U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-20-2009, 07:48 AM

5,288 posts, read 6,350,491 times

Advertisements

I didn't come here looking for work, we were transferred here. They were actually taking jobs away from Chicago and giving them to Charlotte. In my eyes, you have it backwards.

With that said, I love it here, and don't plan on leave. Just got my NC Drivers License a week or two ago

Old 05-20-2009, 07:49 AM

2,158 posts, read 2,356,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverSagess View Post
.................................................. ...
I'll tell ya, as someone who IS moving to Charlotte whether people on this forum like it or not, I am really put off by some people's attitudes towards newcomers.
Not put off enough yet eh?

You will find, like many of us already have, this is a good place to live, but not the only good place to live in the world.

Old 05-20-2009, 07:51 AM

2,820 posts, read 4,914,954 times
It is not that I dont't welcome newcomers to the area because if Charlotte works for you then by all means...but Charlotte is not equipped do deal with the sudden influx of people. Unemployment rate here is ridiculous/there is a lack of affordable housing for many people/Schools are overcrowded/Charlotte's infrastucture was not built to handle the current overload.

Old 05-20-2009, 07:55 AM

7,041 posts, read 13,106,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dscott2009 View Post
It is not that I dont't welcome newcomers to the area because if Charlotte works for you then by all means...but Charlotte is not equipped do deal with the sudden influx of people. Unemployment rate here is ridiculous/there is a lack of affordable housing for many people/Schools are overcrowded/Charlotte's infrastucture was not built to handle the current overload.
Did you move somewhere else and just come back?? Or, maybe you were very ill and in a hospital or something? This has been going on for years....and is not anything new now....

and, why are you writing in red?

Old 05-20-2009, 07:56 AM

299 posts, read 948,844 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by getatag View Post
Not put off enough yet eh?

You will find, like many of us already have, this is a good place to live, but not the only good place to live in the world.
I'm not sure how this message was intended but in the "spirit" of the conversation as a whole I will say: when moving to Charlotte means a hefty 6-figure income, it will do quite nicely for me and my family whether the natives want me there or not. However, I wouldn't agree to move to Charlotte for this promotion unless I truly thought it was a place I could be happy.

Old 05-20-2009, 07:57 AM

620 posts, read 1,918,460 times
Charlotte is actually up there in the number of Fortune 500 companies (in the top 10) not too far off from Atlanta. Even though we lost Wachovia it hasn't changed our position on the list.

This sentence right here is the attitude I just don't get:

"I could see if we we were Phoenix/Los Angeles/ or Las Vegas...but it's Charlotte for pete sake..."

First of all, all of those cities you listed are at the center of the real estate collapse. Second, new companies are still relocating and expanding here. No, it hasn't offset the amount of jobs lost or the people who move here without a job. However, the fact that people want to move here and the fact that most of them are young, college-educated individuals means that it is easier to attract new jobs here because we have a large amount of unemployed talent. Even though it makes the unemployment rate look worse here, it still is a good thing in the long-run. When more people leave your city than come to it that is when it gets bad and then you will really see people freaking out on here. Finally, Charlotte is growing and changing and it's not a sleepy little town anymore. I just don't get the "because this is Charlotte we aren't capable of doing what insert larger city here can do." Anyone who thinks that way is wrong.

Last edited by nyxmike; 05-20-2009 at 08:06 AM..

Old 05-20-2009, 08:07 AM

1,511 posts, read 2,875,620 times
Default You've got to be kidding

Quote:
Originally Posted by dscott2009 View Post
Real estate prices here are ridiculous, taxes are through the roof.
Taxes here on a house twice as big as what I have now in the Chicago area is maybe half of what I am paying now.

Charlotte's real estate market is a great deal compared to quite a few places in the US where people are relocating from.

Old 05-20-2009, 08:14 AM

5,288 posts, read 6,350,491 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagomichauds View Post
Taxes here on a house twice as big as what I have now in the Chicago area is maybe half of what I am paying now.

Charlotte's real estate market is a great deal compared to quite a few places in the US where people are relocating from.

<3 cook county taxes right?

I sooooo miss that.

Old 05-20-2009, 08:16 AM

35,885 posts, read 67,023,037 times
What I have noticed is that the people who seem to get rude to newcomers are NOT the natives but rather others who have moved here in the last few years, LOL. I am not sure what that is all about. ???

I really don't know what your rant is about, Dscott. It is what it is. The whole nation is experiencing a slow down and job layoffs. It happens to be worse here than most places b/c we had the ignoble honor of having 2 banks headquartered here. If you wanna rant, rant about THAT - how the banks were bought out and subsequently, courted to headquarter here . . . and how the banks have essentially run the economy by having jobs that drew people to the area. Now, those same banking industry employees are out of work or facing the possibility of layoffs, job restructuring, transfers, etc. So it isn't "Charlotte" that is the problem - it is the nature of business (banking) that has impacted us. When a city hitches its star to one industry - this is what can happen. There is a big upside w/ prosperity - but there can be a huge downside when things fall apart.

As far as taxes and housing . . . I don't understand your being upset about this . . . every community in America has felt some impact due to declining property values. Our taxes are going to necessarily have to go up to support our strained infrastructure. This has occurred b/c so many people came here, YES. But they were basically INVITED here by banks that had job openings. The banks have now dumped them (guess they canceled the invites) . . . so what people to do ? They are here now, and usually w/ families and they are trying their best to find jobs and get on with their lives.

I just don't understand the hostility to newcomers b/c the people who came basically came with jobs - or quickly got them! At this point in time, people who are relocating either don't realize what a mess things are and are foolishly coming based on the job availability of the past . . . or they are being transferred here or they have landed a job here. The concern I have is for people coming without work - cause I see misery in their futures. But that doesn't mean I resent them coming here - and you shouldn't, either.

I hope our economy will rebound in the next year. I also hope that the thousands of people who have moved here depending on banking industry jobs will either keep their jobs or be able to find new jobs and remain here. This is their HOME, too!!! It isn't easy to pick up and relocate somewhere - especially with children involved.

Have some empathy, friend. We are all in this together.

Old 05-20-2009, 08:23 AM

299 posts, read 948,844 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
What I have noticed is that the people who seem to get rude to newcomers are NOT the natives but rather others who have moved here in the last few years, LOL. I am not sure what that is all about. ???.
You're right Ani. It was unfair of me to make the generalization that it is the natives that are giving us newcomers flack. While the OP of this thread is a newcomer, I'm sure many of the other complainers may not be natives.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or