U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-20-2009, 06:41 PM

7,041 posts, read 13,104,253 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
It only feels like forever when you know you won't be "home" until you get back Right now I am SOOOO praying we don't have to go to Syracruise, NY - which is where the current best job opportunity is for my husband.
Actually, Loves, I know another family that moved there last year. Now, they were originally from the area, so, they were happy with the move, however, they say that, outside of the snow (and, there is LOTS of snow), it is very similar to Charlotte. It actually might be more to your liking as it is more rural and "country". They maintain their home here in Charlotte as a rental. It might not be so bad.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-20-2009, 06:49 PM

45,270 posts, read 88,302,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagocubs View Post
Actually, Loves, I know another family that moved there last year. Now, they were originally from the area, so, they were happy with the move, however, they say that, outside of the snow (and, there is LOTS of snow), it is very similar to Charlotte. It actually might be more to your liking as it is more rural and "country". They maintain their home here in Charlotte as a rental. It might not be so bad.
That is nice to hear, thanks The amount of snow definitely intimidates me. Biggest problem is that it's just so far from my kids

Old 05-20-2009, 11:16 PM

10 posts, read 24,162 times
I managed to last a year here. I came up from South Florida (transferred with my job). A year was enough for me (actually about 6 months was enough, I've been ready to go for a while now).
Most of the people I've met were very nice and welcoming. But unfortunately, a few of the people I work with were not nice, from day 1. They were mean, unwelcoming, two-faced and have succeeded in running me off. Friday's my last day, and I'm leaving Saturday. Their mission accomplished.

Lesson learned: The grass may be greener on the other side, but there's probably a whole lot of manure involved.

Old 05-21-2009, 12:06 AM

99 posts, read 248,521 times
Hi everyone,

This is my first post so bear with me. I am a thirty year old guy that was born and raised in Charlotte. I graduated from UNCC a few years back after attending school in Chapel Hill and moved to New Orleans, LA for almost two years. My wife (girlfriend at the time) moved back to Charlotte six months before Katrina hit NOLA. I have been fortunate enough to live in a couple of different cities due to being in the National Guard, college, and just overall life experiences.
When I came back to Charlotte I found a job and actually worked three for a total of ablout 90 hours or so a week. (2 fulltime jobs - and one part time) It is absolutely ridiculous in hindsight the amount of people who are moving to Charlotte just because they can get a bigger house or something to that effect. Now I know that this might be a great move for people who are retiring, but people are just assuming that Charlotte is the path to easy street, but all this place has ever been known for is banking. Although I have thought about coming back here after I graduate from law school due to family proximity and the like - I finally came to my senses a few years ago and figured I had to make a decent living on my own instead of making others rich - the economy in Charlotte is just too one dimensional. The biggest employers besides BOA are the school system, city government, and CMC. Currently, I am attending law school at West Virginia University in Morgantown, WV. They also claim to be a great city due to the low employment rate. The catch is it is a college town and anyone can find a 7.00 an hour job there!
With that said, if I do move back to North Carolina, a state that I love, it would only be to the Raleigh area because I might be able to get a job with the Attorney General's office or state government plus its a better area to raise a family. However, since I am entering my last year in school and my wife has decided to get a master's in elementary educationand become a principal we are looking at Houston, Dallas, or Tampa Bay. I have always enjoyed the few trips I have taken to Dallas. The job market in Houston is diversified, the city actually has culture, and the real estate market is great. My only concern is the flooding and hurricanes, but it seems you can't have everything. Since I am seriously considering becoming an energy/environmental/real estate attorney it seems to only make sense to go to the "energy capital of the world." Also, almost all the major oil and gas companies are headquartered in Houston or Dallas. These companies seem to be one of the few sectors of employment that are not suffering from the recession. In fact I am sure they will profit as gas prices begin to rise again.
Additionally, I don;t think people get just how few professional jobs exist here in Charlotte. People from out of state from places like NY, NJ, and the like move here with a couple hundred thou in the bank, so they will be okay for a few years, but most people that move here don't realize that while he real estate market is decent at best there are no jobs to accompany the nice residences here. Houses prices can't drop like they should because newcomers are willing to overpay for a house that would be a steal whereever they came from. Also, maybe someone who has some political connections can do something about this but Charlotte is going to see a homeless explosion like none other in the next 5 years or so. All these new developments downtown have destroyed the housing projects downtown and the city tries to hide the homeless problem at the downtown shelter. Some of the people are able to get back into these communities through subsidized housing, but many more have nowhere to go. The entire areas of North and West Charlotte are being completely gentrified due to the increasing taxes that the city knows the elderly and poor cannot afford to pay. They are forcing these people out of their homes to make way for commericial construction and housing projects. It is quite sad to see, and I know most people don't care, but it is a very real problem to me since I grew up in these areas. However, I do realize that other cities have bigger homeless problems -- like Houston!
Good luck whereever you guys end up...I can't stress enough how important it is to have some education if you are a young person and want to make a move to another place. I really appreciate Charlotte for giving me everything I needed to help myself get off the ground to somewhere I really want to be, and if nothing else it is a great city to use as a launching pad for your education. For people from Ohio, WV, and Kentucky you will probably like it because it is your version of the big city if you are from a smaller area.

Last edited by 1WVULAWGRAD; 05-21-2009 at 01:10 AM.. Reason: incomplete

Old 05-21-2009, 06:06 AM

1,350 posts, read 3,302,435 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ms.Charlotte View Post
We moved to Charlotte for a change of lifestyle, warmer weather, good place to raise a family, lower taxes, etc. We did not come with jobs, but with money to invest in a local business. That business failed and my husband could not find a job that could support our family.
When he got a good offer to come back to NY, we jumped on it!
Now, we are back in NJ and I have to say, I have a new appreciation for my home state. I loved being in Charlotte, don't get me wrong, but I now realize how much this area has to offer. I definitely took it for granted.
I completely understand. I wish I didn't have to leave NJ to appreciate what I had. I am starting to like it better here but I just don't think it will ever be "home". I didn't leave NJ because I really wanted to but more because of the cost of living. Charlotte is a nice area and I have made many friends and even have some old friends from NJ down here. If given the opportunity to move back to NJ I probably would.

Old 05-21-2009, 06:14 AM

9,114 posts, read 15,639,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1WVULAWGRAD View Post
When It is absolutely ridiculous in hindsight the amount of people who are moving to Charlotte just because they can get a bigger house or something to that effect. .
WVUGrad, I beg to differ because I am a transplant who has experienced moving to this area several years ago, so I can give you a perspective that you have not experienced.

I lived within my means up in NJ. Saved, started a family, however my property taxes in a 40 yr old home was approaching 8K a year. This home was an average home in an avg school district about 45min from NYC. My mortgage on the home (even w/a 20% downpayment) was a killer. There was really no room to get ahead.

Now, I was one of the lucky ones, because I have family in the area (Charlotte), so the decision to move was easy. It was just a matter of finding work in my industry. If I didn't have family in the area, I don't know if I would've done the same thing.

When your salary is going to prop taxes and mortgage, its almost impossible to raise a family and get ahead. Who would not want a better life for them and their family?

I fear for many young couples up there, because its just getting worse.

So, try to understand, as many who do not understand here, I lived through what many have gone through.

Old 05-21-2009, 06:18 AM

1,350 posts, read 3,302,435 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
It only feels like forever when you know you won't be "home" until you get back Right now I am SOOOO praying we don't have to go to Syracruise, NY - which is where the current best job opportunity is for my husband.
Loves if you leave it would be a great loss for us in Charlotte. Remember if you have to move you can always come back once things improve, especially if you do not own a home where you relocate. I think that would be one of the things I would have changed when I moved down here. I would not have bought a home right away. I hope you get to stay down here, where your heart is, and that your husband finds a job very soon.

Old 05-21-2009, 06:33 AM

Location: Some got six month some got one solid. But me and my buddies all got lifetime here
4,551 posts, read 9,272,913 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ssd3 View Post
I completely understand. I wish I didn't have to leave NJ to appreciate what I had. I am starting to like it better here but I just don't think it will ever be "home". I didn't leave NJ because I really wanted to but more because of the cost of living. Charlotte is a nice area and I have made many friends and even have some old friends from NJ down here. If given the opportunity to move back to NJ I probably would.

Take it from someone who tried to move back to New Jersey. When you get back you'll be hit with every reason that you moved away in the first place. Some of those reasons you'll never even realize until you're actually there.

For me it became the opposite. I had to leave HERE to truly appreciate what I had.

Old 05-21-2009, 06:33 AM

2,820 posts, read 4,913,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1WVULAWGRAD View Post
Hi everyone,

This is my first post so bear with me. I am a thirty year old guy that was born and raised in Charlotte. I graduated from UNCC a few years back after attending school in Chapel Hill and moved to New Orleans, LA for almost two years. My wife (girlfriend at the time) moved back to Charlotte six months before Katrina hit NOLA. I have been fortunate enough to live in a couple of different cities due to being in the National Guard, college, and just overall life experiences.
When I came back to Charlotte I found a job and actually worked three for a total of ablout 90 hours or so a week. (2 fulltime jobs - and one part time) It is absolutely ridiculous in hindsight the amount of people who are moving to Charlotte just because they can get a bigger house or something to that effect. Now I know that this might be a great move for people who are retiring, but people are just assuming that Charlotte is the path to easy street, but all this place has ever been known for is banking. Although I have thought about coming back here after I graduate from law school due to family proximity and the like - I finally came to my senses a few years ago and figured I had to make a decent living on my own instead of making others rich - the economy in Charlotte is just too one dimensional. The biggest employers besides BOA are the school system, city government, and CMC. Currently, I am attending law school at West Virginia University in Morgantown, WV. They also claim to be a great city due to the low employment rate. The catch is it is a college town and anyone can find a 7.00 an hour job there!
With that said, if I do move back to North Carolina, a state that I love, it would only be to the Raleigh area because I might be able to get a job with the Attorney General's office or state government plus its a better area to raise a family. However, since I am entering my last year in school and my wife has decided to get a master's in elementary educationand become a principal we are looking at Houston, Dallas, or Tampa Bay. I have always enjoyed the few trips I have taken to Dallas. The job market in Houston is diversified, the city actually has culture, and the real estate market is great. My only concern is the flooding and hurricanes, but it seems you can't have everything. Since I am seriously considering becoming an energy/environmental/real estate attorney it seems to only make sense to go to the "energy capital of the world." Also, almost all the major oil and gas companies are headquartered in Houston or Dallas. These companies seem to be one of the few sectors of employment that are not suffering from the recession. In fact I am sure they will profit as gas prices begin to rise again.
Additionally, I don;t think people get just how few professional jobs exist here in Charlotte. People from out of state from places like NY, NJ, and the like move here with a couple hundred thou in the bank, so they will be okay for a few years, but most people that move here don't realize that while he real estate market is decent at best there are no jobs to accompany the nice residences here. Houses prices can't drop like they should because newcomers are willing to overpay for a house that would be a steal whereever they came from. Also, maybe someone who has some political connections can do something about this but Charlotte is going to see a homeless explosion like none other in the next 5 years or so. All these new developments downtown have destroyed the housing projects downtown and the city tries to hide the homeless problem at the downtown shelter. Some of the people are able to get back into these communities through subsidized housing, but many more have nowhere to go. The entire areas of North and West Charlotte are being completely gentrified due to the increasing taxes that the city knows the elderly and poor cannot afford to pay. They are forcing these people out of their homes to make way for commericial construction and housing projects. It is quite sad to see, and I know most people don't care, but it is a very real problem to me since I grew up in these areas. However, I do realize that other cities have bigger homeless problems -- like Houston!
Good luck whereever you guys end up...I can't stress enough how important it is to have some education if you are a young person and want to make a move to another place. I really appreciate Charlotte for giving me everything I needed to help myself get off the ground to somewhere I really want to be, and if nothing else it is a great city to use as a launching pad for your education. For people from Ohio, WV, and Kentucky you will probably like it because it is your version of the big city if you are from a smaller area.
I concur WVULAWGRAD, I too am a native Charlottean who has been here my whole life... It just amazes me the # of newcomers who come here " just to get a larger house"...Like you said they think the path to charlotte is "easy street and its not....It really burns me up when i hear acquaintances that are natives say that they lost out on potential employment opportunities to newcomers to the area....I love Charlotte but I am pondering about moving potentially out west to the New Mexico/Arizona area because there are more career opportunites.

Old 05-21-2009, 07:34 AM

1,574 posts, read 4,348,299 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianH1970 View Post
Take it from someone who tried to move back to New Jersey. When you get back you'll be hit with every reason that you moved away in the first place. Some of those reasons you'll never even realize until you're actually there.

For me it became the opposite. I had to leave HERE to truly appreciate what I had.
LOL, I totally get that, too. Especially now that we are trying to find a home. We look at the $10,000 taxes and fall off our chairs every time.

When I first came back I was so unhappy I would actually ache inside. I had made so many friends in Charlotte and my extended family moved down there after I did. It took some time, but I finally started to see the beauty of this area and to appreciate the genuineness of people.

I did love being in Charlotte, but I think you basically have to find the good wherever you are. I've come to find a lot of "good" here. Minus home prices and taxes, of course.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or