U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-16-2009, 04:59 PM

27,903 posts, read 34,437,106 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Two shelters have closed temporarily in Charlotte, N.C. , because of bedbugs, a Yahoo chat group dedicates itself to sufferers and countless bedbug blogs provide forums for news, tips and commiseration. State inspectors say that more emphasis may be needed to tackle the creatures.
Federal officials have taken notice of the resurgence. Last month, the Environmental Protection Agency held its first-ever bedbug summit, and now a North Carolina congressman wants to take on the insect.
Boom in tiny bedbugs is causing big trouble (http://news.yahoo.com/s/mcclatchy/20090515/sc_mcclatchy/3234191_1 - broken link)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-16-2009, 06:03 PM

873 posts, read 1,545,238 times
I've done several bed bug treatments in this area...in fact, had another call on Friday from Lincolnton. They are hard to control and treatment has to be extensive and thorough. Because of that, treatments are also expensive. You'll have a hard time running down to Lowe's and buying anything to take care of this. Usually, one treatment won't eliminate them.

Old 05-16-2009, 09:26 PM

359 posts, read 1,016,296 times
ugh, this is not what i want to hear with having a move coming up soon..how will i know that there are no bugs in the truck when we move furniture matresses etc...i hate bugs...lol..

Old 05-16-2009, 10:55 PM

852 posts, read 2,217,906 times
Bugguy do you know the name of the powder you buy to sprinkle around your bed so that if you travel you don't bring them back with you. My husband travels a lot and stays in a lot of hotels and we don't want the little mites back in our house. I heard that you can buy something that keeps them off you and your luggage.

Old 05-17-2009, 09:00 AM

Sorry, but I don't know of anything like that. I doubt it's that simple. Research it online to see if you can find something like that if it even exists!

Quote:
Originally Posted by smclarke4 View Post
Bugguy do you know the name of the powder you buy to sprinkle around your bed so that if you travel you don't bring them back with you. My husband travels a lot and stays in a lot of hotels and we don't want the little mites back in our house. I heard that you can buy something that keeps them off you and your luggage.

Old 06-22-2009, 07:29 AM

2 posts, read 4,224 times
I own a bed bug detection dog in the Charlotte/Lake Norman area. Local apartments and hotels use us to come in on a quarterly basis.

Old 06-22-2009, 08:02 AM

165 posts, read 507,105 times
Stayed in a hotel that was infested with bed bugs on my way to Charlotte. Well, I shouldn't say stayed because we left upon finding the bed covered in these disgusting creatures. It made me a nervouse wreck, coming into a new house after just have my suitcase in a room with bed bugs. I check all the time but haven't seen anything. Right after the incident, I watched a show about a bed bug detection dog. So amazing!! Should be a great business to have right now.

Old 06-23-2009, 12:11 PM

The "detection dog" is pretty much a gimmick! You don't need a dog to "see" bedbugs! LOL....they aren't that hard to see!

Quote:
Originally Posted by HLaw82 View Post
I watched a show about a bed bug detection dog. So amazing!! Should be a great business to have right now.

Old 06-23-2009, 07:46 PM

396 posts, read 1,502,169 times
Sorry to say that we had this issue in our house this past fall and we ended up replacing the bed in that bedroom. You never know where you might have picked them up. Take my advice....toss the mattress and replace it before the rest of them get infected.

Old 06-23-2009, 07:53 PM

7,109 posts, read 9,732,691 times
On rented houses do they put the liabilty on the LL to rid the apt./house of the bugs??
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte