Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-20-2009, 08:12 PM

1,894 posts, read 6,462,346 times

Advertisements

I hear ya parle...opinions on this forum are trusted somewhat more than other websites. Who knows why. That can be both good and bad.

But on the flip side, I can write a post that would keep you reading until next week on solid facts why someone should steer clear of FL (pretty much every part of it) for a long time! I guess it's all in the eye of the beholder whether or not they're facts or strong opinions.

In any case, these forums can be extremely useful in forming an idea of an area. That's why I jump people's case when they get on here and throw a blanket statement over our city, or more specifically, my part of town! Maybe it's a little hypocritical, as someone from Orlando would probably like to jump my case or bad mouthing Central FL, but at least I can say I have lived and am living in those areas and can speak truthfully and as honestly as possible about both.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-23-2009, 03:30 AM

4,713 posts, read 9,697,299 times
We've been here about 11 months now. I had been in Baltimore for the previous 14 years and, having grown up outside of DC, was just pretty much sick of the whole area - too congested, too expensive (among other reasons). I had come to Charlotte for work in the past and just liked the place - it seemed like a good fit of still being in a city, but not quite as crowded, a bit more relaxed and with a lower cost of living - and also close enough that we can go back and visit easily enough when we want. In short - we wanted a change of scenery and liked it here - so we simply decided to pick up and move here. We were lucky in that we both work remotely for our respective companies out of our home offices, so we were able to bring our jobs with us; all we needed to have was internet access and be near an airport.

Old 05-23-2009, 06:01 AM

10 posts, read 27,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmd69 View Post
I'm looking to leave, Ok place but not for me.

Me too... In fact, today is moving day!

Old 05-23-2009, 10:33 AM

6 posts, read 16,392 times
We moved to Charlotte in July 08. We had our choice of pretty much anywhere there is a major airport as husband is a pilot. We chose Charlotte for the lovely weather, beautiful tall trees, access to symphony/ballet/museums/other "downtown" stuff, easy traffic, low cost of living and proximity to both mountains and beach.

Super nice people, beautiful scenery, nice neighborhood...it was a great decision and we love Charlotte!

Old 05-25-2009, 05:20 AM

169 posts, read 475,523 times
Default Following family to Charlotte

We're moving to Union County next month from just outside Baltimore, MD. We're lived in our current house twenty years and in MD thirty five. I really do love it here, have lots of friends and feel part of the community. But... after graduating college and finding a good job our son still couldn't afford to buy a house here. When his company opened an office in Charlotte last year he decided to request a transfer. He spent a lot of time researching the area and shared that info with us. He bought a home in Fort Mill, SC, has made friends and is happy there. We've visited many times and really love it but, most important, we feel very comfortable there. My husband is now retired so we decided to make the move. We need to live in NC so hubby's retirement is not taxed and we have friends who moved to Union County last year so that area made sense to us. Love the opportunity to be close to our son, take advantage of SC low prices, live in NC and start the next phase of our life.

Old 05-26-2009, 02:18 PM

109 posts, read 229,575 times
My husband just moved to Charlotte over the weekend because he got a new job. We're from New England and my husband was laid off from his company last fall. After many months of looking for a job in New England with no luck, we decided to broaden the search to other areas of the country. Neither one of us had ever been to NC before but we thought we'd look into it. We liked what we heard about the state, and my husband wound up applying for a job in Charlotte. The first recruiter down in NC that my husband contacted wound up getting him an interview a few weeks ago. He was offered the position, and in less than two weeks, he had accepted the job, found an apt. and moved in.

We're excited to get to know the south, and NC in particular. We LOVE New England, and we'll miss it a lot, but we're looking forward to this adventure.

Old 05-26-2009, 02:28 PM

380 posts, read 1,756,547 times
We wanted to leave Ohio and move here for the weather, the beauty of the area and the fact that we can now visit our 2 favorite vacation destinations - the mountains and Hilton Head - any weekend we want instead of just once a year. We wanted to be here for the long summers and mild winters because we like being outside. And finally the timing just seemed right. My husband found a job here and so we came. We wouldn't have come here without a job unless we were retiring. Been here since December 07. We are glad we are here even though I still miss my friends and family up north.

Old 05-27-2009, 11:33 AM

4,507 posts, read 9,059,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by superk View Post
Let me ask you a question back. Is that the only reason? Would you have looked to move to somewhere in NC anyway? Or somewhere else? If so, where? I always wonder how many people are here just biding their time until something else comes along.
We moved here only for a job but it doesn't mean we're biding our time until something else comes along. We love it here. DH has turned down several opportunities but now is not the time we would want to be going anywhere. We want to stay put until the kids are done with high school but if something were to happen to DH's job all of our wants take second place to the need to have a job. Did I mention that we also love it here? I can see us staying long after the kids are gone. I'd probably move to a different house but stay in the area.

OP, I don't think we fit the right parameters for your poll as we have been here 6 years and chose to live in Union County as opposed to Charlotte. We came because DH took a new job here. We've never moved anywhere without having a job first. I can't imagine we ever would until we retire and don't need a job to live.

Old 05-27-2009, 12:29 PM

284 posts, read 605,850 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tober138 View Post
In short - we wanted a change of scenery and liked it here - so we simply decided to pick up and move here. We were lucky in that we both work remotely for our respective companies out of our home offices, so we were able to bring our jobs with us; all we needed to have was internet access and be near an airport.
That's pretty much the same story I have, but we also moved here because we already had a "network" of friends and family here. I've worked out of my house since the day I moved here and I truly love the commute to the third floor.

So Union County gets my taxes and Charlotte gets my disposable income, and I'm not taking anyone's job! I'm just good for everyone, aren't I?

Old 05-27-2009, 01:30 PM

165 posts, read 559,304 times
I have been here for close to 6 months. I have mixed feelings about Charlotte. Like the person who started this thread, I'd like to just state my opinion. If people agree with me ok, if not it is my opinion. And I am allowed to have one. Personally, I think the majority of people here are rude. I am not a sensitive person but I was almost in tears leaving the grocery store the other day. I ran into three different women who just basically took up the whole aisle. One of them stopped and stared me down when I said excuse me. She then called me a nasty name, in front of her daughter no less. Our neighbors don't wave back as we drive by. I have noticed that waiters, waitresses, clerks, bartenders, etc seem like you are bothering them. I have meet nothing but nice people on the city-data boards but I feel like every time I go out I have to be overly polite just to get on people's good side. I love the weather, I love how beautiful it is here but I guess I just expected more southern hospitality. Or at least, a few friendly people. Like I said this is just my experience and it's possible I have just met the bad apples in the bunch. And I am sure people are going to say maybe it's just me but I have spoken to a few locals who say the same thing. The locals also told me that people from Charlotte are really not friendly towards newcomers. Not saying thats the case with everyone but I have to agree with them, thus far.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
View detailed profiles of: