, and we really liked the feel out there, the country, but not far from the city, not even that far from Charlotte. On last Saturday when we went out driving i think all we basically saw in Union was the 'city' areas of the different areas in Union. I had NO IDEA it all went out so far! I did like the boonies...and I am a city girl!!!

Old 04-07-2007, 06:04 PM

390 posts, read 1,366,264 times
Hi, Cindy! I have to agree with lisaf that it's really hard to come by decent pieces of land in NC anywhere around Charlotte. We looked for a year and ended up buying a lot in Tega Cay that we're building on. It's a great area with great schools, and there is some land available, if you are interested in expanding your search range.

Old 04-07-2007, 06:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by megassel View Post
Hi, Cindy! I have to agree with lisaf that it's really hard to come by decent pieces of land in NC anywhere around Charlotte. We looked for a year and ended up buying a lot in Tega Cay that we're building on. It's a great area with great schools, and there is some land available, if you are interested in expanding your search range.
Hi there! I am actually looking in Union for the schools for my dd. She has Aspergers Syndrome, and I am pleased with the programming that they offer. We'll figure something out I suppose

Old 04-07-2007, 07:39 PM

536 posts, read 1,539,930 times
Hi cinderobyn,

That person you are complaining about should check out the thread I just put up, regarding "Blocking people out".

Down to business, can you specify the size and price of land you are looking for, and please give specifics as to which school. Maybe I can help?

Thanks,
Keith

Old 04-07-2007, 07:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith "Baby-Face" Lutz View Post
Hi cinderobyn,

That person you are complaining about should check out the thread I just put up, regarding "Blocking people out".

Down to business, can you specify the size and price of land you are looking for, and please give specifics as to which school. Maybe I can help?

Thanks,
Keith
Hey there... I am thinking about an acre. Porter Ridge? Sun Valley? I thank you

Old 04-07-2007, 08:06 PM

2,115 posts, read 6,439,933 times
Robyn,

Just want to make sure I understand ... you two are discussing building on an acre as opposed to resale? And, you are or aren't OK with the "country"?

SL

Old 04-07-2007, 08:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by saralee View Post
Robyn,

Just want to make sure I understand ... you two are discussing building on an acre as opposed to resale? And, you are or aren't OK with the "country"?

SL
dh wants to compare resale and land w modular, I love the country... I was out in the boondocks on 84 and lovin it! I do want to be around people though. We are open right now to different options. I guess since it will be a fresh start for us, we should weigh what we are doing. I know cp morgan is out of the ?? lol

Old 04-07-2007, 09:25 PM

2,115 posts, read 6,439,933 times
OK. Got it.

I truly love where we live, outside of city limits or "out in the county" as the locals say. But we are very close to the city line and thus, we have semi-rural living with city conveniences very nearby.

We live in a non-HOA subdivision that is only one street and a handful of homes. Our house looks out on hundreds of acres of farmland. Our neighborhood is not perfect manicured lawns, devoid of personality. We live amongst natives and transplants. There are homes very nearby in desperate need of repair. But there are also stately brick homes with private ponds and lots of acreage mixed in. On a good day, depending on the direction the wind is blowing, you can smell the manure in the air and the chicken coops. I'm loving every minute of it and I was born and raised in the inner city. What a welcome change of pace. We have neighbors within walking distance but they are not on top of us. We value our privacy and cherish our relationship with the neighbors.

I have fantasies about moving further out into the county. Many Sundays we drive out into rural Monroe, sometimes crossing over into South Carolina and my kids (city boys) love every moment of the scenery. It still tickles me that kids and adults alike wave as we drive by. If you stop, they'll talk to you, ask where you're from and where you're headed. We're awe struck looking at the horses, cows, goats, chickens even though it really is a part of our daily lives at this point.

Despite the cool weather, we spent an extensive amount off time outside today. My boys ran wild with the neighbor boys into the fields behind our home. My DH was organizing the shed, talking to neighbors, etc. I was in disbelief, inhaling the scent of onions (our lawn was cut today and wild onions grow like crazy), looking out at my boys, letting the breeze overcome me. I was quite emotional, having realized my dream of giving my boys some space to run and be themselves. All I could think was how proud my mother would be seeing that we had finally become homeowners (an impossible feat back home).

Back home I was known to keep the house dark. DH would complain about me not opening the blinds and I would tell him it made me uncomfortable to open the blinds because the homes were so close. I felt exposed. If I could overhear the neighbors conversations, they could certainly hear ours. But here, the moment I'm up I open the blinds and the windows to air out the house. Now I don't see inside someone's house when I open my blinds. Now I get to look out onto the countryside.

I frequently tell DH that the moment someone begins building a subdivision in our backyard, it's time for us to move on. I told him I want the next home on a minimum of 5 acres. I'm not letting go of my dream but realistically speaking Robyn, if we lived further out right now, it would be an incredible inconvenience. I think you'd find yourself too isolated if you went into the "country" so to speak. You and DH work full-time, you have young children who will be involved in various activities plus I'm sure that in addition to the regular Mom's list of chores you have multiple therapeutic appointments. Living out in the country would likely wear you out in very little time.

If I were in Jersey, my oldest is getting to an age where I would begin to expect him to use public transportation to get to his swimming and ice skating lessons. But here I realize that I have years left of being their private taxi. I spend A LOT of time in my car going back and forth to my oldest's school, therapy and medical appointments, the supermarket, the gym, etc. If we lived further out, we would do far less simply because there are only so many hours in the day and I wouldn't be able to accomplish it all.

I believe that you could find a resale that would make you happy, in an area with some breathing space but still amongst neighbors and not too far from city conveneniences. They are out there.

Much luck to you sweetie.

Sincerely,

SL
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or