U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 04-07-2007, 12:17 PM

3 posts, read 5,242 times
Default where to live?

I'm just graduating college and moving to the Charlotte area. I'd like to live in the city, but I don't know too much about the area. What parts of the city are safe, but not too expensive. Or, where outside of the city is nice to live but also has good public transportation to get into the city. I like to have fun and go out to clubs/bars so I want to be able to be in the city or get in and out of the city easily. Any suggestions on where to look?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-07-2007, 08:46 PM

2,314 posts, read 111,368 times
Do you know where you are going to work yet?

Old 04-09-2007, 10:01 PM

3 posts, read 5,242 times
not sure yet.

Old 04-09-2007, 11:12 PM

21,780 posts, read 38,000,822 times
Ideally you want to be close to uptown as you can if you going to rely on the CATS bus system route. I think you might want to live is close to a bus route. Most of CATS buses head from transportation center in uptown to/from their desination a few run after midnight but not many at all. Far as your clubbing goes so keep that in mind that you may need Cab fare. Also you want your commute time to work minimal due to possible bus change overs. There usually about 15 minute layover in daytime hours or 30 minute layover at night depending on buses your transfering from and to.

There will be light rail transit line running in the south corridor parallel to south blvd so that may be ideal place to get but it will not be ready to November as it stands now. If your looking for an apartment look into the various ones off Sharon Road West as a option to consider but for now it a long bus ride due to all the stops between uptown and that location.

Ideally you might go for Dilworth a very fun section of charlotte with lots of character. It is minutes from uptown, and south park, and South End. Plus a great neighborhood area. In Dilworth it had cute shops great restaurants, near Freedom Park, and couple of coffee houses all within walking distance. Caribou Coffee always has a fun crowd at night. Salem Village is apartments that might work for you and there will be shuttle buses to the light rail in future from Dilworth. plus if you do end up taking a cab the rates will not be too extreme from this location.

Other than uptown Dilworth is a ideal central location to meet up with friends. Good Luck.

Old 04-09-2007, 11:13 PM

3 posts, read 3,727 times
If you are looking for an apartment, I would reccommend Eastover Ridge. It is in a good location, close to downtown. And is filled with 20-somethings and people fresh out of college.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte