U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-17-2009, 10:39 AM

10 posts, read 39,784 times

Advertisements

I was just curious if anybody around here buys from Schwans. This past week I flagged the guy down and bought some pizza for dinner. Very good cheese pizza; my husband wasn't crazy for the Ultimate Pepperoni. Might try the "fire" (I think?) one next time.
I'm especially curious if anyone has tried their marinated steaks. Has anyone tried them?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-17-2009, 11:11 AM

35,885 posts, read 67,004,073 times
I buy from Schwans. Have not tried the marinated steaks, tho. Their apple pie is as good as my home-made pie . . . so I can recommend that, LOL. My sons like the individual pizzas and bagel dogs . . . college aged son takes them w/ him and can warm up in microwave while on campus or doing his clinicals. I like the apple flautas. So yes, we have been getting various things f/ Schwans since the mid-80s . . . so I guess that is about 25 years.

Old 05-17-2009, 12:17 PM

314 posts, read 1,039,120 times
I've never bought from them but it's because I always forget about them. Another chat board I read had a discussion about Schwans recently and no negative remarks were made. Highly unusual when a large group puts in their two cents.

Old 05-17-2009, 01:09 PM

19,813 posts, read 55,762,637 times
I used to love their individually flash-frozen fried cheicken drummies! Pop as many as you need/want into the microwave and you have a meal. They are great! but too fatening now.

Old 05-17-2009, 05:40 PM

4,760 posts, read 6,407,764 times
How do their prices compare to grocery stores? I'd love to avoid the local Food Kitty.

Old 05-18-2009, 03:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spankys bbq View Post
How do their prices compare to grocery stores? I'd love to avoid the local Food Kitty.
Their stuff is high quality and higher priced usually than grocery store items. A lot of their stuff is restaurant quality. There are many restaurants around the country that use their stuff (I have been told - maybe they have wholesale accounts???). Their frozen garlic mashed potatoes are so good! You would swear they were freshly made. And their frozen asparagus - perfect. The only downside is that you have to check out the sodium content. They have "heart healthy" stuff, too - and nutrition sheets on all their products, so you can check out the calories, fat, sodium, etc.

We are not crazy over all their items, of course, but there are some (like that unbelievable apple pie) that are simply outstanding and frankly - better than I can do myself (and no clean up in the kitchen!)

Old 05-19-2009, 11:16 AM

386 posts, read 839,166 times
We have ordered from Schwans for many years. My kids LOVE their chicken strips and their chicken fries. Their frozen vegetables are very good - similar if not a little better than the name brands in the store. Their ice cream is much better than most store bought. And their apple flautas - deep fried - delicious!!!!! There aren't many things we haven't liked from Schwans.

Old 05-19-2009, 11:22 AM

6,023 posts, read 11,868,216 times
Sorry but I've tried a few of their products and they absolutely suck. I won't ever buy their lousy food ever again.

Old 05-19-2009, 11:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by catonc View Post
We have ordered from Schwans for many years. My kids LOVE their chicken strips and their chicken fries. Their frozen vegetables are very good - similar if not a little better than the name brands in the store. Their ice cream is much better than most store bought. And their apple flautas - deep fried - delicious!!!!! There aren't many things we haven't liked from Schwans.
So I am not the only one who loves the apple flautas!!! We really like their fire grilled veggies (not sure if that is the right name) and their mediterranean veggies. I don't think it is my imagination that their veggies really are the best frozen quality I have found. Yes, they may be a bit more expensive but they are perfect - nice big pieces and they come out tasting like you just brought them in from the garden. It really is high quality.

I also agree about the ice cream. I don't get it often, but it is delicious. I was told that Schwans actually started out b/c farmers got together to figure out a way to market their milk - so they made ice cream and sold it out of trucks directly to the consumer. Then the business grew from there.

Old 05-19-2009, 11:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickers View Post
Sorry but I've tried a few of their products and they absolutely suck. I won't ever buy their lousy food ever again.
Well, don't know what your criteria for "good" or "non-sucko" is . . . but my family is pretty particular and we have only found a few things over the years that we don't like.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte